cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Show Me Your Declutters!

I received an order today with four new lipsticks,

(Lancome L'Absolue Lacquer...I will never ever stop mentioning these every-dang-where 😄😍)

but had absolutely no room for them in my containers. While the thought "buy more containers" crossed my mind for a brief second, I quickly dismissed it as I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with too much stuff. I'd been pulling out one or two here and there, but today was the big reckoning!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!

This is only the stuff I pulled today; I have a small train case packed full of the other lippies (and some palettes) that I've been slowly pulling over the last couple of months. Do I still have more I could get rid of? Yeah, most likely...if I was on the fence, I erred on the side of keeping it rather than tossing. And I didn't swatch every single keeper to weed out similar shades, so there's probably still a good bit of overlap in my berry-heavy collection. But my oh my, I feel soooo much better now. I found not only things I had forgotten about, but things I really had no clue I even owned in the first place 🤣

So...do you have too much too? Ready to clear up some space and salvage a little sanity? Share your declutters with us; we wanna see it! 

Re: Show Me Your Declutters!

@ohheyitscindyk

I know, it broke my heart 😞 😞 😞 Getting rid of them is tough, but I just can't do the matte pencils. 😞

I do like the satin pencils though...wish they'd focus on those more, since there aren't nearly as many shades of them 😕

@RGbrown I haven't tried the satin pencils, but I'll be sure to add them to my list now!

@RGbrown Have you thought about sending your stuff to GlamBot?  They only take certain brands, and I don't think they pay very much at all - but it might get you a few dollars...which you can use to buy more beauty items!  I think they have some caveat where you have to send like 17 items at a time, though.

@greeneyedgirl107Unidentified

I'd never heard of them, so I looked them up real quick. Neat idea, but man, they are cheap. Up to $7.75 for an ABH eye palette? Yikes! I know used significantly decreases value, and they have to make a profit, but I think I'd just as soon sell on eBay myself for that return, lol. 

@RGbrown Yes - they are cheap!!!  I had a MUFE lipstick and they only wanted to give people less than $2 for those -- and the mark up on items is ridiculous.  I've heard Poshmark is a good place to sell gently used cosmetics if you don't want to do eBay.  I'm too lazy for either, which is why I looked into GlamBot 😛

RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

Was starting to run out of room so I knew I had to let some things go. I genuinely love all of those UD lipsticks and actually prefer this packaging over the new Vice packaging. But alas they were getting old. Those Mac lipsticks (Japanese Maple, Among the Fireflies, and Velvet Teddy) are super nostalgic. I kept them for a long time due to the meaning attached to them. But they too had to go.

Re: RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

@m26430Unidentified

Decluttering can be so bittersweet! It can be tough to let go of the old loves even when they've outlived their life expectancy. Congrats on tackling a difficult task! 

Found some more things to declutter. My sister and niece don't have much makeup so they were very happy to take these off my hands! 😉482FFAD0-F5AD-40AA-9632-A79B21692272.jpeg

2AF9D843-EFE7-45E5-BC38-E58148FFA4E3.jpeg

@Shosh85 They will appreciate it so much. You’ll save space, they’ll save money. Win win 😊

@PinkEvergreen Exactly👌 That's how I look at it! 😉

@Shosh85 They surely are happy to receive your declutters ! I only have a nephew and he’s not into makeup! When I declutter, I give them to my mom! She appreciates it 😉 !

@keana1 3 out of 4 of my sisters that live close by, my teenage niece and just about everyone at work, are all candidates for my declutters! Ha! 👍

Im glad your mom is able to be the recipient of yours! 😉

@RGbrown Okay, I’m doing the unthinkable. I’m decluttering unopened backups 😮

I've finally come to the conclusion that, for me, backups are just not a good idea. First, some of them are getting old (coming up on a year) because it takes time to get through the opened ones. Second, better formulations seem to be coming out all the time, and I find myself wanting to move on from my existing products once they run out — and often before they do 😬.

I have unopened backups of blush, highlighter, and even an eyeshadow palette. A friend’s birthday is coming up and she is a new makeup enthusiast, so I think I will gift her several of my unopened backups. She doesn’t have a lot of makeup, so I know they’ll start being used well-before they expire. 

So very sweet of you, @PinkEvergreen! Your friend is going to have so much fun with all of her new goodies, thanks to you 🙂

Did another pass through my lipsticks and came up with quite a few more to get rid of. Found a few liquid mattes I missed the first time around, and after wearing bullet mattes the last few days, I'm coming to realize I just don't like them much. They have a tendency to settle in my lines and crack, and while I can make them work with primer and gloss, I'm not keen on the extra steps...I want lipstick to be easy. I'm sad I'm losing several great colors, but the reality is I wouldn't be reaching for these anyways, so there's no point in keeping them. ☹️

I haven't cleared out my MAC mattes and NARS velvet matte pencils yet...gonna do a wear test on some of those over the next few days, but I have a feeling my MAC and NARS collections are about to be gutted too. 

Shu Uemura isn't matte; they are glossy lacquers similar to the Lancome I love...but they are patchy and gloopy and sticky instead of soft and smooth. Meh.Shu Uemura isn't matte; they are glossy lacquers similar to the Lancome I love...but they are patchy and gloopy and sticky instead of soft and smooth. Meh.

@RGbrown I also had a crazy "buy all of the things" stretch in 2017 so I'm not adding too many new items to my makeup collection (skincare is still fair game though!). However I'm the total opposite of you on the mattes thing. In fact, I don't think I own a single lip gloss or glossy finish lipstick. I basically only buy liquid lips now (which is why it broke my heart so see that KVD in your first pic) and the occsional matte lipstick. Although I always see people rocking glosses on the street I can't seem to make them work on myself. Somehow my hair would inevitably end up permanently glued to my face and it was always too much of a hassle. 

But anyway, I'm happy for you that you've been able to clean out your collections, it's something I've been dreading doing for a while but definitely should.

@RGbrown  That's great that you're able to figure out more about what you like through the declutter process. Do you keep a spreadsheet of the names of the lipsticks you declutter so you don't end up repurchasing them?

@GuessgalUnidentified

Nah, no spreadsheet. Since most of my declutters to date have been based more on formula than anything else, I know at this point not to buy a single matte, ever again 😅

At some point it may not be a bad idea though, once I start turning a critical eye to what's left and start deciding if certain shades in formulas I do like just aren't quite right.

I'm also doing pretty well with my low buy goals, and buying very little anyways...outside of gwps, Lancome Lacquers and a Clarins Lip stain are all I've intentionally added to my lip collection lately. I'm hoping to keep that momentum going...declutter more than I buy...so I can get this down to a collection of loves, and not a massive collection of everything lol.

@RGbrown Great job! Meeting those low-buy goals is a great feeling isn’t it? After an unrestrained 2017 (😬), I’ve been decluttering and shopping my stash a lot, and so far have reduced my spend by 75%.

It feels really good to be loving what I already have and just being happy for others here trying out things that interest me 😊

@PinkEvergreenUnidentified

2017 was "buy all the things" for me too. It feels nice to knock some of this down to a more reasonable sized collection 😁

@RGbrown I totally feel you on the mattes.  I hate how drying they can be and how flat they look.  Give me a lip color with a bit of shine!  Glad to see you're weeding out the ones you don't want.

testing