cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Show Me Your Declutters!

I received an order today with four new lipsticks,

(Lancome L'Absolue Lacquer...I will never ever stop mentioning these every-dang-where 😄😍)

but had absolutely no room for them in my containers. While the thought "buy more containers" crossed my mind for a brief second, I quickly dismissed it as I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with too much stuff. I'd been pulling out one or two here and there, but today was the big reckoning!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!

This is only the stuff I pulled today; I have a small train case packed full of the other lippies (and some palettes) that I've been slowly pulling over the last couple of months. Do I still have more I could get rid of? Yeah, most likely...if I was on the fence, I erred on the side of keeping it rather than tossing. And I didn't swatch every single keeper to weed out similar shades, so there's probably still a good bit of overlap in my berry-heavy collection. But my oh my, I feel soooo much better now. I found not only things I had forgotten about, but things I really had no clue I even owned in the first place 🤣

So...do you have too much too? Ready to clear up some space and salvage a little sanity? Share your declutters with us; we wanna see it! 

Re: Show Me Your Declutters!

Gasp! Not Loccitane hand cream!

@suzyo Hahaha I just don't like those two. The shea one i...

@suzyo Hahaha I just don't like those two. The shea one is too rich for my hands and my hands get all sweaty with the almond one for some reason. I love the rose one but these two just don't work for me unfortunately.

I'm inspired by this thread, and have an extra few days off so I'm decluttering around the house anyway... have now sent all this to makeup purgatory:

IMG_20180711_155047.jpg

All nice, just not for me. l haven't been able to bring myself to put any of this in the bin, but at least now it's in a separate box to foist on the first lucky recipient I can find 🎁😂

Basically I just need to never spend money on anything matte, opaque, or mid-toned again... they never stay in my collection. Satin, cream, and "blur" finishes are my matte equivalents.

OMG!  So sorry those Huda lippies didn't work for you!  I love them!   Great de-stash, @fieldsofclover!

Great job, @fieldsofclover!  I’m not surprised to see that Naked Basics palette in your pile! I don’t blame you for being done with it!

I think I have like 3 of those little Smashbox palettes.... I definitely need to de clutter those!

I feel the same way about mattes. I always go for anything that says butter, cream, satin, etc.

@fieldsofclover Ahh the Naked Basics! I know I have that somewhere, collecting dust.

@Shosh85 @ohheyitscindyk @fieldsofclover OMG - I hate those Naked Basics mini palettes so much!  I kept almost pulling the trigger on the Ultimate Basics palette on sale, but then I look at my mini palettes and talk myself out of it!  They are just too cool toned on me and tend to look grey - my daughter on the other hand loves them!

@Tamara76 Well, at least yours didn’t go to waste!👍

@Shosh85 Between my daughter, friends, coworkers and other family members, there is always someone happy to take beauty, makeup, clothing and jewelry off my hands if it doesn't work out for me. 🙂

@fieldsofclover Ooooh I regret not getting that Marc Jacobs lippie. What about it didn’t you like that it finds itself in your declutter pile? 

@alexasteph My natural lip color is a pretty dark mauve. I thought it would be an MLBB but it was a shade too light 😿

@fieldsofclover I see. That was why I didn’t pick it up initially, and I never got a chance to find it in store. The FOMO still hits me though, because even thought I was worried it may be too light, I wasn’t able to ever try it. 

@alexasteph PM me your address, I'll send it to you!

@fieldsofclover That’s so generous of you, thank you!! 🤗🤗🤗

RIP to naked basics - I know you tried to make it work for a long time. I purchased it a while back when it was a weekly wow and as soon as I opened it I thought, “why are 3 of the 5 shades the same?” and then it was returned 🧐🤔 you definitely have much better options in your drawer! @fieldsofclover

@scott1201 I'm pretty close to panning it, too! Talc just ain't for me in general, I've realized. I had to talk myself down from Peachy Mattes because (most of) the colors are perfect for me but I just can't with mattes anymore. I'm better off putting $40 into one good semi-sheer lipstick than I am spending $10 on another matte anything.

The Perricone No Eyeshadow Eyeshadow is doing everything I wanted the Naked Basics to, so at least that got solved eventually. Even if it went 50% off the DAY AFTER I bought it for 20% off 😂😂😂 h/t @RGbrown

@fieldsofclover I love all the pinks and purples! 💕 But I’ve already decluttered some of the same items on the left lol... And, I’ve just decided to declutter all my Bite High Pigment Pencils (same shades as yours), due to that weird odour/grit issue I mentioned in another post. 

Congrats and keep it up 👍

@PinkEvergreen I really wanted the High Pigment pencils to work, but at this point in my collecting I hadn't quite come to terms with the fact that basically only three lip colors work on me, haha 💄

Nowadays I'm very berry-heavy like @RGbrown is. I thought I only bought those because I had purple hair, then I cut off all the purple and realized everything worked because I have violet undertone 🤦🤷🍇

@fieldsofclover

You've put a lot more thought into than I have...I have no clue what my tone is, much less any undertones that may confuse the issue. I keep looking at my wrist in vain...I can't tell a dang thing. Some days I think I'm more pink, other days I think I'm more yellow. I keep thinking I should at least do a ColorIQ just to get an idea, but I'm not interested in foundation/concealer to begin with, so I haven't bothered. I just know that I keep loving how the berries look, with the occasional red or purple or even a deep rose/mauve if I need to tone down for some reason...and while I tried some nudes and some deeper browns/bricks and some peachy/coral tones, they never looked quite right in my mind. I always felt washed out and just pale. Perhaps the shades were simply a bit off for me and some fine-tuning would have fixed 'em, but I'm just not interested anymore. Berry it is! 😄 

@RGbrown ColorIQ isn't quite sophisticated enough to figure me out 🤖👾😂

You seem to pick up the same kinds of colors I do, so here's one thing to look for... pay attention to where the colors that work seem to fall on the scale of muted to clear (which often equals bright, but not always). A relatively clear "nude" shade is a real unicorn, so you probably only reach for a couple like that, and they aren't traditional nudes. One other thing would be that you reach for brights (ok, I get a freebie there) but not Barbie pinks... the pinks and fuschias you collect need some red in them.

(Also, if you can wear a coral or fuschia shirt well, even if it's not a great lip color for you, you might be one of these undertone unicorns.)

I have the professional advantage of having had a lot of color theory, but that instinctive "knowing" when something works or doesn't is still what gives all the clues.

@fieldsofcloverwrote:

One other thing would be that you reach for brights (ok, I get a freebie there) but not Barbie pinks... the pinks and fuschias you collect need some red in them.

Winner winner chicken dinner! No barbie or bubblegum shades; they are too light-slash-bright for me. While I do reach for "bright" pinks, they've got to be deeper/darker in tone, with either the red or the purple mixed in. Muted, soft, and on down the line to pastel...those are never shades I go for. 

I do wear fuchsia and like it! Coral...I really don't know...can't find any in my wardrobe lol. I don't wear much orange or its relatives...it's never been a color that speaks to me. (Now that I'm wearing fun makeup though, I find myself gravitating to black and white a good bit so there's less color competition. Saves me from having to make sure everything works together lolol.)

I can't think of a single true "nude" in my collection, frankly. If I want to go with what I call my "neutrals" (which is nowhere close to the real definition of it, ha), I'll grab Fenty Sci Fly or Butter Plush Rush in Fab (described as "rose", but it's really deep/rich for what I'd normally think of as a rose shade).

Reading so many stories of the ColorIQ being nowhere near accurate has been the other half of my laziness at getting one done 😛

testing