Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

oh oh oh ! @TKLJ @txcatx somewhat relevant and somewhat out of no where (sorry) to what yall are discussing, i've found that the best way to use the color IQ system is not to get matched in store (often disastrous) but if you know of a foundation that matches you well, you can reverse-look it up here on the website, and it'll tell you the shade's colorIQ as well as other foundations that fall under the same IQ number.

it's not a perfect system but it's been an invaluable resource to me, and i trust it a gazillion times more than a person who insists i have cool undertones and i have to explain over and over that not all pale girls are pink ! (for reference i'm 5Y01 or 4Y01)

@jemly That's exactly what I've been doing, and it's so helpful! Color IQ consistently matches me as 4Y06, but most items in 4Y04 are perfect.  

@txcatx your foundation matching story is like when a SA at victoria's secret wanted to size me for a bra. I refused, but she insisted. I told her I was already wearing one of their bras in 32B....guess what she measured me as? 32B. I don't see how it's accurate to measure my bra size if they're gonna do it when I'm already wearing one...

I got matched for a shade that was too pinky for me. Took me awhile to realize what undertones were then

@txcatx @mella900 In my experience the best method for matching with both bras and foundations would be to use a starting point and then refine using trial and error.

My foundation matches were all done by using a starting point (from the Color IQ machine), and going darker/lighter if it matches. My undertones throw things off completely, so I definitely need to try on! Not to mention studio lighting is horrible. Everything looks like it'd match my in store, but it's almost guaranteed that it won't look good under natural lighting.

Regarding bras - the only place that was able to fit me properly was Nordstrom. Victoria's Secret still uses the ancient method of adding 5" to your rib cage. I know that I'm a 32DDD based on fitting tips and comfort (rarely does a bra make me feel uncomfortable), but when I went to VS they measured me as a 36C (my rib cage is 31", so add 5" and that makes me a 36), which basically offers no support even on the tightest hook. Saddest thing is, their 32DDD bras do fit me...so their sizing is correct, but the fitting is terrible.

Foundation is such a personal product too. Props to you for saying something!

I sometimes forget how different people's views can be on makeup, it's pretty funny. I'm at college, and while my makeup can go a little extreme colors wise even for it, for the most part people don't blink twice at dark purple lipsticks, vampy reds, etc. Then I went to visit my father wearing what I thought was fairly toned downed makeup  and first thing he says is "That's quite a bold lipstick" (it was the sephora birthday one. Even though I'm very pale and thing stand out on me, I still thought it was pretty standard). Just made me laugh a bit about perspectives.

Possible replies:

"Congrats on raising such a confident daughter"

"Did you want to borrow it?"

"It was the only color that would stand up to me, the others were whimpering in their cases"

"Thanks, my cat/dog recommended it"

"Yeh, it's the only color dark enough to cover my new lip tattoo.. oops"

"I wear it so nobody steals my coffee cups"

Haha, I'm so tempted, but I sadly don't think y father would appreciate my snark (however next time I run into someone a little too nosy at the grocery store I might have to pull one out). Luckily my father meant it well (though he might have a fit at the dark purples, lol), but he tends to be bad at wording complements. 

And the last comment is too true. I never mix my cup up with my friends haha.

HAHA I love these replies! I should remember some of these

LOL @Insomniacmuffin, I am going to try the last one, should work with my family! 😆

Highlighter palettes - Pass

Eye shadow palettes - Non

Primers - nah

Eyeliners/pencils - no

Primers - ne

Mascara - hell naw! 

Matte liquid lipsticks - die die die!

Contour things - get away from me!

"Who are these crazy people?"

*Goes off to corner and buys another lipstick friend #42,894*

#iamnotcrazyouareyesyounotme

#mypuppyiscuterthanyours

I know how to pronounce Givenchy properly. But every single time I read it, in my head I still say "Giv-EN-chee" and then scold myself for mispronouncing it.

Ahaha, I just got off the Sephora customer service line. The CS rep was reading off what was in the order and pronounced "Hourglass" as "whore-glass." 😄

Ouch! 

Do you ever feel just over everything with people pushing products on you and bombarded by emails (by no means am I talking about anyone here sharing deals, hauls, etc those are fun). Just companies in general. It's not even December and I'm over everything already. I'm so burnt out on the barrage of products I shut down my phone over the holiday weekend and had over 100+ emails on Monday. It's just too much - like you can't turn anywhere without being bum rushed by all these things whether it be sales, bad news, or people screaming about all sorts of things. I just want peace and quiet - seriously thinking about becoming a hermit. The bad thing is that I'm not even done with Christmas shopping and cringe at the thought of going to the mall. I hate how commercialized the holidays have become - I just want to sit in front of my tree (when it gets put up) and be at peace. Lately everything just feels like poison and I hate it. I'd wish I had a cabin in the woods or something to retreat to, but I saw the movie Cabin in the Woods and I don't want to now :D. I'm just so tired of it all......

I'm so thankful that Gmail filters all the promotional/store emails into the promotional folder, so I don't get notifications for it. I can look at it when I want to. Otherwise, it really is too much!

@niki172 Use Unroll.me to manage your email! I've found that it's very helpful to manage promotional emails and press releases (to this day, I'm not sure how I got on George Strait's and the American Mustache Institute's press lists). If you're subscribed to a ton of lists, then it'll take some time to go through, but I think it's totally worth it.

I agree @niki172. There are some companies whose mailing list I'm subscribed to, and they send multiple emails a week, sometimes not about anything in particular. I only want to see emails about promos, new products, and maybe upcoming releases, but some companies (looking at you, CT) will send emails about products that are part of their permanent lineup, nothing exciting, etc. I get excited, and then disappointed only to find out it's just spam about one of their products that they emailed about last week as well. Of course I could unsubscribe, but then I'd miss any emails about new releases.

Or, places like Kate Spade (love the stuff they make, hate their emails) will keep reminding you about their 75% off surprise sale ending in one day, 12 hours, midnight, etc... DH also told me Best Buy sent him an email every 2 hours or so during Black Friday weekend. That would drive me absolutely nuts.

@k617 - I started unsubing to some sites and some of them gave me the option to only receive emails a couple of times a week. Best Buy was one of those places btw. Bath and body works is notorious for the countdown emails - so frustrating. But like you say if you unsub you won't know about sales/releases. I had 27 emails from vendors today in my inbox. I guess at least it's December????

I know what you mean. My friend recently started selling the Tyra Beauty products. .

You ladies are killing me with all of the deals and discounts, I met my max and am on a no buy until who knows when (let's see how long that lasts:D)

I'll be having ramen noodles for the rest of the year if I keep this up.

6,152 Replies
testing