Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

How exciting! I can't wait to see what you are getting. Congrats! 😊

@Blackwhiskey,  and @sabrinas

When?  When?  When?

What? What?  What?  

Why aren't you telling us now?  Smiley Happy

To be honest I feel like I may not be allowed to? Im not sure! I wasnt told to not say anything though haha so...

I was picked to get a free lip kit from pat mcgrath Smiley Happy @tsavorite

@sabrinas,  Thank you!

I think that it is okay to talk about this.  I believe that you get the free Pat McGrath Lip Kit in order to try it out, spread the word, and increase the excitement for the product.  Congratulations on your free gift!  Smiley Happy

I agree with @tsavorite, @sabrinas . I believe the letter that arrives with the product actually asks you to try the product and give an honest review. I've personally never been chosen (do know people that have been) so if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me!Smiley Happy

@NancieNano - you got it right Smiley Happy. If I remember correctly it also asks for you to talk on BT about it as well always disclosing that you received it for free as a sample.

I was also super happy yesterday as well with news I received!! I'm so excited Smiley Happy congrats ladies - this is going to be so awesome!!

Wink wink ,,, I like your new Avatar @Blackwhiskey It is a stunning smokey eye look 😍

Thank you! I used colors from the serpentina palette! ^^

I think we may have gotten the same information and I'm also very excited LOL 

@Blackwhiskey@sabrinas, your posts have me very curious and got my mind off the lipstick I came and posted about. Smiley Happy

g48oG0d.jpg

teehehehehehehe Smiley Very Happy

lol you guys 

Are there any brands you won't purchase for ethical or otherwise personal reasons? 

I'm having an embarrassing crisis. Chanel glossimers are my favorite lip gloss. I love the texture, the opacity or lack thereof (not comfortable with hyper pigmented lips, I think I look ridiculous), and lack of scent or flavor. I've been doing a lot of reading about Coco Chanel lately and I just... I feel ashamed for having Chanel products. It's not about anyone's perception of me but rather just feeling disgusted with myself (in the past I've collected glossimers and liked to display them). 

I don't know. This random thought has several parts. Are there brands you like but feel bad about it? Do you think we have a responsibility to not add to the piggy banks of those who benefited from or directly contributed to  genocide?

And can anyone please recommend similar lip glosses? Heh. 

On a very different level than Coco Chanel, the most common discussion of  this sort of thing on BT is probably about Jeffree Star, and whether people are willing to buy his products in spite of his bad behavior. Where I personally draw this line is, is the objectionable behavior related to the product/company, or is it something in the person's private life? In other words, will my money act as a reinforcement of the behavior I'm objecting to?

For example, if a company uses terrible ads (eg Axe), and I buy their products even though I object to the ads, the signal I'm sending to the company is that their ads work, and they will do more of them. On the other hand, if the founder or CEO just happens to be an in their own private life, even if it's in relation to a publicly controversial issue, my sales don't reinforce that behavior, and even a boycott won't have the effect of reducing the behavior (there's a chance it might result in that person not being CEO anymore, but they probably won't get any nicer). I feel similarly about avoiding products based on past issues vs. ongoing ones - I'm not going to draw the line there unless I believe it might happen again.

If it helps, I think Chanel is actually owned by a Jewish family now. In my mind that mitigates some of the association with what a horrible person Coco Chanel may have been. 

Herbivore. I loved, loved, loved their facial spray and oils and have repurchased several times through Sephora and Etsy. Yesterday, the founder chose to post a comment on the brand's Facebook page that contained anti-law enforcement rhetoric.

I commented on the post to express my thoughts as a frequent customer and the wife of a law enforcement officer, and my comment was immediately deleted.  I have since sent a screenshot of the original post to Sephora questioning their association with the company and a call to boycott is spreading through every law enforcement support group that I'm part of. So much nope for me. Every single product I had went directly in the trash.

@jadeann I'm going to leave a link to an article which articulately explains why people become frustrated when all lives matter is used as a response to the black lives matter movement. I'm not going to debate you on this topic (or try to change your mind) since this is your opinion and a beauty forum is not the place discuss politics but I urge you to read the five paragraphs quoted in there. I hope you (and those reading this) have a wonderful weekend. <3

I went to check now and only see a statement supporting Black Life Matters and a link to a Washington Post article. Was there something else? I wonder what i missed Smiley Surprised

My apologies, I should have been more clear - the original post is not what I took offense to. There was a comment by another user, which has since been deleted by Herbivore, that simply stated that ALL lives matter and expressed her disappointment that there was no support for law enforcement mentioned. Herbivore replied to her opinion and stated that "all lives matter" is incorrect. 

I fully understand that supporting BLM and supporting law enforcement are not mutually exclusive ideas. My issue is that every comment showing support for law enforcement - including my own - was deleted, while others who are supportive of Herbivore's views are allowed to remain.