Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Heart Thanks, it works!

My skin is a wreck now and was hoping y'all would have some tips. I got off BC a couple months ago, and I've been getting cystic acne, and my pores are clogged. I'm currently using Dermalogica Dermal Clay Cleanser & Clinique Dramatically Different Gel.

Most of the other products I've tried made my skin red and irritated. None of the masks I've tried seem to do much either.

Tried: Pixi glow tonic, PTR Irish moor cleanser and mask, PTR pumpkin mask, PTR cucumber mask, PTR AHA/BHA gel, PTR sulfur mask, Glam Glow super mud, Nude gentle detox powder, First Air Beautty radiance pads, Kate Somerville exfolikate

any any advice or product recommendations?

forgot to mention my skins been drying out a bit on my chin around the acne.

@samls324 I have been in the same boat for a little over a year and my cystic acne has been progressively getting worse for the past 9 months.

how many of these things have you been using at the same time?  I find my best attack is consistent skincare.

I've found that sulfur treatments eventually lose efficacy and I have to switch to a different brand.  That said, I've had good results from both the Kate Somerville eradikate dip and foaming mask.  For something gentler, I find Tata Harper resurfacing mask as an overnight treatment works, too.  

Lastly, whenever I feel a bump coming on, I apply an ice cube wrapped in paper towel to the cleansed skin for about 10 minutes, a few times a day.  The ice takes down the swelling and redness, and it seems to help with faster recovery somehow.  

If all else fails, you could talk to your doctor about a prescription Retinoid.  They take a while to kick in, but they do work eventually.

Thanks mocha! I just got a gentler face wash to use with the other one I have. I used it last night, and my bumps were smaller this morning so I'm hoping it may be the cure!

I have really sensitive skin too, so most things are too irritating or drying for me to use. That said, I cannot recommend the Murad Clarifying Wipes enough.  They do the best job of preventing breakouts and keeping my skin clear.  I do use a stronger salicylic acid treatment (sephora used to make a great one that I can't find now) or a clay mask to combat particularly bad spots though.  

In terms of combatting dryness from acne treatments, I love Kate Sommerville Hydraclear (which treats and hydrates) or the origins drink up intensive overnight mask.  

Hope this helps!

For the cystic acne, Mario Badescu makes a product targeted specifically at that, the Buffering Lotion. Greenchili swears by it if I remember correctly, and I have it and it seems to help me as well, though not the dramatic overnight results I've seen other people report.

There's also EradiKate, or the Mario Badescu version of the same thing (Drying Lotion I believe?). It's sulfur, so if the PTR mask didn't help you this might not work either, but I have found it effective for me as a spot treatment on cystic acne.

For your clogged pores, I got nothing, sorry. Smiley Sad I have that problem as well but the FAB pads have really helped me, as have other salycylic pads/treatments. If it's ineffective for you, I might suggest trying a stronger version from some other brand, but if the problem is that it irritates you I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions, as they are pretty tame relative to most peels/pads like that.

I love the Kiehl's pore cleansing mask. Maybe you can ask for a sample to try it out? Theh don't sale it at sephora though. 

I am looking to get more of a luxury eyeshadow quad. Right now it is a toss up between Burberry Mocha No. 2 or Tom Ford Cocoa Mirage. Which one would you suggest? I obviously just really love matte shadows and looking for one I could use often.

Another vote for Tom Ford. I have both paletts and Tom Ford is better in design, texture and color. I like Burberry's singles a lot more than paletts.

Cocoa Mirage is realllly nice. It's very soft and buttery and fool-proof

Thank you!! Thats exactly what I want.

Tom Ford. 

I love Burberry shadows, but their singles are better than their palettes, imo. And just the design of the Burberry palettes bugs me. Gorgeous exterior, hefty packaging, all good... but the diagonal layout, for some reason, I just find it a bit annoying. Plus, for me, being fair skinned, the lightest shade is something I use quite a bit and it's so much smaller than the middle two shades. 

That said... Tom Ford is an extra $20-something? But let's be honest, you're not going through an entire palette anytime soon, so it'll work itself out in the long run.

Yeah that bothered me a bit too with the Burberry quad. Thank you! Definitely going to get the Tom Ford.

Not sure it's ok to post her pic?? but I adore the way Sabrina from the Beauty Look Book does her eye looks. It always looks so pretty and subtle. Does anyone know of any tutorials for a similar look? I'm really durpy with eyeshadow so I need a 'for dummies' version...

Here is one example. It's such a pretty subtle look. When I try to imitate somewthing like this it just looks messy. 

image.jpg

Wow!  I just checked out her blog and I legit need one of the new TF lippies.  I'm coming for you on Thursday, Revolve Around Me! 

Prepare to be disappointed - everything looks better on her lips. Lol. 

I kid, of course. But srsly, her lips.

I don't know if I've ever seen an eyeshadow look from her, but I do know that her lips are ridiculously perfect. 

I couldn't figure out how to make that sound not creepy, so whatever. They are. 

Her lips ARE ridiculously perfect. She kinda makes everything look good. 

Do liquid lipsticks dry out your lips like crazy? I know that this is a dumb question but I have had three days of meetings and I have been wearing KVT lolita or Stila Bacca everyday. My lips are beyond dry and crumbling. Help!  

I tried to exfoliate them with sugar and olive oil but it's not doing much.

Do you ever apply a balm underneath the liquid lipstick? Yes, it does have an impact on the transferability, but unless your meetings consist of making out, you'd probably be okay. Smiley Wink