Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I love using my Mara Hoffman/Sephora Collection brushes more than ever after reading about her fashion show at New York Fashion Week last week. The chairs of the Women's March gave the opening remarks!

Off to see what's left of the Mara Hoffman collection at Sephora...

For the first time in months, the weather has been beautiful and sunny. I feel like spring/summer are right around the corner, and all I wanna do is buy makeup in preparation for the summer months. More bronzers, lightweight foundations, soft blushes. Does anyone else go through this when the seasons change?

I did something similar before fall/winter and bought a bunch of dark lipsticks.

I live in south TX, so we pretty much just have one season:  Hot!!! โ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธ

The funniest thing is how when it hits 50 out, people bundle up in parkas and hats - no joke!  And businesses/stores blast the heat!  It's crazy!

I'm originally from Florida and need a sweater when it's below 60. I live in Indiana now and don't feel the need to bundle up unless it's below 40.

I live just north of @Tamara76 and confirming her comments.

I'll also add that when you're used to 105+ degrees from May-September, 50 degrees is really cold. It's almost like a drop from 85 degrees to 30 degrees for everyone else!

Our days are hot and nights are cold lately too >.< it's too hot for sweater when I go into work but need one when I get out!

True!  ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Tamara76 I am so guilty of this๐Ÿ˜‚

LOL!  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚  That's o.k.  

I moved here from a pretty cold climate so 50 feels great to me!  I walk in to work in short sleeved blouses and dresses and men have stopped me in the parking garage to offer me their jackets (super sweet, but I politely decline).

@StephaniLynn 

I don't feel the urge to buy makeup for summer, but that is because I'm more into skincare right now than makeup. I probably DO need to prep for controlling oil and sweating though haha. I always get in such a better mood when it's nice and sunny out though ๐Ÿ™‚

I feel the same way, it's been in the 60's here lately (unheard of for Feb in PA) and I'm itching to unpack my shorts and summer T-shirts. But I know, come March, I'm going to be shoveling snow again....

The Cover FX enhancer drops in Halo and Rose Gold are calling me, they would look so nice for spring.

Everyone go google this article from the BBC: "The man who dresses up as his ancestors."

He does a great job!

ancestor1

ancestor2

This is awesome!

I love this!

I would like input/thoughts/opinions on a situation that I'm on the fence about. Here it goes. 

There is a guy I went to high school with, he was a year or 2 behind me. Recently got wayyy into makeup and beauty. He's self taught and does quite a good job.

In the last few weeks he's started doing people makeup for outings and events (prom/pictures/parties/dates). His fee is $50 + $5 for lashes but you provide foundation, concealer, liner, and mascara. 

Some of this irks me.

1. He only provides about half of the products. The ones he does provide are drugstore/affordable indie brands like Colourpop, Morphe, ect.

2. He charges nearly what a certified mua charges(mua would provide all products)

3. Once he goes to school and gets certified he's planning on doubling his fee for the same exact service/products provided.

4. A few clients asked if he could lower the service fee and he got snarky and asked them how else he could afford to pay for products. 

I'm all for supporting someones passion. I understand school/products aren't the cheapest but 1 client should not over the costs of the majority of your products used. I know you pay for their time as well but still. I think his fees should be a little lower until he's certified. Am I wrong? 

Disclaimer: I'm so proud of him and he does do a great job!

If he were having his clients bring their own make up, to show them what they can do with what they have, that would be understandable. Doesn't sound like that is the case. With his attitude he won't be seeing much action from photography clients. 

Soo wait..When he gets certified he will still have the client provide foundation, concealer, liner and mascara? I can kinda understand why he has people bring their own of those specific things, as having a whole range of colors is expensive etc, especially if he's just starting out. However, if I were to get my makeup done for $100 and still have to provide my own products I'd go someplace else. What about people who don't have those things? Some people only get their makeup done for special occasions and don't even own makeup. So the cost of getting it done by this guy will add up to even more.

Basically, he can get away with charging whatever he wants as long as people are willing to pay (and your state doesn't have a law about needing a license to do makeup). I'd stay out of the dramaโ€”let him and his clients hash out pricingโ€”unless you have a really good friend who wants their makeup done by him. Then I'd tell the friend you can get your makeup done for free or a minimal charge at department stores and Sephora, and you don't have to BYO foundation.

This was a painting project featured in this issue of This Old House. I think if I lived within this striped motif that I'd be buying more stuff at Sephora for some odd reason! ๐Ÿ˜‰

sephora-home.jpg

Haha ๐Ÿ™‚ I was looking at bedroom re-do's on pinterest earlier and saw some "sephora striped" ones and thought oooh that looks familiar, then made the connection!

Hahahaha, wow!  That is dedication to the striped motif... ๐Ÿ˜‰

ETA: can you imagine being invited over and trying not to laugh the whole time!  ๐Ÿ˜‚

testing