Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

The Cruelty-Free thread: dupes, discussion & news!

Re: The Cruelty-Free thread: dupes, discussion & news!

PETA also has a comprehensive list of cruelty free companies. I've had great experiences with Petit Vour and Vegan Cuts subscription boxes, they both offer cruelty free beauty samples (and sometimes full size products)! The exposure to new brands has been great! 

@Madeline7  I just wanted to say that according to crueltyfreekitty Natasha Denona is cruelty free.  Some of her stuff is vegan but not all.  But she is CF.

A bit of what she posted:

• Finished products tested on animals: No
  • Ingredients tested on animals: No
  • Suppliers test on animals: No
  • Third party animal testing: No
  • Tested on animals where required by law: No
  • Sold in mainland China: No
  • Certifications: None
  • Parent company: None

Maybe you want to add to the list? Thx!

Done!  Thanks 🙂

Thank you for starting this thread!! I love buying cruelty free! I just purchased the Perricone MD No Blush Blush. I was going to buy the Nars liquid blush but now they aren't cruelty free.

Can someone clarify Sephora Collection's cruelty free stance?

Their statement of testing on animals when needed sounds ambiguous because then we could assume that 1. they're still testing on animals anyways and 2. if they sell all their products in China, then wouldn't they be testing all of their products on animals.

Sephora's makeup line isn't CF under most definitions because they test their products on animals when those products are sold in China, if that answers your question?

I think that Drunk Elephant is also cruelty-free

RE: Re: The Cruelty-Free thread: dupes, discussion & news!

Yes! Their exfoliating morning face wash bar is awesome! The night bar contains honey, ' therefore is not vegan.

Added it to the list!

Thank you for starting this thread!

yay, thanks for starting this thread! i always love to chat about CF brands, and i love logical harmony and CFK. Colourpop, Looxi, Herbivore, Drunk Elephant and Verb are some other brands I adore 🙂

Thank you for this thread! It's nice to have all of the brands located in one post 😄 

Awesome thread @Madeline7!

I love using CrueltyFreeKitty to find out if I'm purchasing cruelty free products. Not all of the items I have are cruelty free, because I do receive a lot of product to test, but when I'm making purchases I definitely like to try to be as cruelty free as possible. Peta's website is also a great resource for finding not only beauty products, but cruelty free household products as well. 

I also like to make sure that the company doesn't distribute their products to other countries that require animal testing, or that their parent company does not test on animals. I know it's not really their fault if another country has laws in which animal testing must take place, but it makes it hard for me to believe in a companies morals and mission if they don't commit 100%. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

HI Nikko.  I'll add my 2 cents about if testing is required by law.  With no hesitation, I think it's 100% a brand's fault if a government tests it's products on animals.  It's a choice and the solution is as simple as it can be.  If a brand doesn't want their products tested, they don't send them there.  100% success rate.  

This will sound like I'm trying to be flip, but I find other examples can help.  It's what I told NARS the other day when they tried to tell me 'but we don't test the products ourselves and we are against it, and our products sold in the US aren't tested'.  I told them that's a weak excuse they are insulting our intelligence.  If  you knew a teacher/coach/baby sitter/etc was a child abuser, but you sent your child to them anyway, no one would say, 'oh, Johnny's mom knew her kid would be abused but she didn't do the abuse herself so you can't really blame her.

IMHO 🙂 

I agree. If enough companies stood firm that they wouldn't do it and the general public wanted the brands enough to cause a fuss, real change would be possible. Just like if enough people stopped buying the brands until they stopped testing on animals. I just never understood how the requirement could be justified. We have sufficient data at this point on ingredients. To me, I think it has improved, slowly but still improvement. We have a lot of options compared to the recent past. Now China , please get on board. 

There are so many grey areas!  It can be challenging knowing where to draw the line.

I try not to support companies that sell in mainland China, because staying out of the market in theory would put pressure on the government to change their animal testing policies.

On the other hand, I haven't been avoiding products owned by non-CF companies.  I don't like that my money bubbles up to companies that test on animals,  but I'm undecided on that issue because if you start looking at any companies funding you're going to find something you don't like if you go far enough down.  There are so few brands not owned by Estee Lauder/Shiseido/etc these days...part of me also hopes that if these CF sub-brands do well, it will encourage them to expand that policy to their other brands?  I'm still mixed on this issue...

My one big exception to acquiring products tested on animals is that I will buy them second-hand.  Overproduction is one of the tougher issues facing the environment so to some extent I'd feel better purchasing a non-CF product second hand than a CF product brand new.  (There are some products I wouldn't buy second hand, however...)

I personally believe that supporting animal-friendly companies goes a long way toward the eventual elimination of animal testing. If the (non-cruelty-free) parent companies see the successes of their brands who do not test, it’s a win. It’s also a win for the animal-friendly companies to get larger distribution in mass channels by being involved with huge companies.

If there is a product I like as much, I always buy it from a cf who isn't owned by a parent co who tests.  But, I am fine with buying from those with a testing parent because, as some people have said, I want to show them that brands without testing can be successful.  

It is hard to draw the line sometimes. I choose CF samples but sometimes Sephora switches them out or just adds them. I don't want the samples but I don't want to give them to someone else who may then want to support that company. Ugh. Benefit is the biggest annoyance as everyone seems to be giving away their products. 

Ughhh I know...I definitely have mixed feelings, but I do try my best 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

I'll start this off with a dupe request.  Since Nars is no longer cruelty free, I'd love to find a dupe of the Nars Orgasm liquid blush that isn't tested on animals.  Thanks in advance! 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 6.15.59 PM.png
testing