Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Sephora Favorites Sets : share your thoughts, questions and pics

a place to post about all things Sephora Favorites sets: past, present and future. Have a question, please ask.  Have a review, please post.  Have pics, please show us. These sets are one of my favorite things about shopping at Sephora. I get to try a bunch of products for a lower price and always end up finding some HG items. 

Today, I got the Sephora Favorites: Beauty on the Fly. It was $42 plus ebates was at 8%.  For me, I've either been wanting to try all of these items, or have tried and really like them. 

More pics and thoughts in the first post. 

image.jpeg

Re: Sephora Favorites Sets : share your thoughts, questions and pics

@purly I wish Sephora would make these kits with customizable options so everyone could partake. The products come in other shades so why not offer these shade so the sets as well?

i agree with you a million per cent!

@purly - Say What? Chic it Easy has concealer and a Tinted SPF that actually blends into white skin? Sign Me Up!! Gotta go Chic that out, if it's currently available. No Tinted product has ever worked on me. I agree that products that are supposed to work for more than one skin color/tone have never worked on me. But I'm a sucker, so I keep buying and trying! I can only speak about Persons of NO Color, moi. I don't know if I've had discussions with friends who have deeper skin tones re: this issue. But I'm thinking your theory is true. Wait, I just fibbed, when in school I had a friend who would mix 3-4 liquid foundations in an effort to get the right color for her deep skintone. But no info with my current friends.

I'm gonna burst into song again....look out.....here it comes.....🎶🎤"It's not that easy being this white, having to spend each day the color of the (new fallen)snow......" 🎶 Just be glad you couldn't hear that! (Love Kermit's version, but Mandy Patinkins version is just wondrous, to me atleast. Many people will likely know him as Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride, LOVE IT/HIM!! If you've never heard his version, maybe check it out on youtube, I hope anyone who does will love it too, I mean, the guy's Inigo Montoya! If you do not listen, prepare (for me) to cry! 😣 

Back to business. purly, have you ever tried Amazing Cosmetics? They have some very light shades. Bare Minerals lightest shade is a speck too dark for me  (yes, I'm that white! But I had more success with Amazing Cosmetics powder. Sometimes I just use Bare Minerals non-tinted Mineral Veil or a finishing powder that is virtually white. I had some luck with Estee Lauders lightest translucent powder. It may have changed since I used it though. You could also try Just For Redheads website, I haven't been there in a while, should pop in. I hope something here helps purly. 😊

Forget bronzers, not a chance! I thought of doing an "Imitation Vacation" tan, just to see what I would look like, but with sensitive skin, I'm too chicken.

Kssweetheart, the other other white meat! 😜

I think with kits that carry complexion products they should include a voucher to redeem for your proper shade. There have been many kits or sets I would have loved to try but couldn't because the shades were too dark. I'm fair-light and neutral lean cool, but have found most sets are for more medium and warm skin tones. I totally understand why though - from a business and a production standpoint, those "middle" shades will cover more of the population. Depending on the product itself I can sometimes make it work (like certain powders are fine if they are a little dark), but I usually just have to say "Hm, too bad" and not purchase the kit. I was very happy to find this kit would work with my skin tone but can see why anyone darker than fair-light would be upset about these products not being a shade match, since the value is so good. 

That's one thing I have always loved about the bareMinerals kits, they do allow you to customize the shade you get and can still have the value and try the other products. Laura Geller does this too (for about half of the kits). With curated sets like this one, though, I'm sure Sephora works with the other brands to included their products and they come to some sort of an agreement. We have no idea what went on behind the scenes to develop this set, and we don't know how the decision to include those particular shades of YSL and LM was reached. Of course, I would hope Sephora will listen to the feedback to try for improvement next time, but as consumers we need to make sure we provide honest, constructive, and meaningful feedback so they can make the changes we desire and still feel good about the process. 

@alexasteph - Agreed, I wish more kits had vouchers, it would definitely be a major incentive to buy kits.

I also love the big Bare Minerals Collections! Even though the lightest shade is a bit too dark, I don't think anyone but me notices. (You know how we can be our biggest and worst critics.) I could mix it with a very white finishing powder that I now have. Keeping an eye out for a great big collection to give that a try.

I prefer the ones that QVC offers, with many products, it doesn't seem they do that many anymore, or I 'M just watching on the wrong days.

A+ for your feedback thoughts. 👍

I'd really love to see more shade options for skin products offered in these sets. 

It's interesting though, because I don't consider the YSL Touche Eclat to be a concealer - more of a liquid highlight (similar to the liquid Becca products). So even though it's offered in different shades, I don't really take issue with only one shade being offered in the kit. 

the LM is much more problematic for me. It isn't really a sunscreen, it's a tinted moisturizer. And it's verrrry noticeably orange and dark on my skin, so I can't just wear it under foundation (it isn't even advertised as an SPF product in Canada, since we haven't different regulations. So there's no mention of SPF protection, just that it's a tinted moisturizer).

I'd be happier if the sets just didn't include them, or if a voucher was included (that we could redeem for our choice of colour), or feature different shades like the brow kits mentioned by others.

But at the end of the day, I bought this set believing the LM would be too dark for me but wanting the rest of the kit anyways.  

(User has opted out of the BeautyTalk community.)

Yep, I apply like any other tinted moisturizer/BB cream. The tint of this shade is just too dark for me (which isn't surprising for me since LM makes so many other shades of this product, and this is the second lightest). 

I distinguish between a face product like this (one designed to match your skin tone) versus a colour product in a set like this. The former simply won't work for everyone, while the latter may not meet my preferences. For people who dislike red lipstick, this probably wouldn't be their favourite set. But it can be fun/helpful to try out products you wouldn't normally use. But a product intended to match my skin tone when it doesn't, that isn't helpful at all. 

While I agree that they should offer these kits that include foundation type products in a choice of skintones (like the brow kit), this has been a complaint on all their favorites kits for as long I've been buying from sephora (3-4 years). I think it should be different but it probably won't be as long as their kits continue to sell out anyway 😞

Last year they had a a favourites set for eyebrows that came in 3 different shades. It would be nice if they did the same for these kind of sets too. The Chic it Easy set doesn't exactly work for me, but at $33 I can make it work with some help from Cover FX drops. 

I got my Chic It Easy set and love it! I'm so thankful that everything matches my skin almost perfectly, yay! Here's a photo of me wearing the Nars lipstick, Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and the YSL touche eclat! I also used the polish to paint both my finger and toe nails and think it's just beautiful!  Went on pretty opaque with one coat :).

chicset.jpg

Love this set! Everything looks great on you.

Absolutely gorgeous!  You look so polished yet effortless. The jungle red is a perfect red for you too

thanks for sharing the pic

(User has opted out of the BeautyTalk community.)

Yeah my photo is just from me throwing on the stuff last night before bed lol I wasn't doing a full look or anything, just testing out the products! Today I actually did some winged liner and will be wearing the lipstick tonight when I go out 🙂

You look beautiful! I love this lipstick on you!

I came here for the beautiful picture.  That lipstick is stunning on you!  That kit was made for you!

The "Chic It Easy" set was priced at C$33 when it launched on the Canadian site, which was such a good deal as the price was even lower than the US price! I had it on my "Loves" list and though it is OOS right now, I see that the price has been updated to C$58!

Sephora_ChicIt.png

That was my first buy of YSL thanks to price error *still new to high-end make-up...love it

Glad I bought it!! I still have to try out the kit but wow what a good deal it was 😃

I totally jumped on this $33 deal, and am super happy with it. Hellooooo Touche Eclat that I never would have purchased! It gave me a chance to try the Caudalie Beauty Elixir, but I have to say...no bueno.  There's so much alcohol and fragrance in it--it felt like spraying perfume on my face. Gah!

I'm so happy for anyone who was able to get it at this "mistake" price from the Canadian set, it's so exciting when things like that happen! I purchased it from the US site and even at the corrected price, it's such a nice set and totally worth it in my opinion! 

1,925 Replies
testing