Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

Have you guys read/seen this video on "How not to waste money on makeup" by Good Morning America. Apparently, "according to a 2013 study by the financial service Mint, in the average American woman’s lifetime, she spends $1,780 on lipstick, $2,750 on eye shadow and $3,770 on mascara! "

A Lifetime?? Errrr, yes ladies we are NOT average by any means. Look at us outliers go! 

The video that made me roll my eyes and clutch onto my precious stash protectively (as a makeup/skincare addict) is here: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/not-waste-money-makeup-121805838--abc-news-fashion-and-beauty.html

Anonymous Insider

Actually this doesn't surprise me. If you say the average lisptick is $20, that would make almost 90 lipsticks for a lifetime. If you think that average person must buy some drugstore lipsticks or things on sale etc. that number would stretch to 120-150 lipsticks. 

For the average person that's a lot of lipsticks. I'm guessing most people have less than 20 lipsticks unless ypu are really into makeup and active in makeup community. I have no friends with more than 10...

I was more surprised about the total number of beauty products mentioned. I feel like 75 is barely enough to cover all bases. 

Yeah, and I bet the number varies in part because people have different ideas of what counts as a "beauty product." Obviously I have more than 75 of whatever the category is (doh), but for an average or minimalist person, you'd get wildly different answers depending on whether they were counting just makeup, or also skincare, or also hair products, body wash/lotion, etc.

Oh man... Another favorite quote from the article: "Next question. I ask women on the street how many beauty products they own “25,” “45,” “50,” with one woman confessing to makeup hoarding with 75 products in her bathroom cabinet."

75 is hoarding? Well $@$^#.

That is almost precisely the number of pencil eyeliners that I have, FS and DS, sooo... (and yes, PENCIL eyeliners. Liquid/cream eyeliners is a whole other category in my spreadsheet...)

Yeah that one got me too! 75 is hoarding?? I just got into makeup last year and I'm probably already there! I'lol stay here, much better than the real world where people don't seem to understand the huge difference between all the pink highlighters...I need them all 😄

I feel ya... I'm at about 115 lip products alone. I wonder how those figures would be different if they surveyed active BTers and bloggers.

Lol I wish I only spent that much in a lifetime. At those rates, my lifetime would be less than a year...Plus the amount on mascara can be allocated elsewhere since I have so many samples to last forever. 

Yes, I'd put my lifetime to two years with that. I was looking at those samples vs $100 the reporter was handing out and thinking that my choice would really depend on the samples being offered and if they aren't worth the $100 I would use that to buy the new Becca palette and a YSL lippie. Sometimes I hate that I'm such a consumer. 

I went to Sephora today, and the Dior lipstick I have been wanting was in stock! Also, I was offered three samples at checkout without asking.....

zLSxEHUzeOHZu.gif

@angel7594 Yay! I love seeing gifs in threads- they make me chuckle as I can actually imagine myself reacting the same way in real life. Sort of like a crazy Ally McBeal episode where pop culture/fantasy meets reality.  I salute you!

giphy4.gif

@1tinybubble, thanks, I love it when other people share gifs too!! 😊

Time to buy a lottery ticket!

Lol, I will do that!!

Perhaps not so beauty related..

I'm currently at 417 hearts (I know compared to some that is not a lot) but when I first joined BT I didn't think I'll get any hearts.. To me that's a lot! BT has been my new addiction, it's the first thing I check in the morning lol

Thanks ladies!

Here you go, another ❤️😊

@DandyLionFluff Thank you!

Woot! Here's to you reaching 500+! 

Thanks!

Thanks!

I did my own heart party when I reached my first 100 😉

I saw them increasing but now I'm so close to 500 I'm like yay! 🎉🎊

1 Reply
testing