cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Show Me Your Declutters!

I received an order today with four new lipsticks,

(Lancome L'Absolue Lacquer...I will never ever stop mentioning these every-dang-where 😄😍)

but had absolutely no room for them in my containers. While the thought "buy more containers" crossed my mind for a brief second, I quickly dismissed it as I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with too much stuff. I'd been pulling out one or two here and there, but today was the big reckoning!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!

This is only the stuff I pulled today; I have a small train case packed full of the other lippies (and some palettes) that I've been slowly pulling over the last couple of months. Do I still have more I could get rid of? Yeah, most likely...if I was on the fence, I erred on the side of keeping it rather than tossing. And I didn't swatch every single keeper to weed out similar shades, so there's probably still a good bit of overlap in my berry-heavy collection. But my oh my, I feel soooo much better now. I found not only things I had forgotten about, but things I really had no clue I even owned in the first place 🤣

So...do you have too much too? Ready to clear up some space and salvage a little sanity? Share your declutters with us; we wanna see it! 

Re: Show Me Your Declutters!

@makeitup305 Oh wow. That Charlotte Tilbury cover, I was so mad to miss out on that collection lol. 

@Samtian I ended up getting that from a Beautylish lucky bag. I think it was my first CT product. I hadn’t tried anything from her before then. It’s a pretty highlight but it just never did it for me. 

@makeitup305 Great declutter! This is inspiring me to start... it's been a long time coming but I've been avoiding it like the plague.

@QueenMarceline many of these had been in my purgatory box several times so I couldn't put it off anymore. I still need to do lipsticks 😥

@makeitup305 Some of my areas are overflowing with products that I literally never reach for but can't get rid of... it's a vicious cycle. 

@QueenMarceline I put stuff I don't use in a "purgatory box" on top of my vanity (instead of it living in a drawer) and try to incorporate products from the box into my makeup during the week. It helps me decide whether something is worth keeping (even if I don't use it all the time, I still like it) or whether I can live without it. Sometimes they live in the box for a long time, sometimes a single use helps me decide what to do with it.

@makeitup305 That's actually a super great idea, maybe I'll incorporate my own purgatory box for the items that don't end up in the "must stay" or the decluttered pile. 🙂

@QueenMarceline hope that helps you out !

@makeitup305   Seeing all of this finally helped me to get rid of my Naked 2 palette.  I'm nowhere near this level of declutter, but every little bit helps

I'm also oddly regretting getting rid of it.  But, only used it once in the last 🤷🏽‍♀️ years??

@danielledanielle I tend to feel guilty for spending money on something I didn’t use and that now is just going to waste. I try to pass on as much as possible but sometimes it’s just not possible. I’m trying to be more conscientious of purchases but I know I still overspend.

@makeitup305 , I just made a second attempt at decluttering and was doing ok at first.  Some things I tossed were loved and used, but past their time.  Then I hit my collection of primers.. And the guilt hit.  I had a pity party for an hour. But, I don't feel bad now because honestly, I probably bought them at a deal, and at least got the serotonin boost.  Present self can always judge past mistakes.  The idea is to just improve next time, like you said, you're being more mindful now.

@danielledanielle primers and powders are something in my collection that I've learned the hard way not to buy for myself. I just never wear them. I think you're on track with the serotonin boost- a lot of times, the experience of having something new to try and experiment with is worth the product, even if it doesn't get used up. 

It's been way too long since I did a beauty declutter, but when I was reorganizing my beauty collection recently I pulled out some stuff that was either very old, expired, or in a couple of cases I no longer use because I've replaced it with something better.

20231015_123110-01.jpeg

@caitbird Ooh good job!!

@Samtian  thank you! 💜

Awesome @caitbird! Ahhh, reorganizing is always a nice time to go through and declutter your stash. I love that you’ve passed on items you’ve replaced with something you like more. I can tend to hoard still; need to work on that.

@itsfi  thank you! I definitely have hoarding tendencies too, but I tried to reason with myself that I am just not going to reach for these products anymore, I am always going to choose the newer ones that I like better, so it was time to say goodbye!

Excellent, excellent approach @caitbird! This year, I’ve really been finding myself sticking with, for the most part, products I really like and working my way through them, and not having too many products open at the same time. It’s been an approach I enjoy and have found to be fruitful. I wouldn’t say I’m a minimalist and I still hoard but it’s gotten much better, both the actual hoarding and reining in the instinct (?) to buy. Okay, well, that last piece is still a major work in progress but it has seen marked improvement. 😆 

@itsfi  that's great, that sounds like a really healthy way to go about things! I am trying to work toward something closer to that as well. Right now I have so many open products at once and such a backlog of unopened products after that, it feels a bit overwhelming. There are only so many things I can actually use at once. I am going to try to do a skincare no buy for a while at least, until I can work through some of what I already have. It's definitely a work in progress! 😅

@caitbird, the combination of chipping away at what you have and holding off on picking up other things, like a no buy, a low buy or even a lower buy (either across the board or for certain category of products) is realy helpful, at least for me. Putting a few of those things I want to work through as part a project pan has also worked really well for me. There are folks on the Pan It! - 2023 Challenge thread who have project pan items on a seasonal rotation. That's fun to see and a great idea for products that fit into your routine based on the season and also an excellent way to keep things fresh and with variety when it comes to panning. 

great job @caitbird !

725 Replies
testing