Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@samls324 Be careful applying Tend Skin because if you should spill some it will damage any surface it spills on. That is why I like the rollerball application. Otherwise protect your hands wearing disposable gloves.

tendskin is amazing!! I get it at the drugstore and it helps so much with ingrown hairs I literally can't live without it

Just make a sugar scrub. That's what I do on my bikini. You should ideally do this once a week or so after hair removal for future knowledge 

melt a jar of coconut oil in your tub, add oil to sugar in a bowl until your desired consistency and whatever essential oils

@samls324

I like to take advantage of The Body Shop when they have their BOGO free deals and other promos. Not the most granular tbh but with consistent use it gets ride of my ingrown hairs and inflamed bumps for the most part. I find that other body scrubs just cost way too much Smiley Sad

i have Hempz body scrub, and it hasn't seemed to do much. I have some unopened Ulta brand scrub too i need to try.

I like the satsuma one, but I don't like their peach one. Their scrubs aren't super granular so it won't give you a lot of exfoliation at once but if you use it a couple of times a week it makes a big difference. It helps a lot with my ingrown hairs and other bumps I get on my legs and stuff. Their website basically has all their scrubs at almost 5 stars but a lot of the reviews help on the product description.

i use the Ulta scrubs I stocked up on during the 21 days.  Seems to take away bumps and such for me, especially during winter.

For fun -- has anyone ever tested how many uses they can get out a product?

I recently started tracking a face lotion to try to figure out how long my skincare stash will last. I know usage varies depending on the product itself, but I just wanted a general idea Smiley Happy

My test so far for anyone curious:

Spoiler
In the Q&A section of the It Cosmetics Confidence Cream, the company (and a user) said the 2oz tub lasts about 3 months with nightly use. I know products vary by consistency, so I chose this exact cream.

I'm 12 uses in (on a 0.25oz tub) and maybe halfway done? Potentially more because of the rounded packaging. I've been using it every morning on my dry skin with NOTHING else..to make sure I use as much as possible.

My guess is that this DS will last me 3-4 wks, so the FS would last me 6-8 months .... vs 3..

@whitepolkydots I started doing this with a few of my more pricy skincare items last year to find out how many uses were in them in order to determine if they were worth it to me.

I do it differently depending on whether it's a daily use or occasional use product.  If it's daily, I write the date I opened it on the packaging and then do the math once I finish it. 

If it's a more occasional use item (like a face mask, for instance) I make a little pen mark on the label every time I use it, and then tally up the scratches when the bottle is empty.  Smiley Very Happy

@Mochapj i've been doing the first method! i put away all my other AM moisturizers to avoid temptations, but on weekends my brain still wanders. So right now I have a date & two tick marks on my tub Smiley Tongue

This is a stellar idea. I was considering trying something like this comparing the moisturizer I use now with the one I used to use that was like a third the price. I rationalize the purchase of my current one, Caudalie Premier Cru Creme Richie, stating it lasts way longer than the Origins Make a Difference +. But I never really checked if that was true or not. It just "felt" like I had to use more of the Origins to get the same moisture level. 

This reminds me of the tootsie pop commercials! 

Ive only tracked 1 item and it was a tatcha skincare. Apparently the little DS moisturizer lasts me almost exactly 2 months if i use it 2x a day

@pinyo dang!! you got some good mileage on that cream.. do you remember which one it was (and did you like it)? I've been avoiding tatcha skincare just in case i fall in love with them ($$$), but that makes me want to give them a shot.. Smiley Very Happy

I loveeeeeed it! It was the overnight something something. The one that's jiggly like jello. Although I love it, I've found products that are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and gave me the same glorious results. @whitepolkydots

I actually started doing on Wednesday so great minds! This is a way for me to use up the deluxe samples/full sized items and to curb my consumerism by seeing how long it takes for me to use up something. 

Spoiler
I am starting with:

1) a foil packet of the Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Serum - I used it every night since Wednesday. So I used it twice and I have enough for one more time tonight. 

2) SK-II Essential Power Rich Cream 0.085 for oz/2.5 ml - I started using a pea-sized amount in the mornings & evenings since Tuesday. I think I have enough until Saturday morning. I have oily/combo skin and I think this is too rich for my skin type.

@Karmatic oo foils are great for getting a faster answer. My brain was fixed on using It Cosmetics because of the review I read, but I think I'll go down that route next Smiley Very Happy

p.s. I agree with you on the SK-II .. I have dry skin and it was a bit too rich for me too

@whitepolkydots I actually bought the Hourglass stick foundation a few months back and barely decided to use it this morning and was amazed at how full coverage I can look with only like 2 swipes of product. After I applied it, I thought to myself that it would be a good idea to keep a tally of how many uses it takes for me to finish it since I know many people complain about how little product comes in the tube. Great minds do think alike Smiley Wink

@gonerogue omg I would LOVE to know how many uses you get out of that (but to be honest with myself... I'll probably buy the HG before you finish your stick Smiley Tongue). I bought the ABH foundation stick thinking it would be a cheaper alternative, but it exaggerated my dry spots a lot. If I factored in how few swipes are needed with the HG, it probably would have been similar to ABH 

@whitepolkydots I have the ABH one and I think I'm going to just toss it. The formula is not good. I have oily skin and it made my face look dry when I first applied (dry not matte) and then I was an oil slick within a few hours! I have so many foundations that I know it will take me a long time to calculate how many uses I get out of the HG one but I will still keep a tally and update all of you when I have finished the product Smiley Happy

Highlighted

So, I had this unfortunate blush accident...

And I'm wondering if there's a way to reattach the chunk that doesn't involve smashing up the whole thing and resetting it with alcohol. Because, you know, the pretty stripes. I did consider superglue - and I'm not completely opposed to it - but there must be a better way, no?

Thanks for any advice.

just throwing ideas out there. maybe lash adhesive? i dont know if that'd work but i'd go with that over actual superglue Smiley Indifferent unless you're just collecting this? but still.

Oh, that's a great idea. I do use the blush. Not as much since the fall as it seems to flake really easily now (because of the two pieces rubbing together, I think) and I end up with way to much color on the brush. I think if I can attach the two pieces, that problem will stop. Now I just need to find my lash adhesive...

good luck! and of course same principle wait til it's sticky! xD

This makes me think we could really use a Product Obituary thread - broken, damaged, empty, discontinued... all forms of memorandums welcome.

I'll start working on the obit just in case the eyelash glue (or super, or hot) doesn't work out.

12 Replies