Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I have a makeup application question; more specifically, a desperate cry for help regarding eyebrows, eye shadow and eyeliner. After researching on YouTube and other internet sources, I still haven't managed to find anyone with an eye shape similar to mine. 

I did a little experiment, where I drew little vertical lines down my lid while looking straight ahead to check just how much of my lid disappears when my eyes are open. See the pics? I was surprised how much is just not showing. No wonder my crease shade never shows!! And that inner corner highlight bit that I see sometimes is a tough one too. When I put it where the people in the tutorials do, I feel like I’m putting sparkly shadow on the sides of my nose.

So, is there anyone out there with a similar eye shape? What do you do? Or does anyone have any pointers in general?

What is good thin eyeliner so that I don’t eat up what little lid space I have with a fat line?

Should I be putting my inner corner highlight on that flap of skin?

Just how much of my eyebrows should I remove to clean it up? I enjoy the genral shape of them, they're just a bit wild looking...

20160504_180507.jpg

20160504_180509.jpg

If anyone wants to take any of my pics and draw a diagram on it, that’ll be pretty sweet.

Thanks!

Oh man, I didn't realize my eyeball photos were going to turn out quite so large....

My eyes are actually pretty similar to yours — I just have more space between my lids and brows. What makes shadow difficult is not so much your eye shape as your hooded lids. The key with the crease shade is to bring it up slightly ABOVE the crease so it shows.

For liner, I personally love gel liner. I use Bobbi Brown's with an angled brush and it works better than any other liner I've tried. (Pencils go on too thick, and liquid looks too harsh.)

Your brows have a really nice shape naturally! All I'd recommend is a little bit of tidying up under your arch. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 3.59.28 PM.png

Hooded lids. I was never sure until now if that term applied to me. Yaaay! Now I have another term for google.

Thank you for your help!!!

Searching for help with hooded lids will open up a WORLD of resources. Wayne Goss has a good video about hooded lids, which obviously I can't find right now. 

Even if their eye shape isn't exactly the same, check out tutorials and looks of people like Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lawrence, Blake Lively, Emma Stone... all have hooded eyes. 

I feel like poor Jennifer Lawrence only gets makeup artists who know how to flatter her face about half the time. She either looks fabulous or like a "what NOT to do" demonstration.

I didn't used to have hooded lids, but now I do (time marches on...)  I've had to really change my eye makeup as a result.  I find that using two colors, one medium/darkish on my lids and halfway up the socket area, with a highlighter under the brow, with the addition of eyeliner, works best for me now.  I used to use a light color on my lids and a dark shadow in my crease, but I don't have room for that anymore.

The good news is it takes less time to do my makeup!

Yup. Basically, you use color to fake where things are. 

Also, I very rarely bother with a liner on my upper lid, and if I do it's generally a colorful one acting more as a shadow/lid shade. 

I think I've pulled these pics out in the past when someone had a similar question...

image.jpegBut, you can see how she kind of cheats here by pulling color and inner corner color up higher and darkening at the top and slightly above her crease.

This is great!

@TopazBeth

Which angled brush is your favorite to use with your gel eyeliner? Or would any angled brush do the trick?

This one works great for me!

Thanks again! I will give it a shot. 

For those of you who workout daily: How do you deal with your hair after exercise? My hair gets sweaty and the only way I've been dealing with it is by washing it. However I have color treated hair and it's brutal to wash every day. I've always wondered what others do to keep their hair fresh with daily workouts. 

Is there no other way? D: 

I guess my first question is how do you wear your hair when you workout?  The more up, away from your skin it is, the cleaner it will stay.  However, you'll still sweat from your scalp.  Toweling off regularly can help, and so can dry shampoo.  But I have yet to find anything that will really make it look *really* good other than washing. 

Yep, I wear my hair up in a ponytail and the issue is definitely the sweaty scalp. 

Depends on how hard you're working out and what you're doing.  If I put my head on the floor (yes it happens) I'm going to wash my hair before I go to bed because no matter how much dry shampoo you use you can't get all that dirt out without washing.  I don't color my hair though. 

Building on what JennBeth said below, if you're just sweating, I like to braid my hair.  It keeps it out of your face so you don't have to touch it.  You could do a french braid and then put the rest of it in a bun at the nape of your neck, or do a crown of braids around your head.  I would towel off after this and then add dry shampoo.

I can totally relate to you on the "head on the floor" piece. This happens if I decide to do sit-ups. I even get an "ick" feeling when my hair touches workout machines (ie benches, etc).

Braiding is a great idea! Although I must admit "learning how to braid" is one lesson I missed growing up lol. 

I ride horses so I deal with this year round - no matter how cold it is, I always sweat under a helmet. (No working around getting gross hair for me.) For me, it's always the scalp that gets gross. I've found that I can typically get by with just rinsing my hair out (and scrub/massage at scalp/hairline, where I sweat) on a daily basis and save the shampoo for every other day or every third day. (I also treat with coconut oil once a week, and put in some form of conditioner every time my hair gets wet - typically a leave in conditioner.)

If you find that your workouts don't leave you terribly sweaty from your scalp, some dry shampoo might be enough to tide you over (I use it in a pinch when I have to go from the barn or a workout without showering). Depending on what you use and the texture of your hair, this may be a more or less practical option. It works really well for me, but I have thick (and somewhat textured) hair. Suave has one that I like that isn't too expensive.

First off, how awesome is it that you ride horses regularly!

The scalp is definitely my worst hair area as well. I too have started rinsing it out and saving shampoo for every other day. Thanks for the tips!

Ha! Yeah, it's always a fun time. You never know what you're walking into. I'm very blessed to be in a situation where I can have a horse but it's definitely a lifestyle choice. And I feel crazy for making it at least 80% of the time!

It's hard if your scalp is what gets sweatiest/oiliest. Rinsing out hopefully should be enough to help you, but you may want to consider having a dry shampoo on hand to blot any oil that you might otherwise wash out. I hope that a combination of these things will work for you as well as they have for me! Dried out hair (and taking care of color treated hair) can be so hard sometimes! 

I'm with you on this one. Although my hair isn't color treated, it's very dry and I hate washing it every day.

That being said, I do have to wash it daily during the week because of work (once my hair is up and sweaty, there's no amount of amazing hair product or patience that will re-tame it). On the weekends I'm totally gross, but will usually spray it out after a workout with dry shampoo, pull it back up, shower (without washing my hair), and leave it as long as I can stand it. I can get away with ponytails over the weekend when I'm mostly just lazing around. While not ideal, it has helped, even if it's just one day during the week that it doesn't get washed.

My hair is too short for braids, but that's an awesome idea. You might also try cute hair accessories (clips, holders, etc.) that make it look like you intentionally have your hair up. I use LP's PhD dry shampoo and Drybar's Triple Sec together to at least keep mine fresh.