Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

This is the fifth week on my new job. I've been so much happier and far less stressed. Yesterday it occurred to me that I haven't taken the job home with me either. Sleeping better, eating better...makes me feel beautiful!

Glad to hear!  

Yay! That's awesome. Very happy for you 🙂

Super happy for you!:) 
It's great when you find a job you like!

somehow reading that makes me feel really happy for you! i can totally relate - work satisfaction (or the lack thereof) can really affect our lives. Glad to hear that you are feeling happy and peaceful. take care!

Thank you so much for the sweet words! I really appreciate it!

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just need to talk to someone about Kylie Cosmetics. Mostly a review/rant in the spoilers since I know some people don't care for the family and probability don't want to read it.

I've learned my lesson, stick with established brands!

Ordering/Shipping/Delivery

Spoiler
I ordered on May 9 and it came May 16. I live in Canada, and expected it to come at the end of the month, but it was fast IMO. Tracking was working perfectly via USPS and CP.

The website wasn't crashing or anything, in fact I think it took 45 minutes to sell out. I took 35 minutes to make up my mind, so I really wasn't in a panic.

Got the order confirmation right away, and shipping confirmation May 10.

With shipping, total was $43.95 USD, and approx $58 CAD. I'm pretty upset with the final price I paid, but it could have been worse.

When it arrived on May 16, I was expecting to pay extra fees such as customs and taxes. NOPE, CP didn't charge me anything! I was shocked, and I realized why because the company lied about the value of the parcel. They put $1 USD, which is incorrect. So I guess it wasn't worth the customs and taxes...

Review

Spoiler
So disappointed. I don't care for lip liners right now, but I was expecting this one to be good since people said it was creamy. Felt like my Covergirl one. Pass on the lip liner.

The liquid lipstick is strange. On my hand, it's a thinner KVD, which I had high hopes for since I love KVD. KVD feels like nothing on my lips, but it does get a little drying. On the other hand, Stila is a little too creamy and moussey for me, but it is more comfortable on the lips compared to KVD.

So, it's on the thinner side and I got the "new" batch after it was reformulated. So dry! I have a high tolerance for dry cracked lips, but this was unbearable. Granted, my lips weren't in perfect condition, but you'll see in the photos the complete difference compared to KVD Bow n Arrow.

A YTer did say that the new formula is close to Colourpop's Ultra Matte line, which means I'm never going to be buying from Colourpop. If they're the same formula, then it's a no-no for me.

Here are the pictures. My lips were a bit dry and flaky, but you can see which formula emphasized what. KVD is my holy grail formula, so that's what I compare everything to.

KVD (Bow n Arrow)
BNA-1.jpg

Kylie Cosmetics (Candy K)
Candy-K3.jpg

Candy K looks horrible on my lips. It emphasized everything. Bow n Arrow makes my lips look like my lips. I do have lots of lines on my lips, but with KVD you wouldn't think so.

I'm going to try Candy K again since I'm stuck with it. I might have to wear a balm underneath it, or really prep my lips (which I never have to do).

If you read everything, thanks for letting me ramble!

I don't know what restock mine was, but it was the May 9th restock. And this is after she supposedly reformulated. If you search up Stephanie Nicole on Youtube, she gives the rundown of the formulas and everything.

It could be the batch, or just different perceptions. I will play with it some more to see how it works!

@Melissa136 Thank you for the honest review! 

My daughter is dying for a Kylie lip kit - only 1 girl in her whole school has one, so she wants it as a status symbol...

She hates the KVD Liquid Lippies, though, so I really think she will be unhappy with the Kylie lip kit and I am not interested in trying to stalk the re-stocks...

I am going to try to get her to read your review...

@Tamara76 You're welcome! And don't feel obligated to read, it's there if you want to 😉

TBH, I got the lip kit for the hype and it was an impulse buy since I happened to access the website during a restock. She's restocking sometime tomorrow if that helps!

They definitely remind of a thinner KVD, it's not creamy/moussey and nor is it watery. It's a nice in between just like the KVD. I can't say how she'll react to these because everyone has different preferences, but it doesn't hurt to try. If you can catch a restock, it would be a good chance for her to try, but don't actively search them out. No product is worth that unless it's a quality item.

Thanks again!  This is great info! 🙂

I meant to say I would try to get my daughter to read your review (just edited my post) - I read it and it was super helpful!

So last night while checking Instagram I popped over to "suggested" based on who I follow. And what do I see in the sea of pictures? The wonderfully familiar lip swatches of the talented @Mochapj. I recognized her lips because of the two moles she has above. (I always though those were cute). And  I got excited that she was a suggestion. I already follow a few BT ladies but its so cool to find you guys on Insta. So right after I followed Mocha, you know who pops up as the "you may also like?" More BT gals! YAY! So ladies if you got a follow request from a "sona" its me. 

That moment when a very drunk friend asks to borrow a lipstick for a night out, and drunk you has to pretend you're looking for the best color for her, and not just the cheapest one that will be the least missed, while still looking good on her.

I've been wanting to change my Avatar for weeks, finally got around to it. Love Pyewacket ❤️ 😄

Not beauty related but I am in LOVE with Justin Timberlake's new song:

CAN'T STOP THE FEELINGGGGG!!!!!!!!

I made the mistake of popping into my SiJCP to swatch the Lancôme Juicy Shakers. Now I need them all:(

MELIMELON!!!! It smells like watermelon 😄

They're so much fun!

Whoa, Beautypedia Experts on Paula's Choice hate a lot of very popular products . . . I don't know who these "experts" are. Almost all La Prairie products are a 1 or 2-star rating. It's all quite interesting . . .

Yeah the reviews there are informative, but you can't take the star ratings at face value. Stars are deducted if a product has added fragrance, common irritants, jar/unstable packaging, is overpriced compared to its competition and/or promises, OR if it promises things that it fails to provide (like if a moisturizer claims to erase wrinkles it would be called out for that nonsense even if it's a great daily moisturizer). It's not that the reviews are biased, it's that their reviewing system doesn't always line up perfectly with what I want in a product (or what you want!). If you don't mind fragrance, or do not have sensitive skin, then something they review at a 3 might be a 4-5 for you personally.

I've also seen things marked down for other weird reasons. Once I found a review of a foundation that was rated low because the paler shades all ran extra pink. I literally shouted at my computer, "BUT PAULA, GIRL, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I NEED! THAT SHOULD BE FIVE STARS!"

TL;DR:
Beautypedia is a great resource to have in your toolbox, but it shouldn't be the only resource.

I believe their is a previous thread that talks about paulas choice products and her beautypedia. 

testing