Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I have to share this little off topic story, if you don't mind.

My daughter is a high functioning special needs young adult.  A couple of years ago, her best friend insisted that we watch 'Bob's Burgers' together and said that our daughter resembled Tina Belcher.

Well...we watched...and got really freaked out.  It was as though the show's writers were looking in our window and taking notes!  We were watching our daughter in cartoon form.  The hairstyle, the glasses, the mannerisms, the voice..uncanny and honestly, a bit scary.

Oh, and our daughter's name?  Christina.  Tina, for short.

I can't post gifs and it's hurting my soul!  ❤️ all of these!

I'm on my iPad so I can't either but I just want to say that I love and appreciate all of these! Amazing! 

I just tried a sample of Nars All Day Luminious in Fiji. I think it's too yellow for me, but I was really just testing the finish and wear. I love the finish in most places but it makes me look like I have dry patches in other places. Bah!

sometimes i think this is the best foundation i've ever used and sometimes i think it's a hot mess. usually it is entirely dependent on my skin condition (if my skin is dehydrated, noooopppppe). the key to it is definitely thin layers.

@jemly It's mostly creasing over my undereye concealer and on a dry patch mid-cheek (what was left of mysterious red bumps that never became a pimple, I'm guessing it was a reaction to something I was testing)--from 5 feet away it looks great but I can definitely see them in the mirror, and that bothers me. I do love the finish though. ~9 hours later and I'm not oily BUT I have been sitting on my butt on the couch all day 😄

My new vanity is out for delivery 3 days early, and I haven't been able to stop refreshing the tracking page all day :x.

JUST GET HERE ALREADY

I want to try the bareminerals Gen Nude Matte formula!

OMG you should! They smell like chocolate yummm

I saw these in person, and the colors are gorgeous. A friend bought a few of them, and said she likes them as much as the Kat Von D ones. 🙂

Whoa! I've never tried the KVD because of how dry everyone says it makes their lips, but I really need to see these mattes in person. ^ ^ I'm thinking I'll end up with a couple for sure. Lol

@36524 If you apply lip balm before your liquid lipstick, it will take a little longer to dry but keep the liquid lipstick very comfortable and wondering through out the day.

Ohh, I didn't know it would dry down at all with lip balm underneath!

Abdul Sattar Edhi , A true legend has left us 😢 A life well spent, A memory well cherished, A cause well served. Many of you might not know who he is but you will fall in love with him if you take a moment to look into his life. 

image.jpeg

Inna lillah e wa inna ilehi rajion

❤️ Thank you for posting this fatimamummy. He truly was an amazing soul. 

I really appreciate MAC customer service. I have two saved addresses on their site (one is my home one and the other is my collage one), and about a month ago placed an order for a sale blush while the web site was acting a bit glitchy. It ended up getting sent to my college address instead of my home, and I am home for summer and could not easily get to my college due to distance. In addition to that, my college packaging center only holds items for two weeks before sending it back. I called CS and they were wonderful about agreeing to send me a new one and to wait for my school to send the other one back.

Are there any brands you won't purchase for ethical or otherwise personal reasons? 

I'm having an embarrassing crisis. Chanel glossimers are my favorite lip gloss. I love the texture, the opacity or lack thereof (not comfortable with hyper pigmented lips, I think I look ridiculous), and lack of scent or flavor. I've been doing a lot of reading about Coco Chanel lately and I just... I feel ashamed for having Chanel products. It's not about anyone's perception of me but rather just feeling disgusted with myself (in the past I've collected glossimers and liked to display them). 

I don't know. This random thought has several parts. Are there brands you like but feel bad about it? Do you think we have a responsibility to not add to the piggy banks of those who benefited from or directly contributed to  genocide?

And can anyone please recommend similar lip glosses? Heh. 

On a very different level than Coco Chanel, the most common discussion of  this sort of thing on BT is probably about Jeffree Star, and whether people are willing to buy his products in spite of his bad behavior. Where I personally draw this line is, is the objectionable behavior related to the product/company, or is it something in the person's private life? In other words, will my money act as a reinforcement of the behavior I'm objecting to?

For example, if a company uses terrible ads (eg Axe), and I buy their products even though I object to the ads, the signal I'm sending to the company is that their ads work, and they will do more of them. On the other hand, if the founder or CEO just happens to be an in their own private life, even if it's in relation to a publicly controversial issue, my sales don't reinforce that behavior, and even a boycott won't have the effect of reducing the behavior (there's a chance it might result in that person not being CEO anymore, but they probably won't get any nicer). I feel similarly about avoiding products based on past issues vs. ongoing ones - I'm not going to draw the line there unless I believe it might happen again.

If it helps, I think Chanel is actually owned by a Jewish family now. In my mind that mitigates some of the association with what a horrible person Coco Chanel may have been. 

Herbivore. I loved, loved, loved their facial spray and oils and have repurchased several times through Sephora and Etsy. Yesterday, the founder chose to post a comment on the brand's Facebook page that contained anti-law enforcement rhetoric.

I commented on the post to express my thoughts as a frequent customer and the wife of a law enforcement officer, and my comment was immediately deleted.  I have since sent a screenshot of the original post to Sephora questioning their association with the company and a call to boycott is spreading through every law enforcement support group that I'm part of. So much nope for me. Every single product I had went directly in the trash.

testing