Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

That's how I did it too! 

Hi all! I'm looking for suggestions for the best all-over shadow brush. My go-to is the All Over Shadow Brush from the Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair Brush Set: (image from Temptalia)

tf

It is perfect for laying down a base color. The brush head is medium sized. It's not too dense where it's stiff but not too fluffy where it's flimsy either. 

Please feel free to recommend me any similar brushes. I'd also love to hear your what your favorite all over shadow brush is. I appreciate it! Smiley Very Happy

I use the EcoTools flat concealer brush as an eyeshadow brush. It's soft, synthetic fiber (necessary for me), but also picks up a lot of color and lays it down well. Lately I just use my fingers though because I have more control over where the color goes. Smiley Wink

^^Thanks so much for your recommendation! And thank you for mentioning synthetic fibers. I am comitted to using cruelty-free beauty products so synthetic is a must for me too. Off I go to google the EcoTools! Smiley Very Happy

I usually use my ELF eyeshadow 'C' brush or whatever it's called. I also use the Sigma E55. These brushes are not similar to what you use but that's what I have been using! I also use EcoTools (random brushes that I don't know the names of).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm always open to new options as it took me an eternity just to find one as great as this Too Faced brush lol. I use the Sigma E57 and enjoy it so the 55 sounds great! 

I used to think I could only use small brushes since I have monolids but now my eyes have been opened (pun intended) to the beauty of bigger brushes. 

Lol glad I could help =)

I have to admit that I've become pretty enamored with that very BRIGHT under eye Instagram look that you see everywhere. I already have very fair skin - is there anyway I can still achieve this look? I bought the Smashbox Photo Op Under Eye Brightener and, boy oh boy, does that not show up at all on me. I'm interested in the Becca one but the pink color scares me. Anyone have any experience? Thanks girls! ❤️

I have the Becca Undereye Brightener and the Smashbox one. I had the same experience you did with the Smashbox - no color at all. The Becca is more noticeable, but it's not true-to-pan on the skin at all. You just need a little bit (too much and it would crease, anyway), and it brightens up without being too noticeable vs the skin around it - that is, if you are fair with not-too-warm undertones. I have worn it by itself and it looks fine.

If you don't have dark circles, the effect would be pinker, but it shouldn't be that noticeable on a fair-skinned person regardless.

Thank you, this is really helpful! I think I'll pull the trigger on the Becca. I got a Bite lipstick that came yesterday and it's awful (so sad) that I'm going to return so I'll almost break even. 

I second this. @starsandbucks @JazaChai

I have the BECCA undereye brightener and love it. It really brightens up (somehow while still looking natural -- what is this sorcery?!) and I have relatively fair skin. The only downside is that it is difficult to completely wash off with a face cleanser as it has a kind of waxy tackiness to it. It might require targeted eye makeup remover to avoid buildup.

I ordered the Becca brightener with a few other things thru Dermstore today (the discount is better). Thank you @JazaChai and @Gwenhwyfar for the feedback! 

No problem! Oh, I should also add that I always wear it by itself and it blends really nicely. I don't put concealer around my eyes, so this one product by itself works magic. Smiley Wink

I am color matched to 3Y07 in Sephora's Color IQ system. I currently wear G40 in Cover FX foundation. Hoping to find a match in the Nars Sheer Glow foundation. I unfortunately won't be able to get in store today and today's the last day for the sale Smiley Sad

I realize this is a long shot but I never doubt the power/kindness of BT! 

Thanks for any help! <3

@m26430 I put your color into the Color IQ foundation search function and the only NARS it matched you to was St. Moritz (tinted moisturizers). I went one shade lighter (3Y06) and it matched you to NARS Stromboli (foundations). I would try that one... and if it doesn't work you may be able to exchange in store and they should honor the purchase price with a direct exchange.

Although when I search with the Cover FX foundation you wear, the Color IQ is 2Y05 and it says either Santa Fe or Fiji is a match for you.

You can try the Color IQ yourself here: http://www.sephora.com/color-iq

@Gwenhwyfar Thank you for all your help! I appreciate it. I've never been able to navigate the online Color IQ site before so your tips help a lot! Stromboli is definitely one of the shades I'll be looking at Smiley Happy 

The color IQ can sometimes help with a starting point, but isn't the most reliable thing. I always get a different number, and they are always way too dark and way too yellow.

If the G40 Cover FX foundation works well for you color wise, I would look online for comparison swatches between it and NARS Sheer Glow foundations. Temptalia has a nice foundation matrix for just this purpose. I put in your Cover FX foundation and the suggestions it gave for Sheer Glow were Punjab and Santa Fe. There's no swatch on the site for the actual Cover FX foundation, so hard to compare just from that. But, it gives a starting point.

@Kay522 Thanks for letting me know about Temptali's matrix! I've definitely considered Punjab but will compare it to Santa Fe. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it Smiley Happy

@m26430 I use G40 in Cover Fx custom drops (not foundation) And Nars Tinted moisturizer in St.Mortiz . Some other BTers with similar complexion use Stromboli in Nars foundation.

What is your favorite beauty blog? I'm always looking for new blogs to read when it comes to makeup and beauty Smiley Very Happy

One of my favorites is The Beauty Lookbook Smiley Happy

The only blog I read/watch is Lisa Eldridge's. I love her too the point reviews and videos.

5 Replies