Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I saw a photo of the upcoming Sephora point multipliers but can't remember when it was supposed to be. Or was that a dream? 🤔

@myumew

I posted it in the reward Bazaar discussion thread.

its the 12-19 I believe 

I can't find the Travel Thread, dangit!!!  I'm headed to Toronto immediately after the Sephora Launch party in LA. I will be in Toronto for 3 days - may not have much time for shopping, but any tips on where I should go would be welcome, of course!  Tagging a couple friendly Canadians for help.  Thanks in advance!  Smiley Happy  @fatimamummy @Mochapj @heartsmyface

@sister13 it looks like the others have covered most of the places I was going to recommend Smiley Happy

If you're into green beauty at all, I'd recommend The Detox Market - they have a few locations in Toronto, and a few in California, but otherwise I think they are online and they carry a lot of the 'luxury' natural skincare lines like May Lindstrom, Vintners Daughter, Odacite, etc that can sometimes be difficult to try in person.

Other than that, we have an Inglot store (conveniently near the Eaton Centre mall that was recommended) if that's your kind of thing. 

I'll PM you shortly on some food recommendations, as well.

Oh, great!  I don't have any Vintner's Daughter locally, would specifically love to seek that out.  Thanks so much!

@sister13 I second the recommendations @lachaton provided. Eaton centre is your one stop shop all destination.

I sent you an email about places to visit but I can't be much help about dining choices due to my restricted diet. I hope @Mochapj or some other Toronto ladies can recommend some nice places to eat 🙂

Wonderful!  I suppose I have to try some poutine since I've never had it!

@sister13 Ooh, have fun! 
There's the Toronto Bite Lip Lap, Eaton Centre is a large mall with lots of shopping. While there, you might be interested in stopping by the Hudson's Bay Department store (although there are others) and Shoppers Drug Mart. Both are fairly nice stores but available elsewhere. SDM is one of our drugstores, but carries some a very nice selection of cosmetics (including some luxury brands at this location). HBC is an iconic department store. I have heard it can be easier to find some French drugstore brands here (SDM would likely be your best bet). Holt Renfrew is another Canadian department store; although, admittedly it isn't hugely popular compared to others. 

My top suggestion would be to stop by the Guerlain boutique on Bloor Street. I haven't been recently but used to pop by often. I had good experiences there, and they carry some of the harder to find items (including fragrances). If you have a nice SA they will provide samples. I believe they still have a facial room in the back, although I never had a facial there. If you like Guerlain at all, or luxury cosmetics in general, that would be my top pick. I miss it Smiley Happy 

@sister13 Even if you aren't buying anything, it's still a nice place to check out! It's very pretty inside, and you can sniff the fragrances out. 

OOOH, awesome, thank you!!  I do love Guerlain and especially fragrance.  I'm running low on my Angelique Noir I got in Moscow for cheap.  However, I'm torn since I'm kind of supposed to be on a low-buy.  Thanks for these detailed suggestions, hopefully I'll manage a bit of free time to take a stroll around. Bite Lip Lab is also super tempting!

@sister13 I will send you a PM shortly with some suggestions 🙂

You are the best, thank you!! 

Anyone have any recommendations for finishing powders? I'm interested in the Hourglass Ambient Light Powders, but would luv more suggestions.

RE: Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Also interested in this. Tested the Ambient powders the other day and found them to be too shimmery for full-face finishing. Any experiences with Stellar Haze?

Re: RE: Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@kathmb I use stellar haze as my setting powder in my t zone.

i find it diffuses the appearance of pores softly and doesn't give me shimmer or flashback but I think skintone plays into whether shimmer is super obvious or not.

i know plenty of paler ladies who swear by ambient powders but every single shade I've tried (palette and single) has made me glitter like a disco ball. I don't think their formula meshes well with my skin type (oily) and tone (olive)

one thing to note about haze, it's really finely milled and easy to pick too much up in a powder brush.

Re: RE: Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@Mochapj Thank you for the suggestion, your concerns about the Hourglass powders were my concerns as well! I'll definitely give the Stellar Powder a look. Is there a particular type of brush you like (or don't like) w/ the powder since it's so finely milled?

@gymgirl2 TBH the best way I've found to keep the mess to a minimum is to pat it on with a velour puff, but when that's too much effort for me, I dip a kabuki brush into the pot and then tap it back into the lid a few times. That tends to kick out most of the excess and then I just buff it into my face.

Matte lipstick question: what is your favorite formula? (...

Matte lipstick question: what is your favorite formula? (liquid or traditional)

Re: Matte lipstick question: what is your favorite formula? (...

@36524 I tend to prefer bullet mattes to liquid mattes. The only matte liquid lipstick I've found that doesn't look like dried concrete on me is KVD, but there are other bullets/crayons I like. UD Vice and Bite Matte Creme are my favorite formulas. 

PS - Thanks for using the Question Thread! This is what it's for 😁

Re: Matte lipstick question: what is your favorite formula? (...

@36524 You're welcome!

The Vice Comfort Matte line be a good place to start. They are matte but not too matte so you get the look without the feel. At least, I do! 

5,202 Replies