cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Show Me Your Declutters!

I received an order today with four new lipsticks,

(Lancome L'Absolue Lacquer...I will never ever stop mentioning these every-dang-where 😄😍)

but had absolutely no room for them in my containers. While the thought "buy more containers" crossed my mind for a brief second, I quickly dismissed it as I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with too much stuff. I'd been pulling out one or two here and there, but today was the big reckoning!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!

This is only the stuff I pulled today; I have a small train case packed full of the other lippies (and some palettes) that I've been slowly pulling over the last couple of months. Do I still have more I could get rid of? Yeah, most likely...if I was on the fence, I erred on the side of keeping it rather than tossing. And I didn't swatch every single keeper to weed out similar shades, so there's probably still a good bit of overlap in my berry-heavy collection. But my oh my, I feel soooo much better now. I found not only things I had forgotten about, but things I really had no clue I even owned in the first place 🤣

So...do you have too much too? Ready to clear up some space and salvage a little sanity? Share your declutters with us; we wanna see it! 

Re: Show Me Your Declutters!

@WinglessOneUnidentified

UD quality can vary wildly, especially in their LE palettes, so I understand not liking that one. Heavy Metals is my holy Grail formula, but the Basquiat palette I have is just pitifully patchy and a powdery mess. I use the lightest shade to set my primer if whatever palette I'm using doesn't have a suitable selection, but other than that, I don't think I'll use it again. 

Good to know about Juvia's...I don't do a lot of mattes anyways, so it's nice to hear their shimmers are (mostly) good. I'll have to consider one some day 😏

@RGbrown Yeah, I always say UD eyeshadows are very hit or miss for me. Of all their palettes I’ve ever owned, Petite Heat is the best performer—and honestly a nice little neutral palette for travel. But I don’t really need it anymore, now that I have Viseart Dark Mattes which contains outperforming dupes plus more shades to work with. I gave up on UD palettes after Petite Heat. I won’t buy anymore of them. 

While I’m thinking about it, here are my swatches of the Juvia’s Masquerade palette. There were all done with a dry shader brush. Someday I’ll depot all the JP shadows I want to keep, so I can offload the mattes I don’t want. 

Dry Masquerade swatches, interior lighting, no primer.Dry Masquerade swatches, interior lighting, no primer.

@WinglessOneUnidentified

Holy mackerel, I'm practically crying over how pretty that is. 😍 I wouldn't get much use out of the browns, but the rest of the colors make up for that in spades. Just wish it had a charcoal and/or black. 

@RGbrown Wait, what?? Lol, UD actually said some shades in their Electric eyeshadow palette couldn’t be used on the eyes?? 😂 Where else were you supposed to use them?

As for Full Spectrum — I was just curious. Definitely not questioning your experience 😊 I know all about certain products not working for everyone. ColourPop Super Shock shadows and Stila liquid eyeshadows practically jump off my eyelids, whereas they look so good and are loved by so many others. No matter what I do, I can’t get them to stay put. So I totally understand that everyone’s mileage will vary with every product 👍

@PinkEvergreen I kid you not. According to UD (from their website), “Slowburn, Savage, Jilted and Urban contain a colorant that is not approved for the eye area in the US, Canada and Brazil.” Um, that’s 40% of the palette, UD! 😄 

Spoiler
Back of Electric palette.Back of Electric palette.Gosh, hope you don’t like red/pink/purple eye looks.Gosh, hope you don’t like red/pink/purple eye looks.

And no worries about Full Spectrum. 🙂 I usually make that disclaimer when I rant about that palette because I know someone—not necessarily you, but perhaps others who happen upon this thread—will take my complaints as some kind of personal insult, or will want to tell me “NO YOU’RE JUST LIKE DOING IT WRONG LIKE OMG” and stuff. Some people are just a bit too brand loyal. 

UD had to put the "not intended for use in the immediate eye area" warning label on some of the shades in the Electric Palette because those shades contain pigments that are not approved by the FDA for use in the eye area. This does not mean that all of the pigments are bad to be used on the eyes. It just means that the FDA has not evaluated or has insufficient evidence on those pigments for use in the eye area. In the case of the Electric Palette, the warning was most noticeable in the US. The palette was released in a number of countries without a warning. However, in the US, the warning was mandated by law so UD put in on.

@teufel Yeah, I know. 🙂 I just always chuckle about the warning because it renders 40% of the palette useless (for eye looks) to anyone who cares about government safety warnings. 

@RGbrown @WinglessOne I’m curious about Full Spectrum too! I created some of my favourite looks with that palette 😊

I found that the trick to using it successfully was applying it with a patting motion only and with a priming or setting spray. I was able to create gorgeous, vibrant gradient looks that way. 

@WinglessOne I just returned the Tatcha myself, I wish it worked for me 😞

@ohheyitscindyk It’s such a heartbreaker. 😞 I kept thinking “it can’t possibly be Silk Canvas that’s causing this. It just can’t be. I refuse to believe it!” But my skin proved me wrong. I’m almost tempted to take it to a doctor to help figure out exactly which ingredient(s) I react to, because I might not be able to use any Tatcha products at all. 

Since it’s a jarred cream product, I can’t easily sanitize it to give away or donate. Most charities/shelters probably wouldn’t accept it anyway for that reason. But I always used the little disc to scoop out tiny amounts of product, so I might be able to decootiefy some of it after all. I’d hate to see this huge jar of product go to waste. 

These are just a few of the things I decluttered. The rest are headed to the women’s shelter. As I was going through this stuff I was wondering what the hell was I thinking when I bought it. Some of it was barely or not used.  218A2ED4-346C-4A28-A3E6-F0AC9715C6AE.jpeg

Great job with the de-clutter @divaknits! I believe I spot a mini YSL Tattouage lip stain. I’ve been tempted to buy colours from this line a few times. Was curious as to why you didn’t like it? 🙂

@Guessgal, it was old. I have no idea how long I had it. Most of the things I had were bad colors on me but I bought them on impulse because of the brand name. 🙂 I’m trying to curb that since I let go of so manu

things. 

I think I spy Nars Rikugien, @divaknits!! Please correct me if I’m wrong...my absolute favorite lip shade but it just does not last on me. Great job declutter ing all of these. There are going to be some beautifully painted women out there because of you;)

Me thinks you may be correct. I received the NARS lippies in my birthday gift a couple of years ago. I can’t believe I held on to them that long. They didn’t look good on me at all. 

RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

Thanks for the support on my first declutter! Today’s declutter is truly the epitome of “letting go”. I’m tossing my Naked palette - my first prestige makeup product EVER! And omg that Guy Bordain palette was my prized palette for so long. But all of these products not only are old but I haven’t used them in forever. Goodbye!

Re: RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

@m26430 Naked 3 was my first ever high-end makeup purchase (not counting Physicians Formula, which charges nearly as much as high-end brands do).

I still have the box (I never save packaging!) and I don’t think I’ll ever part with the palette or package 😂 I don’t love the palette because it’s too subtle for my tastes now, but I’m sentimental about it 💖

Re: RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

This must feel so good now that it’s done, @m26430. Declutters can be painful, awesome job👍🏼!

RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

My declutter from a few days ago! About half are old and gross and expired so they were thrown out. And the rest I have in a bag to give to my friends next time I see them. I find decluttering is so satisfying! I love to see things I don’t use go, and make room for new makeup 😍 pic from my IG stories @ samsmakeupaddiction 💋

Two pics today; the first I took a week or two ago and forgot to post...just more lipsticks I've decided to toss after trying them for the 100 Days challenge. More mattes, or other formulas that just don't work in my definition of "good fit for me". IMG_20181007_125131769.jpg

The second...boy oh boy...I thought I had tossed everything from my super old stuff, but today I ran across a few I missed. While a couple are newer, most of these are likely 12+ years old 😮IMG_20181012_144822803.jpg

@RGbrown Ahh the NARS!!

testing