Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

@Libellules Oh no, no, the yikes wasn't for what you said, it was for the reaction from some of the other people commenting, including Jeffree Star (full disclosure - I have a completely irrational dislike of him and his products). 

You'd think it would be good customer service for her to acknowledge the issues and say that she appreciates the feedback and she's exploring other ways of doing this in the future, blah blah whatever. Even if she didn't actually mean it, just saying *something* would have been nice. 

I have no dog in this fight - those highlighters are not my jam. However, if you are going to promote something so heavily and have a picture of a makeup celebrity wearing it, then make enough to satisfy a reasonable amount of the demand you're going to have. I mean, it's not like it was a surprise to her that she couldn't make 50,000 or whatever of those.

I'm just certain there are better ways of launching a product.

@JenniferOhJenny It sounds like you are not the only one! I tend to not discriminate that much, but obviously at this point - Jeffree Star will never get any of my dollars again :P.

Absolutely! That's what a good business person would do! Acknowledging people offering ideas when it is so clear you don't know what you are doing is just common courtesy, whether you intend to listen or not.

Yea, I mean - I saw someone else was like "so you expect her to make highlighters nonstop to meet demand?" No. I expect holding off on a restock until you have a reasonable amount of product (say 5-10% of your followers). And even really if you "didn't know" this one time, then you should at least acknowledge your process needs improvement instead of saying you're just going to maintain the status quo!

I don't think that was b1tchy of you... If she just got taken by surprise with this release, okay I guess... But to basically say you are going to continue doing the same (very low production run)  and then heavily promote seems obnoxious

@kethry70 YES to the obnoxious!

I have no idea who or what this is, but from your summary of the situation, I don't think you were out of line. It's giving me Lime Crime vibes to be honest. There is nothing wrong with giving honest, and non malicious feedback. You shouldn't be attack for it. This is something I can't stand about social media. People are so quick and gang up on someone. It's that mob mentality.

@candyrivera as it is my description of events, I'm sure that it is at least partially biased in my favor :P.

I didn't THINK it was too malicious, but I am definitely le tired, so who knows. 

didn't she mention though that she didn't expect this to be blown out so much? not a lot of indie brand makeup get blown out, granted not everyone is making a highlighter like this, very unique highlighter might i add.. and since highlighting is on trend it's not surprising it sold out fast and that the owner didn't know to expect that. because when it comes to a business, it's always a risk, i believe, so you could either sink or rise. 

that being said, there's no reason for people to be name calling you. people are just looking for a reason to fight and the important thing to do is to not pay them any mind. 

If she "had no idea," that's bollocks. She had at least 60k followers when she announced she'd do a restock and had already been publicized by refinery29 and buzzfeed at that point. So she knowingly only made 500 units for 60k plus people and continued to hype it up knowing there was nothing close to not waste a lot of people's time and piss them off. I'm all for a crazy "this is only in stock for 5 minutes" kind of restock. But 20 seconds? And you just want to continue to do that? Nah, I'm good. There are other indie brands making similar highlighters. I'll just go for one of those, or wait for a better one to come out, because you know they will :x. I really am indifferent to people calling me whatever it is that they are calling me. Only thing is that I wish IG wasn't giving me an error when I'm trying to respond to anyone, especially Jeffree Star. Because that's giving them more fodder. Oh well. 

Oh i see, well I was thinking that this highlighter is actually pretty dupable, just buy shimmery singles you can usually find them at sallys for a dollar each and less if you have a coupon and mash them together in a pan and voila. to be honest i don't think the highlighter is practical, even though it is visually pretty, it's really accenting the pores, boo boo ain't down for that. you'd have to do specific looks because i've seen pictures and it only looks good if you see  the cheek down with a good lippie . actually i'm going to try to find some eyeshadows from my collection cause i'm sure i have all of those shades lol and do a look tonight, i was too lazy but now i feel like doing something.

i believe NARS tinted moisturizer is just about as perfect a product can get. but good lord do i wish they'd put one out with a shade closer to siberia / chantilly. i wonder why they do this. i remember once seeing an article where a NARS makeup artist said if you were in the siberia / chantilly shade range, to just wear concealer and powder rather than any of the tinted moisturizers. it felt like such a cop out -- i don't want to wear concealer and powder, i want the dewy majesty that is NARS tinted moisturizer !!!!

(to be clear....i can get away with finland and terre neuve, but i'm just aware it's not quite right which drives me nuts)

I got the NYX white foundation mixer specifically to use with the Nars tinted moisturizer. Unfortunately it changed the consistency  😞

I'm going to try the Body Shop white drops next. I will let you know how they turn out. It's such a perfect finish, but I'm really tired of being self conscious about it. 

@jemly - I understand exactly what you're talking about!  I used to joke that I should wear my concealer as my foundation.  It matched better than any and every foundation I tried.  It was years before I was matched to what I'm wearing now.  It's a great match too.

I looked at the Color IQ for Siberia (for the foundation) and it's even lighter than mine.  It's unfortunate that cosmetics companies don't want to recognize that those of us who are very pale as well as those who are very dark are just as eager to spend our money too.

I saw this in my Ulta app, and it amused me a lot more than it should have. I'm almost there, guys! Almost!!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

There is an even funnier thing when you get Sephora email close to the end of year telling you need to spend  - $xxxx to qualify Rouge for next year 😄

maxresdefault.jpg

This beautiful man will be in front of my face tonight. I'm going to see him tonight for his Stripped tour. ❤️ I wonder what makeup I'm going to concoct for this special event. 

How exciting!!!! @Blackwhiskey btw I pm'd you 😊

@Blackwhiskey - Color me stupid (or out of touch)...Who is that?

Peter murphy

Yes, unfortunately that happened. Here is an explanation.

It cuts me up to say this, but the Peter Murphy show tonite at Yerberia Cultura has been cancelled.

It is a decision that was beyond us, and it is totally out of our hands. Refunds will be made. If you purchased tickets via ticketfly.com, your refund will be happening over the weekend. If you purchased tickets via Melhart Music Center, you will be able to receive your refund in full at any time during Melhart’s operating hours.Fans deserve to know the reality of the situation, so here it is. The band’s tour management felt that the weather - potential for rain - was going to impose a safety issue for the band. Because Yerberia Cultura is an outdoor venue, tour mgmt felt these needs would not be met. Despite huge efforts on our end to secure adequate tenting, and despite their being *no* chance of rain tonite, tour management made the decision to cancel.The safety of every artist we book and patrons at each show is always priority, but even some demands are unfeasible and, to be honest, totally unrealistic.

The group’s agent, management, and venue staff all tried to make this work, but this was decision out of our hands.At the moment, there is discussion to get the show rescheduled for Fall 2016, however we can’t confirm this will happen. Thus, again, refunds will be made.

Major apologies to all who drove, purchased tickets, or made plans to spend an evening with a legend. We stayed up All Nite Long with excitement, so this is a huge blow.If there are any further questions or concerns, please feel free to message via: yerberiacultura@gmail.com

You may also call 956-605-3344.Yerberia will be open tonite regardless, so feel free to mourn and spit roses with us.

Bummer. 

McAllen - I lived in Brownsville for ten years. I miss the Valley

testing