Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

ok, story time.

are there any specific trends you took part in--or habits you too part of--only to look back and think 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?!'. it may be embarrassing, it may be humorous, either way--it's one of the more entertaining elements of beauty/makeup that we can only learn to fully understand (and appreciate !) with hindsight. 

in the early 2000s i hated the fact i was pale, so i was often a victim of the earlish days of the self tanner craze. i remember thinking it was MAGIC, only to to notice the next day in fresh daylight that i had bright orange streaks running down my calf. and you'd think that would've taught me my lesson but i'd just pretend like it wasn't there and continued on with it for months. another was the disaster at my attempt at a glossy eyelids (posted about more thoroughly in the 'what was your first sephora purchase' thread). and i'll add more to these 'confessions' as i remember more !

just to note: this is all in good-spirited nostalgic fun, and NOT to demean anyone's tastes or experiences.

Re: REGRETTABLE TRENDS AND BEAUTY HABITS -- OH NO !

oh geeze. primer didn't even exist (in any common consumer form, at least...that i know of) when i was in school. tinted moisturizer was a fairly new trend product i think but i never partook because i needed more coverage--my skin was not at it's best. 

around my second year of high school, I was starting my first love phase with sephora. I was finally learning to like how I looked and would wear super bright eyeshadows, glitter, blue mascara, etc.  But ohhh man, the blue eyeshadow. I would put it solidly across my eyelid, but then bring it into the corner of my eye as well, like you would a highlighting powder. Sometimes I'd get even crazier and do the inner corner with a contrasting color like orange. Until one day this girl was drawing a nasty portrait of me on the white board that was just a caricature of how did my makeup... Lol, pretty sure that was the last time I wore bright colors. Boo for her making me feel crappy, but it was at least a bad look!

oh god no that's horrible of that girl. be proud of your younger self's open mind and creativity--even if the results were a disaster !! i was experimental like that my freshman year particularly, and was a bit of a laughing stock, too; but i know now that that spoke more of those people than it did of me. i remember once i was in the girls bathroom 'retouching' and putting mascara on and a girl looks at me and goes "um, i think you have on enough mascara now" and then starting laughing. sigh.

Highlighted

Let's just say I found makeup on my own...with no one to help me and guide me on the right path. I must've done my makeup in the dark because all I can say is..."EW".  My first ever makeup purchase was Viva Glam Gaga 1 & 2 from MAC (when I was 11) and one was a BRIGHT BUBBLEGUM pink lipstick. I wore it proudly and when I see pictures now I'm just like, " oh god please burn those pictures." . I was basically only wearing  lipstick back then and my lips overpowered my whole face. Moving on to 8th grade I went through the raccoon eyes phase when I tried to do wings, but they ended up looking to thick triangles. I'm just thankful I didn't go with the spidery lashes trend that most teenagers seem to love now. 

I used to powder my face up like marilyn manson, and only my face. Yep. >_> Now if I want to be alabaster, I do everything! lol 

Oh and before that, I used to go to a private school and my friend was into makeup and I was a tomboy, I saw her use one of those green sticks that reduce redness? I still .. anyway, I bought one of those and ended up applying it all over my face until one day she told me "don't do that, your face looks minty green!" xD 

oh !!! in high school i tried one of those green concealer sticks--cover girl made it and it looked like lipstick, shape wise. it was supposed to hide redness but instead it just made my zits greenish !

hahahahhahaa i just thought it made me look white, boy was i wrong, i dont know what i was thinking. I think it was cover girl, i know maybelline has a green now, but i have a feeling there was a white tube with that green at wal mart. 

I mentioned this briefly in another thread but...concealer lips. Ugh I hate that look so much and this was just a few years ago. OK, about five years ago but still uncomfortably recent. 

And brown lipstick in the '90s. I know this look is coming back and there's no shame in this game but I seriously hate this color lip. My college roommate and I would buy so much brown lipstick and liner from ULTIMA and ULTIMA II (I loved that brand and wish it was still around. It had great packaging.) 

I mentioned the same in another thread too. It was so bad I'd put foundation or actual concealer over my lips throughout the day because I hated how pigmented they were. I hate that I have pictures to prove it!

I loved my brown lipsticks.  I had two different mini samplers of various browns from Prescriptives.  I can still remember the look some girl gave me ("you're such a weirdo") as I applied a lovely shade of brown while in the girl's locker room getting ready for phys ed.. sigh.

I want to get a brown lipstick haha should I rethink that?

no. do it. i love that it's making a bit of a comeback, it looks fresh again !

I'd love to see you with a nice, brown lip - think you'd be gorgeous in any shade.

i TOTALLY did concealer lips. in high school, i was convinced anything with red tones would bring out the red in my face--which in those days meant angy zits. so i'd rub my MAC potted concealer onto my lips as if it were lip balm. sometimes i'd apply a lipgloss on top of it. often times frosted.

but i'm totally feeling the brown lip resurgence. no shame.

the "smokey eye"! Now, don't get me wrong, ladies: i still love a smoky eye. But when I first "discovered" it, I wore it. All. The. Time. 8 in the morning? Smoky eye. Lunch in a bright restaurant in mid-afternoon? Smoky eye. too much of a good thing ended up being a bad thing.

my future prediction: in 10 years, we will look back and see the ombré hair trend and wonder what we were all thinking. Till then, celebrate it!

CRACK. ME. UP!! Smoky eyes..smoky eyes everywhere! 

I thought the ombre hair trend was already out of style? Shows how much I know! Smiley Wink

Hey I KNOW I wasn't the ONLY BTer running around with farrrrr too thin brows in the late-90s,/early '00s!!!

I was so proud of my movie star eye brows!

I have to comment on this topic! In middle/high school my friends and I were those girls - the ones with huge, poofed up bangs, crunchy hair, thin black eyebrows and eyeliner and - wait for it - brown lip liner filled in with concealer sticks.

Wet n Wild #666? Anyone? I went through so many of those suckers, I think WnW is still in business because of me!

Also wore overalls with one side unhooked, those weird bubble shirts, platform Sketcherz and shaved the underside of my ponytail. Oh, the embarrassment.

LOL Platform Sketchers!! I used to wear my white ones and feel like a super cool Spice Girl Smiley Tongue

Hehe, I still like my platform sneakers!!

Me too. I like the platform sneakers....maybe it's because I like lying about my height. LOL.

The platform is so coming back now! I remember I had giant velcro strapped sandals like these babies. You didn't know pain until you rolled our ankle wearing one of these. 

Bahaha! Oh, platforms. I think most are hideous nowadays, no matter if they're sandals, sneakers, etc. Just too chunky!

Yes! Oh my goodness, I totally had those white ones that Babyspice is wearing too:/

<3 Melissa