Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Gratis Thread ๐Ÿ›๐ŸŽ‰

A place to say thank you, provide reviews and first impressions, or follow up on gratis received after more use!

Many of us have been very lucky to receive gratis (thanks Sephora!), and Iโ€™ve been finding that while itโ€™s easy to initially post about receiving it and initial reviews, itโ€™s not as easy to follow up! 

I thought maybe we could have a dedicated thread to follow-ups and reviews with products weโ€™ve received after weโ€™ve been using them for a while, especially because itโ€™s sometimes hard to find the original thank you and first impressions threads.

Re: Gratis Check-Ins๐Ÿ›๐ŸŽ‰

Woah, great comparison shot. @gonerogue 

Now you will have me snapping the top of my head using my dry shampoos lol.

@gonerogue ok wow!! As someone with dark hair this is now a necessity for me โœ”๏ธโœ”๏ธ Thank you for the comparisons! Super helpful โค๏ธ

@gonerogue   I see what you mean.

How far back are we going with gratis, earlier than the HOF gift on BT?lol

For a recent one, the hair/lip/lash multi-brand, here's the thread I started and others have added their reviews.

https://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Newness/Thank-you-Sephora-Gratis/m-p/4705425

The Bite HOF lippie!  I need to bust this out again with the warm weather!  Great reminder @TrysBeautyItems !

@missjeanie It is a bright pink for warm weather (says while today I have very dark purple on...) ๐Ÿ˜… 

My favorite gratis items were:

- Pat McGrath lipsticks.  Sephora sent me two and now I own five ๐Ÿคฃ PAT McGRATH LABS MatteTranceโ„ข Lipstick Flesh 3 109

- Sephora Lip Clicks. I finished the one Sephora gave me and just purchased another. SEPHORA COLLECTION - Melting Lip Clicks

- Drunk Elephant A-Passioni. I am definitely repurchasing this! It is a favorite! DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioniโ„ข Retinol Cream

- Favorite gratis fragrance.  I'm still wearing this!: Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' Under the Lemon Trees 3.4oz/ 100mL

Thank you for thinking of this, @cianni! โ™ก

@curlychiquita ,

Listing your favorite Gratis items was a great idea! 

@curlychiquita Ooooh how lucky are you to get Under the Lemon Trees! Congrats! ๐Ÿ‹ ๐Ÿ˜Š

Oh, I also love the Sol de Janiero Coco Cabana Cream, although my husband thinks it's a bit overwhelming. So I wear it when I'm going out, not staying in. SOL DE JANEIRO - Coco Cabana Cream

@curlychiquita  I got the same feedback from my husband. He loves when I use Bum Bum Cream but he asked me to give Coco Cabana Cream a hard pass ๐Ÿ˜‚

I've just started back up on the DE APassioni @curlychiquita !  Fingers crossed I can be a bit more patient this time and don't overdo it!

@missjeanie don't use it every night!  Try every other night or every third for a while.

I tried it when I first got it in gratis (Around February), and I started off with twice a week for about three weeks, three times a week for a few weeks, then I just went all in and started using it every other day.  I think I over loaded my skin and it started to feel too dry (I'm dry to start off with).  On top of this, I didn't think I was seeing any results; I'm clearly also impatient. I'm going to go in with twice a week and stick to that for the summer @curlychiquita .  I'm glad that it's been a love for you though, it's motivating me to get back at it!

@cianni Genius idea!

Valentine's Day Gratis

-Kaja Heart Melter: used it once and put it in my "friends giveaway" pile. The color was sadly all wrong for me. 

April Gratis Box

-Watermelon Glow Ultra-Fine Mist: I haven't seen any skincare benefits from it, but I love using it on very light makeup days, on an airplane as a in-flight mist, or lightly sprayed over my face when I've used a powder. I anticipate carrying this in my purse throughout the hot, humid Chicago summer. 

-Skinfix Eczema Hand Repair Cream: THE BEST. THE END.

-Velour Effortless No-Trim Lashes: It's not their fault that I'm inept with false lashes. They aren't effortless for me, but the length is spot-on and they don't look as ridiculous as many other lashes. 

-Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Sweet: I can see how it would be too sweet for some, but when applied with a light hand I find it quite lovely and fruity. I normally lean towards bright citrus fragrances, but this is a nice change. 

-Clean Reserve Solar Bloom: This is a fascinating fragrance. On my skin, it has a heavy mineral quality and not much citrus. I don't think I'll repurchase it, but I'll definitely use the entirety of this sample. 

-Sephora Collection Hot Tip Liner: Still working on achieving the perfect wing, but this pen makes it easier. It works well for both fine and thick lines, and it *does not budge* the entire day. 

-Olaplex No. 6: I haven't used this enough to render judgment. I avoid silicones when I'm wearing my hair naturally wavy, and plan to use this only when I'm straightening. 

@cianni Great idea!  I love seeing everyone's stuff when they first get it, but it would be nice to hear if people are still using the products several weeks/months after receiving it.  

@itscarin Thanks! Iโ€™m especially curious about how people are liking skincare and haircare, which are rarely things you get results with in a few uses. PS - peeped this in the Ulta thread earlier - congrats on your little one on the way!! So excited and happy for you! โค๏ธ

@cianni Thanks, we're very excited!

I've received two things of gratis.

First was the Kaja Heart Melter Lip Gloss Stick 06 Wink Wink- of course I get the shimmery one which other people want but just isn't my style. It could play off in office lighting but in the sun it's just too much for me. I wore it a few times after receiving it but really haven't reached for it since. It's such a same because the product itself seems pretty good but the color just isn't up my alley.

In March I received a gratis box featuring various brands:

Urban Decay Naked Reloaded Eyeshadow Palette- I don't wear eye shadow. I gave this to my cousin and she was so excited because she had planned on buying it. Anytime I've asked she's only said good things.

fresh Sugar Mint Rush Freshening Lip Treatment .15 oz / 4.3 g- I have this in my purse and use it frequently. I like the mintiness and it reminds me of a gloss I got from Bath & Body Works called Mentha Lip Shine. I prefer the Fresh as a balm vs. a gloss. Though I like it, I don't know that I would spend $24 on a lip balm/treatment. We will see how long it lasts. If it pulls a Laneige lip sleeping mask (and lasts years) maybe I'll sing a different tune.

Farmacy Freshen Up All-Natural Deodorant 1.7 oz/ 50 g- this is the 1st natural deodorant I've tried and this was the most exciting item for me in the box. For me it performs much better during workouts vs. "normal" deodorant. But during a regular day, "normal" deodorant is the winner. By the afternoon I don't smell but just don't feel as fresh. This has encouraged me to explore natural deodorant after I finish the last two "normal" ones I have. Oh, and I have finished the Farmacy. I used it consistently and it lasted 2 months. Again, $15 X 12/2 (months) would mean $90 in deodorant a year. Not sure I want to spend my budget this way. It does work pretty well and the smell was pleasant so I'd classify it as I will use it if I have it but not repurchase it myself.

GLAMGLOW - SUPERTONER โ„ข Exfoliating Acid Solution Toner- I have only used it once. I have been wanting to incorporate toner into my routine. I used this before a sheet mask. Thank goodness for soothing sheet masks. This product has a lot of acids in it and as a new thing for my face, I could feel it. So take my review with that in mind - my face is new to this. I barely swept it over my face and it was a bit much for me. The mask made the feeling go away though. The smell of this product was also not my favorite. My last critique is the coloring. Isn't toner supposed to me a step to remove the last bits of residue and balance your skin? Having gray means I can't verify that I've removed any last bits of dirt and/or makeup. I need to try it again. I will see if I can get it to work for me (which may be a process) or pass it onto someone else.

OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Face Primer 1 oz/ 30 mL- I don't wear primer but the vitamin C aspect appealed to me. I've been wanting to look into that ingredient and maybe put it in my routine. The primer goes on smoothly and worked well with my Bare Minerals powder foundation. I would also put it on the backs of my hands which if you haven't, primer makes your hands look very smooth and considering hands exhibit signs of aging, this makes me feel more youthful. Back to the primer itself..well, with makeup it is fine and I felt I looked pretty natural. One day I put the primer over my sunscreen without makeup and the car ride was whoa! I noticed it was shimmery when I put it on my hands but on my face with no makeup, I felt a little disco ball. It reminded me of my reaction to the IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream Illumination with SPF 50+ Medium. Just too sparkly for me. In office lighting it wasn't as bad but just not my style. It's a personal preference so if you like that look, then you will probably like this primer.

VIKTOR&ROLF - Flowerbomb Midnight- I've worn it a few times. It's not something I reach for as I don't really wear perfume. It smells okay to me but as I'm not a connoisseur, I'll leave my thoughts brief. 

@ShortErica ,

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on these items!

Thanks @tsavorite!

2 Replies
testing