Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

I've only been using this stuff for a week (BHA 9 for two nights), but I think it has. They're still there, but not as obvious, and on me they look really white when they're newly formed because I'm a tan olive skintone.

I ordered some of the Mermaid collection from Jouer today.  It was crazy, so laggy and messed up.  Error messages everywhere.  I didn't care because it was a random order while I'm sitting here at work, but wow that was crazy.

Then when I finally went to check out I put in a 15% off code.  The page took forever to load so while waiting scrolling instagram I found out about a 25% off code..I tried to put that in, and an error pops up saying you can't use two codes at once which I expected.  I wanted to get rid of the other one but this laggy website wouldn't let me and it applied both together.  To be honest, I feel bad because 40% was not my intention and I don't like to take advantage of a messed up website, but honestly I couldn't get rid of either one at that point!!  

In the end, I guess I did pretty well for an impulse buy!

lost 12 pounds since the last time i got weighed a couple months ago. Happy! 😄😄😄

Nice!!! high five.jpg

Oh Congrat! I need to work mine off as well 😉

The funny thing is is that the doctor doesnt know how i lost it. Especially since i just had my birthday and smell like cake.

Anonymous Insider

The more important thing is that you know how you lost the weight, right?

Yeah, except i dont.

I keep scrolling past the topic about "Mirana UD" and my brain reads "Mirena IUD" and I have to do a double-take...

Same... Especially since I'm a high school Health teacher and we literally talked about contraception yesterday. 

I would really love an objective opinion, because my mother and my husband are both saying this is a bad idea... Sooo I've been thinking about cutting my own hair.

Spoiler

I know the initial reaction might be like why not just pay someone to do it. Well, most of you know by now of my gluten intolerance and how I can only use certain hair products. So if I go into a salon, I have to explain the whole thing and ask the person to wash their hands before touching me...which makes me embarrassed and it's very awkward. But I don't want my head to break out in hives from product residue on someone's hands, which is actually what can and will happen if I get products on me that are not gluten free.

The girl I have been going to the last few years refuses now to even wash my hair anymore even if I bring my own shampoo (because she said she was afraid of me having an allergic reaction, I kinda get it). So the last time I went to her, she tried to do a dry cut without wetting it or it being straightened...yea my hair is wavy and kinky. So after I got home and straightened it, it was a hacked up mess and I went back and asked her to fix it. I don't know if she was irritated with how high maintenance I've become or if her personal life was affecting her work, but I feel very hesitant to go back.

I'm anxious about going back to my old hairdresser and anxious about seeing someone new. My hair is well onto my bum at this point and it's not extremely thick anymore. I just feel like if I'm only trying to take a little off the bottom I couldn't possibly do a worse job that some haircuts I've paid upwards of $80 for in the past. I can screw up my hair for free! haha. Worst case scenario: It's crooked and I have to explain myself to someone then pay to get it fixed...right?

(sorry this is so long)

I have pretty long hair and have cut it quite a few times. I got brainwashed watching you tube Lol So I went for it and was pretty happy because long layered hair seems to hide your mistakes 😉 plus at times I haven't had the best haircuts and get ticked that I spent so much to get what I didn't want ...so I finally did it myself and I only have myself to blame 😉 I actually have liked it every time and I always cut and trim my own bangs and watching tons of YouTube videos helps boost confidence 😉 I recently dyed it myself too and love it 🙂

I've been cutting my own hair for years. I recently gave myself a cute graduated bob that's super short in back. I have very curly hair, though, so it's quite forgiving. The trick is to use mirrors to keep checking how even it is, and to only cut a little at a time.  It's also helpful to invest in an electric trimmer if you want to do some layering. 

Update:  So today I tried a wet cut and just took about an inch off the bottom. My first lesson is that drying my hair and straightening it first is the way to go. Doing this wet was just too difficult especially with it being so long. My mother is supposed to help me color this weekend, so I will revisit this in a few days. I feel confident that with more practice and trial and error I can get a groove with it....we'll see.

Thank you all for the support and input!

With apologies to any hairstylists on this site, I think you probably could do this yourself. I'm sure there are YouTube tutorials to guide you and, you're right, at worst you do a bad job and pay someone to fix it. The good thing is you have lots of length on your side so you have some wiggle room. 

Anonymous Insider

I have been cutting my own hair for about 3 years now...It is a little ironic, because I am getting a haircut at a salon tomorrow 😛  I never did a terrible job, but I think having curly hair helps hiding small mistakes.

If you just want to trim the ends to keep the length (like I do), I'd say go for it. I would not do anything drastic with it. I agree with the strategy JazaChai suggested below. Bring your hair to the front in pieces and consantly compare both sides as you go. I also flip my hair to the front and measure/trim the ends at the end. 

If your hair is long enough that you can bring it front of your face to look at it, and you're comfortable with doing it and the possibility of sub-optimal results, I say go for it. I trim my bangs every haircut (I'm too lazy to go back in for a maintenance trim even though it'd be free), and it's not hard at all, so if all you're doing is trimming length, that's hard to screw up.

I also have a friend who has never had anyone but her mom or herself cut her hair, and it looks fine. You would never think she cuts it herself unless she told you. She has experience doing it at this point, of course, but the key parts are 1) it's long enough she can bring it over her shoulder to look at it, and 2) she's not trying to do anything fancy like layers, she just trims it.

I will say, this is complicated by the fact that you have curly hair, but if you've seen how your hairdresser does it you can just try to imitate that. That's how I learned how to trim my bangs the way I like.

I gave myself bangs when I was 19, and I think I did a good job. I probably wouldn't attempt to cut it if it wasn't so long. I can almost sit on it. I just want to take off a little off the bottom evenly without any layering or anything. I was going to try a wet cut and see how things go. My hair dresser would normally have me stand up and cut straight across then bring it around to the front over my shoulders to check both sides were the same. I think maybe with some practice I would get a feel for what works. I was thinking if I comb it out wet and straight, then I could put my arms behind my back and put my fingers across where I want to cut then just bring it underneath my armpit to snip.

If you are not doing anything fancy  to your hair other than cutting it, why can't your mother or husband or even a trusted friend help you? As long as you don't get mad at anyone if your hair is a little lopsided, I say try it.

I don't really have any friends that could help. My husband has been very blunt about refusing to do it. Which is okay because I know he really isn't good at those kinds of things. (he cuts his own toenails crooked...) My mother colors my hair. I may ask for a little help from her with any evening out I may need. She scares me a little though, because she doesn't really like my hair as long as I keep it and I don't want her to get all scissor happy on me.

Does anyone else run out of conditioner faster than shampoo? -__-

testing