Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

THE BATH, BODY & NAIL CARE THREAD

A place to discuss anything relating to body care. Formerly known as the THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

Ask a question, post a review, share your favorite products, tips or tricks... anything goes and is welcomed!

Bathbodytr.jpg

Re: THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

@RGbrown It's worth a shot! 🙂 I know it's the worst when a fav goes bad. I hope this helps! ❤️ 

@veronika23 So in my experience, using white under a sheer tends to be hard to execute and look messy. (since you need at least 2 coats of white and then maybe 2 coats of the sheer) If your white isn't perfect, the sheer color over top won't be either. 

I would tend to use a creme polish of a similar color which layers quite nicely. 

While I haven't tried this, Deborah Lipman makes a base coat called "All about that base" which has a color corrector in it and mattes out your nail. Maybe someone here can chime in and say if it works or not? 

But what will 100% work is picking a similar color underneath! Hope this helps! @ZombieMetroAnt hope this helps you too! xo!

Thanks @themusefactory :). I thought about picking a similar color too except depending on the sheer one it changes it's color too... tried it a few times but guess I need to experiment more. Will look up that DL base. Thanks 🙂

It does @themusefactory Heart thank you!!

Oh, that's an interesting question - I'm curious too @veronika23

Anyone ever heard of this brand: Living Sea Therapy? Trying to figure out where I can purchase this...

So I think it's fairly new... no retailers have it yet... maybe I'll take the plunge and order direct anyway lol

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 12.29.37 PM.png

UPDATE!

Well at the moment this is way too expensive to get shipped here. They are a new company in the middle of nowhere apparently so it makes sense... BUT thanks to an awesome BTer I'll be getting them anyway :). She's helping me out with the shipping situation. They have a long way to travel so hope it's all worth it in the end. So excited and can't wait!!!! Thanks so much @themusefactory  for your help with this!!!!! Heart Heart Heart

@veronika23 You know I'm always happy to help you out ❤️ They should be crossing the pond tomorrow! 

OMG! Already! Seriously fast!!!! Thanks so much!!! Heart

Was curious @veronika23 and sent them a message - this was their response:

living.JPG

Thanks @ZombieMetroAnt 🙂 I've actually been in contact with the on FB and was gonna post an update when I had more final details 🙂

Finally got those anti static brushes @pixiedust2 recommended. I got the large one, and the smaller one, too. They are not 100% anti static, but they are so, so, so, so, SO much better than anything else I've tried! Me like! Thank you, Pixie, darling! Heart

@lyravega Oh I'm so happy to hear the brushes are working for you. Maybe add just the tiniest bit of oil to your hair and see if that helps with the static. 

I use a tiny bit of coconut, rub it on my hands first and then pull through my hair, starting underneath. Usually helps the static. 

00000000.JPG

hair.JPG

hair1.JPG

Spoiler

Last month, a client of Sara Pestella, a hairstylist at Avant Garde Salon in Destin, Florida, walked in with two-tone hair down to her hips. With her wedding coming up this fall, Holly, a gate guard at a plantation in Destin, was ready to completely change her look and undergo a hair makeover. Pestella told Modern Salon that Holly was holding on to her Rapunzel-length hair for a reason. "She always felt like she needed to keep her hair long because of what her dad said: that a woman must have long hair or she wouldn't be pretty," Pestella said. Obviously, the stylist disagreed with that sentiment.

To completely transform Holly's hair, Pestella teamed up with Jeremy Hartfield, another stylist at Avant Garde, who did the initial chop. Hartfield told Modern Salon that this step came first because he didn't want to cut off any of the new blonde shade. Instead, he cut off all of Holly's old yellow-y blonde. You can see the big moment in Hartfield's Instagram post below. Just swipe over to the second slide.

After Hartfield cut off the length — which looks like almost two feet of hair — Pestella dyed Holly's hair a gorgeous golden blonde. Pestella decided to add some depth at the roots after drying Holly's hair. This helped give her new look some dimension. In all, the process took seven hours. She started at 7 P.M. and finished at 2 A.M.! "No kidding, this transformation was indeed overnight," Pestella said. No longer hiding under her hair, Pestella added, "Holly feels beautiful in her own skin [now]." To help maintain her gorgeous hair makeover, the owners of Avant Garde Salon offered Holly a year of free services.

----- end of article
Aw, happy ending right there! Heart

I like the BEFORE, better!  Her hair was F-A-B!!!!

She just needed some make-up and new outfit!  hahaha! 

This salon is out to get her!  Make a client fall in love with bleached hair......keep a client coming back every 6-8 weeks!  hahahhahaah!  

(even for her and 'free' services' she will have to tip and probably buy other things at the salon).

So true @wheeeee!!  She's hooked now...LOL

My own hair looks like the Before photo! hahahahah!  

When she washes her 'new style' it won't look like that!  lol!!! I spy a lot of heat styling!  

Coarse, wavy hair is better worn long and wild!!!!  ;')

For those who have IG -  Contest to win the new REN Kelp & Magnesium body range.  It's coming out May 30th on their site. Wonder if Sephora will get this... 

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 10.50.23 AM.png

00000000000.JPG

coco.JPG

Spoiler
It’s no secret that coconut oil has become a beauty staple many of us keep in rotation year-round. The multi-tasking oil can do it all, including soothing dry skin, acting as a makeup brush cleaner, even moonlighting as a tooth whitener. Is there anything it can’t do? According to some folks on the internet, the answer is (surprisingly) yes.

Reddit user sleepypuff writes, "Does anyone else's hair get MORE dry feeling from using coconut oil? Everyone LOVES coconut oil but me!" User jelbee adds, "Anytime I see coconut oil hailed as a miracle moisturizer for locks, I remember my own experience. Dead straw hair, the opposite of my goal. If you've never used it, beware." While there’s no denying coconut oil’s versatility, when it comes to your hair, the miracle marvel could perhaps be doing more harm than good. "I can't use coconut oil. I can't even buy any hair products that has coconut oil in it," writes ladyAnderkinky, who had to swear off coconut oil completely. They're not the only ones who have noticed. Youtube hair guru Naptural85 has done a video on the perils of coconut oil on her hair.

As New York City dermatologist Francesca Fusco points out, "Coconut oil indeed penetrates the shaft of hair deeper than most oils. And one study demonstrated that it can reduce protein loss, too." But that's benefit is exactly why, for some people, coconut oil can cause dryness.

"The reason some people experience dryness with coconut oil — especially when using it alone as a treatment — is that it can penetrate the hair cuticle, taking up space within the strands," says cosmetic chemist Ni'Kita Wilson. "This means that when you're wetting your hair, there's less space for water, which means that hair doesn't get as saturated as it would without the coconut oil." However, if your hair is on the porous side, you're less likely to end up with the dry, straw-like consistency that some have experienced.

"Low porosity hair has tightly closed cuticles that repel water (adding proteins on top of this makes wetting out the hair so much more difficult)," Wilson explains. "Hair with high porosity means that the cuticles are open allowing moisture to flow in and out of the strand (sometimes too fast)" It's possible that your hair's porosity could contribute to its coconut oil sensitivity.

"It's great for very porous hair because it prevents water from rushing into the strands too fast causing excessive swelling, which is bad because it puts undue stress on the cuticle by lifting it up," says Wilson. "But for low porosity hair, it's hard enough to get water into the strands, so if you have coconut oil taking up space, then hair may not get the moisture that it needs, therefore, it dries out."

Hairstylist Nathaniel Hawkins mentions that hair oils are supposed to "make the hair flexible, and with flexibility comes strength," so if coconut oil is not cutting it for your strands, it might be time to revive dry hair with a different natural treatment. Hawkins suggests to "look for oils that are liquid at room temperature, like jojoba and argan oils," to achieve better results.

But don't despair if you still love coconut oil and can't use it on your hair. There are a plethora of other ways to use it in your beauty routine, so that big jar you've got stashed in your bathroom cabinet doesn't have to go to waste.

Thanks for posting @ZombieMetroAnt!  Coconut oil can be good but not a do it all miracle worker 😄

@veronika23 LIES! ALL LIES! 😂😂 you know I'm joking 😉 I'm such a coconut conspiracy nut. I use it on everything, even my face which everyone says is a huge no no. I'm like the one freak that can use it on any body part. Remember the Windex from My Big Fat Greek Wedding? That's me, just replace the Windex with coconut oil LOL. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos56
  • IMG_3160.JPG
  • tooth.JPG
  • tooth1.JPG
  • nail.JPG
  • nail5.JPG
  • nail3.JPG
  • nail4.JPG
  • nail2.JPG
  • Capture.PNG