Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

A place to discuss anything relating to body care, hair care and nails.

Ask a question, post a review, share your favorite products, tips or tricks... anything goes and is welcomed!

Re: THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

@lyravega YES!! I recommend this brush to everyone. I purchased by accident at Ulta and it's now my favorite brush. I actually use the smaller paddle size since I cut my hair. I kid you not, this brush will smooth your hair with no other product in your hair. I just towel dry, then blow dry with this brush. My hair is smooth, shiny and frizz free. LOVE it and I recommend it to everyone! 😘❤ Nice to see you my spooky friend 🦇💀👻😦

@lyravega, I second @pixiedust2's opinion.  Heart 

I have the same problem with static, and I will definitely be trying this brush, because the paddle brush I currently have does nothing, lol! Thanks for sharing this @pixiedust2! ❤

Highlighted

Thank you, @pixiedust2 ! That sounds promising. I'll be trying it asap!

Just had to post these cute nails. The nail polishes used are in the spoiler below.  I like Pretty Serious Cosmetics... a few more colors on the way Smiley Very Happy

Anyone know a hack on how to do the marbling like in the first pic? So far all I've seen seems pretty long and somewhat complicated if you use your own nails...

Spoiler

😁 perfect for summer!!  

I love these colors! You've inspired me to check out their website - I had never heard of them before.

@JenniferOhJenny  I have a few of their polishes and like what I have.  You can get a discount when you sign up for their email.  Might work even if you don't sign up.  Also make sure you select US/CAN when purchasing. Smiley Happy

Awesome - thanks for the tip!

Spoiler
It’s no secret that coconut oil has become a beauty staple many of us keep in rotation year-round. The multi-tasking oil can do it all, including soothing dry skin, acting as a makeup brush cleaner, even moonlighting as a tooth whitener. Is there anything it can’t do? According to some folks on the internet, the answer is (surprisingly) yes.

Reddit user sleepypuff writes, "Does anyone else's hair get MORE dry feeling from using coconut oil? Everyone LOVES coconut oil but me!" User jelbee adds, "Anytime I see coconut oil hailed as a miracle moisturizer for locks, I remember my own experience. Dead straw hair, the opposite of my goal. If you've never used it, beware." While there’s no denying coconut oil’s versatility, when it comes to your hair, the miracle marvel could perhaps be doing more harm than good. "I can't use coconut oil. I can't even buy any hair products that has coconut oil in it," writes ladyAnderkinky, who had to swear off coconut oil completely. They're not the only ones who have noticed. Youtube hair guru Naptural85 has done a video on the perils of coconut oil on her hair.

As New York City dermatologist Francesca Fusco points out, "Coconut oil indeed penetrates the shaft of hair deeper than most oils. And one study demonstrated that it can reduce protein loss, too." But that's benefit is exactly why, for some people, coconut oil can cause dryness.

"The reason some people experience dryness with coconut oil — especially when using it alone as a treatment — is that it can penetrate the hair cuticle, taking up space within the strands," says cosmetic chemist Ni'Kita Wilson. "This means that when you're wetting your hair, there's less space for water, which means that hair doesn't get as saturated as it would without the coconut oil." However, if your hair is on the porous side, you're less likely to end up with the dry, straw-like consistency that some have experienced.

"Low porosity hair has tightly closed cuticles that repel water (adding proteins on top of this makes wetting out the hair so much more difficult)," Wilson explains. "Hair with high porosity means that the cuticles are open allowing moisture to flow in and out of the strand (sometimes too fast)" It's possible that your hair's porosity could contribute to its coconut oil sensitivity.

"It's great for very porous hair because it prevents water from rushing into the strands too fast causing excessive swelling, which is bad because it puts undue stress on the cuticle by lifting it up," says Wilson. "But for low porosity hair, it's hard enough to get water into the strands, so if you have coconut oil taking up space, then hair may not get the moisture that it needs, therefore, it dries out."

Hairstylist Nathaniel Hawkins mentions that hair oils are supposed to "make the hair flexible, and with flexibility comes strength," so if coconut oil is not cutting it for your strands, it might be time to revive dry hair with a different natural treatment. Hawkins suggests to "look for oils that are liquid at room temperature, like jojoba and argan oils," to achieve better results.

But don't despair if you still love coconut oil and can't use it on your hair. There are a plethora of other ways to use it in your beauty routine, so that big jar you've got stashed in your bathroom cabinet doesn't have to go to waste.

Thanks for posting @ZombieMetroAnt!  Coconut oil can be good but not a do it all miracle worker Smiley Very Happy

@veronika23 LIES! ALL LIES! 😂😂 you know I'm joking Smiley Wink I'm such a coconut conspiracy nut. I use it on everything, even my face which everyone says is a huge no no. I'm like the one freak that can use it on any body part. Remember the Windex from My Big Fat Greek Wedding? That's me, just replace the Windex with coconut oil LOL. 

@pixiedust2  hahahaha I mean it is a good one to have and I've also used it on my face without any problems but I can see how it doesn't work for everything and everyone.  Uhhh I never saw that movie Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

For those who have IG -  Contest to win the new REN Kelp & Magnesium body range.  It's coming out May 30th on their site. Wonder if Sephora will get this... 

Spoiler

Last month, a client of Sara Pestella, a hairstylist at Avant Garde Salon in Destin, Florida, walked in with two-tone hair down to her hips. With her wedding coming up this fall, Holly, a gate guard at a plantation in Destin, was ready to completely change her look and undergo a hair makeover. Pestella told Modern Salon that Holly was holding on to her Rapunzel-length hair for a reason. "She always felt like she needed to keep her hair long because of what her dad said: that a woman must have long hair or she wouldn't be pretty," Pestella said. Obviously, the stylist disagreed with that sentiment.

To completely transform Holly's hair, Pestella teamed up with Jeremy Hartfield, another stylist at Avant Garde, who did the initial chop. Hartfield told Modern Salon that this step came first because he didn't want to cut off any of the new blonde shade. Instead, he cut off all of Holly's old yellow-y blonde. You can see the big moment in Hartfield's Instagram post below. Just swipe over to the second slide.

After Hartfield cut off the length — which looks like almost two feet of hair — Pestella dyed Holly's hair a gorgeous golden blonde. Pestella decided to add some depth at the roots after drying Holly's hair. This helped give her new look some dimension. In all, the process took seven hours. She started at 7 P.M. and finished at 2 A.M.! "No kidding, this transformation was indeed overnight," Pestella said. No longer hiding under her hair, Pestella added, "Holly feels beautiful in her own skin [now]." To help maintain her gorgeous hair makeover, the owners of Avant Garde Salon offered Holly a year of free services.

----- end of article
Aw, happy ending right there! Heart

I like the BEFORE, better!  Her hair was F-A-B!!!!

She just needed some make-up and new outfit!  hahaha! 

This salon is out to get her!  Make a client fall in love with bleached hair......keep a client coming back every 6-8 weeks!  hahahhahaah!  

(even for her and 'free' services' she will have to tip and probably buy other things at the salon).

So true @wheeeee!!  She's hooked now...LOL

My own hair looks like the Before photo! hahahahah!  

When she washes her 'new style' it won't look like that!  lol!!! I spy a lot of heat styling!  

Coarse, wavy hair is better worn long and wild!!!!  ;')

Finally got those anti static brushes @pixiedust2 recommended. I got the large one, and the smaller one, too. They are not 100% anti static, but they are so, so, so, so, SO much better than anything else I've tried! Me like! Thank you, Pixie, darling! Heart

@lyravega Oh I'm so happy to hear the brushes are working for you. Maybe add just the tiniest bit of oil to your hair and see if that helps with the static. 

I use a tiny bit of coconut, rub it on my hands first and then pull through my hair, starting underneath. Usually helps the static. 

Anyone ever heard of this brand: Living Sea Therapy? Trying to figure out where I can purchase this...

So I think it's fairly new... no retailers have it yet... maybe I'll take the plunge and order direct anyway lol

Was curious @veronika23 and sent them a message - this was their response:

Thanks @ZombieMetroAnt Smiley Happy I've actually been in contact with the on FB and was gonna post an update when I had more final details Smiley Happy

UPDATE!

Well at the moment this is way too expensive to get shipped here. They are a new company in the middle of nowhere apparently so it makes sense... BUT thanks to an awesome BTer I'll be getting them anyway Smiley Happy. She's helping me out with the shipping situation. They have a long way to travel so hope it's all worth it in the end. So excited and can't wait!!!! Thanks so much @themusefactory  for your help with this!!!!! Heart Heart Heart

@veronika23 You know I'm always happy to help you out <3 They should be crossing the pond tomorrow! 

Conversation Stats
Photos40
  • IMG_3160.JPG
  • tooth.JPG
  • tooth1.JPG
  • nail.JPG
  • nail5.JPG
  • nail3.JPG
  • nail4.JPG
  • nail2.JPG
  • Capture.PNG
  • col.jpg