Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

@greenchilli    I'm not sure but thought maybe you would like this blog post about "Does everyone really need a makeup line": https://sageslays.wordpress DOT com

Just thought I would share 🙂

@greenchilli    I can't reply directly but it also made me laugh. 😄 And yes they all look the same to me too. I agree that it's all too much and it almost takes the fun out of makeup you know.  I appreciate the artists that are more creative and think outside the box... even if a particular application doesn't appeal to me that much, I'd rather see that over a bunch of clones.

@veronika23

Thank you for sharing, it gave me a chuckle.

There isn't a single Influencer that could interest me in a makeup brand.  

This stood out to me.  

"An influencer with a great personality, lives in la, always wears neutral makeup, isn’t extremely artistic, but is really pretty and funny, and always seems to be “obsessed with” the same thing as everyone else. right now, it’s the jaclyn hill palette, and the KKW contour sticks. So they say they want to have a makeup line, or they do a collab. It always consists of a neutral palette, a light nude lipstick, and a golden highlighter."

In a sea of sameness - what really are these people offering?  Everyone on YouTube looks the same to me.

More undereye baking powder that makes one look a 100 yrs old, or a concealer 5 shades lighter to cover half your face in a thick layer, or the shimmery highlighter on the tip of the nose that automatically drops one's IQ by 50 points, or the nose contouring, or perhaps the faded brows, or contoured face that looks like war paint at first.  

Each of these was perhaps at one point adapted to different people selectively, done right, scaled back, or even was new.  Now it is just all too much.

@greenchilliI agree. I also don't think it's a fuss post. Totally get what you mean. I also never really got this whole guru thing... sure I might post about some of them from time to time because I know people here follow them and it is beauty news but most of the time I don't even know who they are... I just know the name in passing. I always loved BT for the real people and real answers/reviews we get here... Generally speaking I'm not going to buy something just because some guru said so or because it has his/her name on it.

no need to apologize ! i feel similarly. 

Is anyone else excited about Shark Week starting today?! I live for documentaries so this whole week is my jam!

So we're moving cross country and because I'm too lazy to try and search through threads to find the info, what can I do to help protect the makeup contents that will be going in 1 of two suitcases which will be checked baggage? The contents of our house are already in one of those POD containers at a climate controlled facility until August 1st when we take the computer and tvs down and have the thing sent on its journey to the new house.

I know to put things into Ziploc bags (probably going to double wrap too) but the last thing I need is for things to explode inside my suitcase-o-beauty-and-the-dog-necessities, and I'm pretty much assuming that the baggage handlers will be playing kickball with everyone's suitcases. Any other ideas to keep things relatively intact?

at Lowe's you can get a roll of Reflectix that is 2 feet wide and 25 feet long for about $25. This is basically some shiny, heat-repellent Bubble wrap. There are other sizes of rolls as well -- narrower, wider, longer etc.

You can cut pieces off of the roll to suit whatever size and shape you need. Lining a suitcase would take very little. And it works quite well to keep out heat, plus has all the protective cushioning of bubble wrap.

I was about to move cross-country with Pods as well, big relief we are staying...and anyway I was going to line our pod with this stuff because I didn't trust the company to really do climate control. I was also going to add some silica gel desiccant packs to the pod for moisture control. 

We already had bought some of this stuff and since I am staying put, I am now in the process of putting it to use as a sort of batting for true blackout curtain panels. More like, wide and thick fabric-covered vertical blinds. One layer drops the temperature at a window about 10 degrees. Adding layers increases the effect dramatically.

@GennX

Hahahaha how did you know he's my favorite Dr. Who? 😛

Some of my shadow palettes I've actually used painters tape to keep their lid closed and then foam wrapped and bagged, still not sure about what to do with the pencils, lippies, etc that are susceptible to melting issues. If I could somehow manage to get it all into one of the two checked bags (the other is entirely clothing - thank goodness it's a direct flight so there's less chance of luggage being lost with only one plane involved) and still have room for the dog stuff she'll need once we arrive at our destination....(sigh) I just hope she forgives me for stuffing her in a carrier and bringing her in cabin for the flight.

Bubble wrap and towels! I wouldn't be as concerned about things spilling/leaking (and your ziploc baggies will take care of that) as I would be about shattered powders and crushed bottles. My last moved, I wrapped everything in face towels, bath towels, bubble sheets then put everything into a carry-on suitcase for protection. I'm sure it was overkill, but everything survived!

I am bringing my dog in the cabin since we're flying instead of driving, so her airline approved carrier counts as one of my carry on items, my purse/shoulder bag will be the other. The mister has his laptop for one and his 2nd item has all his clothing/toiletries to save some cash on how many checked bags we have. Basically if it won't fit it the checked bags I have to pack it up and stick it someplace inside the POD with the hope that it doesn't explode/break/disintegrate/leak during the week in transit from California to our new home across the country. While I'm ok with putting certain items in the POD and just double bag them, that's not the case for everything. I have a bunch of still-factory-sealed bottles and tubes of stuff which are the most likely candidates for POD packing.

You have no idea how many things I've packed using towels as padding. Lol I have only used a few regular cardboard moving boxes, nearly the entire households-worth of belongings has been neatly packed into big plastic storage bins that we already had so many of. The mister now knows why I keep the boxes my computer, printer, and tvs came in, packing material included - those are the best boxes to pack them into and don't cost anything additional!

Oh my gosh I've been so busy I missed this revamp of BT, the site is so different! It's going to take some getting used to. what and upgrade!

I feel like there's probably a better thread to post this in but I can't think which, so in it goes! I went to Comic-Con yesterday and had to leave my house around 4:45 am to head down to San Diego which meant I put my makeup on at an ungodly 4am. I definitely needed products that wouldn't fade. I don't mind touching up basic face stuff but I wasn't going to carry a shadow palette and brushes with me all day. I used the Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Color Paint Shadow and when I got back to LA around 11pm it hadn't faded, creased or worn off. That stuff is magic. I think it's a pain in the butt to blend out but once you fight through that for a couple minutes you have an eye look that will last you a hot, sweaty 19 hour day.

I'd also like to pat myself on the back for somehow summoning the strength to actually take off my makeup when I got home last night. Because my body was saying no but my heart was saying yes.

@starsandbucks   oh lucky girl!!! That's impressive! Did you have fun? Did you get anything? I'm so hoping that some of the Tokidoki Mermicorno stuff is sold outside SDCC. 😄

@starsandbucksWow!   Sounds like an awesome, but busy, day!  I'm so happy you found the perfect, non-fade makeup! ❤️

Sephora studios

IMG_1676.JPGIMG_1640.JPGIMG_1651.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1638.JPGIMG_1643.JPG

Beautiful @meganlisa! Your eyes just pop so much in this picture. 🙂

Wow! MeganLisa, your whole look is stunning! Love your hair, cute earrings, your eyes are gorgeous and want those lips. You can always practice on me.

@Girly2Shoes I didn't do this makeup.  The Sephora pro did.  Great choices aren't they?  It was a super fun experience!

@meganlisa You look so beautiful! ❤️

testing