Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

RE: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

Went into Guitar Center and came across a guitar that has better brows than I ever will... ๐Ÿฅบ

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I was in-store today, and a SA pointed out a team member who she said was in to educate the cast about Sephora's new rewards system, which would be moving to "cash back" in April.  She sd people were complaining about the current system and the "little" products.

I'm curious if anyone else has heard murmurs of this.  I also wonder how it would work - because if it will be how the $100 Rouge gift cards have been going then I think a lot of people may wind up being frustrated.

Ugh nevermind please just ignore me. My brain doesn't fully comprehend reading and retaining skills anymore. 

@greeneyedgirl107 That would be nice. I wonder if it has more to do with their credit card though. 

@Samtian I'll tell you what I thought was weird, though.  The SA was also pumping the $1 million sweepstakes.  I get that it's a big promotion, and she was just doing her job.  But I also felt like customers were being encouraged to use up their points - like, before the cash back is instituted.  

@greeneyedgirl107  Very interesting! I havenโ€™t heard anything from a Sephora employee, but now I might nose around a bit. If itโ€™s true, I also hope itโ€™s not implemented as a rewards bazaar offering, with a limited number of โ€œcash backโ€ rewards available twice a week. I wonder if the new $50 rouge reward is a public test related to this. Hmm. 

@WinglessOne Yes, I hope it isn't a Rewards Bazaar-type thing.  Let us know if you hear anything ๐Ÿ™‚

Dads like skincare too. I've been adding to my routine and seeing results. I knew he did a mask or two and liked Kiehl's. So I mentioned the changes I've noticed and we talked about what we use. He had 5 or 6 products he uses, depending on the day.  I also mentioned I planned to buy this set which includes an eye cream I don't want because it's still a better price than buying the 2 full size separately. He expressed interest in the eye cream! I have a DS of it that I'm giving him. If he likes it them he'll get the full size. I just thought it was too funny and very enlightening that my dad would want an eye cream.Screenshot_20190810-180150_Chrome.jpg

@heartsmyface @Tamara76 did either or both of you have a haul that included the Tarte Goal Getters set? I keep going back and forth about needing some new brushes and the style of these brushes look good for what I want. Any opinions on them? Thanks! Also sorry in advance if I misremembered and it was someone else who hauled them.

Hi, @ShortErica !  Do you mean the pink glitter brushes on the right (I donโ€™t 100% remember what theyโ€™re called):5612FDEE-780C-48D5-99F4-CA262EF63E6F.jpeg

If so, I really like them!  They are super cute and the bristles are soft, but also firm so they blend well!!!!๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

Yes @Tamara76 - those ones! Does the glitter on the brush fall off or is it encased in something?

@ShortErica There seems to be some kind of coating on the brushes to keep the glitter in place.  I occasionally get a sprinkle or two of glitter, but there is no noticeable fallout.

Not sure where to post but i just tumble on this clip.  Omg i know she's cool but didnt know she's this coool ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kind of a gross TMI question but here goes!

What do you guys do when you get a cold and there is a tissue induced dry sore on the inside of your nose? I am well versed in outside of nostril dryness, but i haven't had an issue inside my nose. Any thoughts on products i can put on it? I wasn't sure if i should treat this differently.

@scott1201  Happens to me each spring and winter. Saline spray/rinse will moisturize and clear bacteria. Petroleum jelly will protect and encourage healing. Make sure your saline product isnโ€™t medicated, or make your own at home. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Oh thank you so much, @WinglessOne!

That moment you realize you're laying in bed and trying to sleep, and you can't stop thinking about whether introducing a Vit C Serum you received as a promo, knowing you've incorporated other new skincare products recently and have no business adding more to the skincare routine without risking a bad reaction. And I cannot stop thinking about it...the things that keep a girl up at night...

@sprocketta I'm frustrated b/c I really want to try some new products, but will be increasing my Retin-A so I have to hold off.  For peptides, I want to try THE ORDINARY - Buffet

To increase my niacinamide The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

And to increase the amount of collagen in my routine The INKEY List Collagen Booster Firming Peptide Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

I've been using First Aid Beauty Ultra Repairยฎ Hydrating Serum

for its antioxidants as well as Paula's Choice Brightening Essence that has Vitamin C.  I want to try more Vitamin C, but that's a long way off for me!

I hear you @greeneyedgirl107 I introduced multiple things around the same time. Thankfully it's been okay but its risky in case you have a bad reaction to one and don't know which. Plus my skin is looking way more awesome but it's hard to pin down benefits from each product. And if you're using retinol it's best to he cautious. And what the heck does Buffet do? I've heard it talked it but it's unclear to me.

@sprocketta It's esp frustrating to have to put off trying some items with the sale next week.  But seeing how TO isn't included and The Inkey List is so inexpensive, I can't be too disappointed.

As for Buffet, I am most interested in the peptides (protein) for anti-aging. I probably would have ignored the product, but it's mentioned here so much that it piqued my interest and the cost can't be beat.  Of course I will post the beautypedia review (5/5 stars):

Spoiler

Buffet is The Ordinary's attempt to create a well-rounded serum rather than a one-note product. The all-skin-types formula succeeds with its impressive mix of proven, intriguing ingredients to help visibly reduce signs of aging. It's also proof that The Ordinary can create an aesthetically pleasing texture and finish, as this is by far their nicest-feeling serum.

Packed with skin-replenishing glycerin and peptides, Buffet comes packaged in a frosted-glass bottle with a dropper applicator. The glycerin and peptides are joined by sodium hyaluronate, amino acids, and other skin-replenishing and hydrating ingredients that help reinforce skin's surface for lasting results.

Although not as inexpensive as other products from The Ordinary, Buffet remains highly affordable based on the ingredients it contains. The Ordinary says that this combination of ingredients adds up to โ€œ25.1% by weight,โ€ but thatโ€™s a somewhat misleading way to state things. We suspect they mean a 25.1% total concentration, which is a more direct way to communicate what many consumers are looking for. Not surprisingly, the word choice has caused some confusion, but we approached this formula on good faith that The Ordinary meant a 25.1% total concentration.

Buffet is an impressive enough formula to recommend. It beautifully hydrates skin without a slick, greasy, or occlusive feel, and it layers perfectly with other products like moisturizer. We wish it had included more in the way of antioxidants, but that's forgivable given Buffet's price. Just be sure that at least one or more of the other products in your skincare routine are loaded with antioxidants.

PROS:
  • Good mix of many proven, intriguing ingredients to reduce signs of aging.
  • Inexpensive given the ingredients it contains.
  • Wonderful ability to hydrate without a slick, greasy, or occlusive feel.
  • Fragrance free.
CONS:
  • None

Wow @greeneyedgirl107 That's a great review.  I think I'll look at it again in a month, once my routine is more settled.  Thanks!

1 Reply
testing