Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

How fun would a version of those involving rhinestones or other shiny things be?? I need that in my life

Ummm - yes to anything with sparkles or shinies Smiley Happy

I used to have a ton of those but i dont know if it's because i live near mexico lol, we have a lot of weird stuff here. i'm sure if i tried i could probably still find these. XD 

I grew up in Turkey and we had these too! Maybe it wasn't a US trend but they were for sure super popular in Europe & possibly Middle East

OMG some of these are STILL lurking in my Kaboodle!

O jeez - those things! EVERYONE had them!!

Also - I still have a soft spot for Spice Girls Smiley Happy

I had these clips too, Blackwhiskey! They definitely had their moment in the hair accessories world. Smiley Wink

<3, Randee

I think if you look closely in my prom pictures I had some of these, I just think they were shaped something else with rhinestones. O.o

Well i was the youngest of 6 and I'm like 10 years younger then the ones before me so not only did i experience trends from my generation but theres too lol ! 

Buuuut some things i remember are

-Huge Hoop Earrings

-Mesh/Netted Shirts  

-DIY jeans with the glitter and sequins and puffy paint ( haha i begged my sis to make me a pair) 

-Jackets tied around your waist 

-Super thick lip liner 

-Mood Ringss( had soooo many) 

-The one pant leg rolled look 

-Fubu,Rockawear,BabyPhat....yeaaa....

- (This might have just been my neighboorhood) Walking around super colorful with a lollipop and barrets that matched your outfit/shoes <<< -hangs head in shame- 

oh and something more recent > galaxy tights ( should not have done it , don't know why i did it, it was a mistake, so much NO in one piece of clothing , just pretending like it didn't happen) 

Ok ok...I like the galaxy tights Smiley Happy

They just didn't look good on me!! lol

Somewhere in an archived 90's photo album, at an Aspen ski lodge, there is a pic of a bunch of kids. One of them is wearing huge JNCO jeans, an M &M's branded Rugby shirt(collar popped)-hair in multiple ponytails with barettes in every color in a bag of M &M's on the tips.

yes.

*hangs head in shame too*

It's ok it didn't happen haha! 

This is such a fun thread.  I lived through all these horrible trends and participated in almost all of them!

oldschool.jpg

1. Can't forget the platform flip flops.  I was cleaning out my old room and actually found a pair.  They were Candie's, light pink, with sequins on the top part.  I put them on and looked in the mirror and was like EW!  Haha!  I threw them out!

oldschool2.jpg

2. White eyeliner on the top lid with no other makeup on the eyes.  Does anyone else remember this?  It looked very shocking... not sure what look we were trying to achieve but I remember trying it out a few years ago just for fun and it looked scary.

oldschool3.jpg

3.  I had the necklace and the bracelet.  Ew.

oldschool4.jpeg

4.  I could be showing my age here but did anyone else belong to the club of kids who wore the hell out of these CK tops?  I had one in light blue and wore it constantly.  I remember these came in all different colors and men and women both wore them all the time.  We were advertising for CK basically, haha.

oldschool5.jpg

5.  Definitely rocked the yin yang earrings.  I probably also had a ring too.

Also, just remembered (couldn't find a good picture) this one.  Wearing a baggy t-shirt and tucking it into hideously fitting jeans but pulling out some of the fabric.  It looked like a bubble around the waist.

i had those flip flops lol 

i remember the white eyeliner thing (i participated). perplexing trend for sure. i will say though that the photo you chose to illustrate it looks really beautiful though haha.

Haha... I know!  I tried to find a photo where it looked as bad as it did on me but to no avail.  Smiley Very Happy  I actually really like white eyeliner now (more nude-ish rather than stark white) on my waterline.

Those flip flops! I had so many of them and I would always end up twisting my ankleSmiley Sad

<3 Melissa

Had the flip flops - I think my mom still wears them - weirdo Smiley Happy Also did the shirt thing...and I remember BeBe shirts were sooo popular, I was always begging to have one

Yes!  I remember the BeBe shirts now!  I had it in white with rhinestones but I didn't wear it much because I was self conscious of my figure and it was kind of a form fitting shirt.  Lol... Memories...!

308 Replies