Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

welcome back to the junk drawer of random beauty thoughts and musings. it has been nearly a year, so i think it is time for a rew RT thread ! 

when i'm doing my makeup in the morning, my dog sometimes throws a fit until i move his food bowl over to where i'm sitting. i'm certainly not the diva in our relationship.

THE QUESTIONS THREAD:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/The-Question-Thread-Because-not-all-questions-need-their-ow...

VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD ! :  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/m-p/1826210#M69382

SWATCH REQUEST THREADhttp://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY (PART DEUX)

That is a tough one. I have two daughters (19 & 15) and I always try and compliment all different facets of them at various times. One has gorgeous eyes and the other has (this sounds weird) the most perfect lips for lipstick, so I often tell them that. But I also like to tell them that they are smart, funny, kind, a beautiful dancer (the 19 year old) and a wonderfully scrappy rugby player (the 15 year old).

I don't spend the day telling them how great they are, obviously, but I like to pop little compliments into conversations every so often. Looks aren't everything but the first time I can remember anyone telling me I was pretty was on my wedding day, and I don't want my daughters to feel like that. 

I try and emphasize that their clothes and makeup should make them feel good about themselves, but those things don't define them. Ever since they were little I have made sure to tell them how good they are at certain things and how I love seeing them use those talents. 

I don't know; I try, but sometimes it feels like a losing battle when you see what's on magazine covers and ads etc. etc. 😞

I wish women were judged less on appearance.  I don't want her defined by it...but people notice.

Luckily, I feel girls today grow up with a more rounded concept of themselves.  But, I don't know how to address it.  Thanks!

I don't know that you necessarily need to address it - maybe just work little things into conversations? Like, "that shirt makes your eyes look so pretty" or something?

I also like to use actresses and singers as teachable moments. As in, "it's too bad *whatever celebrity* feels like she needs to dress like that all the time - she's more than just her *whatever body part is currently hanging out*"

I would just follow her lead, I think...if she seems to be concerned about something you can reassure her. But I think they pick up a lot just based on our behaviors. I (almost!) never criticize my looks in front of my girls, and I just try to avoid commenting too much on appearance-related stuff in general. 

Not sure if that helps or not. Good luck 🙂

@JenniferOhJenny I comment too much on my own stuff...which is my issue and a huge concern on my end.  I'm working on it.  

We do have agreement on too much being too much (flesh, harsh makeup, etc). Thanks!

It's hard, isn't it? I just remember my mom, who is 5 feet tall and practically elfin, saying stuff about being fat and me thinking that if she thought *she* were fat, she must think I'm enormous! So I have to bite my tongue a lot when it comes to myself.

This was kind of going to be my suggestion. Compliment the things she has going for her. Tell her how much you love her. If she comes to you asking for advice, give it to her (gently), and play up her other beautiful attributes. If you want her to be into girly things, and she just isn't, just let her be her. Sometimes that just comes later!

I know I should be thinking about summer, but I can't stop obsessing over dark lips. I have a whole Colourpop cart full of deep matte liquid lips right now. where's the color? where's the shine? apparently nowhere in my dark soul

Why does every review talk about how good the Juicy Shakers smell? I have "Mint to Be," "Piece of Cake," and "Good Kara-mel." They all smell very artificial with an underlying chemical scent, very disappointing. Maybe other scents smell better.

I do love how they feel, they're actually a very good combination of oils for my lips, and the tint is buildable in layers. I actually really like "Piece of Cake" as a pouty nude on my pigmented lips. I didn't think it'd show up on me at all, after all the reviews and swatches.

i think the bitter truth is....loads of people like artificial smells. which is fair enough.

I think you've got a point there. So many crazy candles and perfumes that I would never want to smell for an elongated period of time.

Hmmm I bought Melimelon bc I heard that one smells like watermelon jolly ranchers. I should get it soon & update!

You weren't impressed with Mint to Be? I'm really curious about that one too.

I thought "Mint to Be" would be the easiest good smell because I really like the natural scent of mint, but this is a chemically sweet mint that I don't care for.

@36524 @infamousp  I smelled all of them in store.  The only one I didn't find to be horrendously artificial and offensive was Meli Melon.  It's not my favorite color (I would have preferred a darker one), but it smells exactly like watermelon jolly ranchers.  Hopefully you like it, infamousp!

I aaaaalmost purchased "Meli Melon," but I thought it wouldn't do anything on dark lips. Deeerrn, I should go in some time and have a whiff.

Is anyone else going to try to snag one of the Prism highlighters from Bitter Lace Beauty in the next hour when the launch?:)

Bitter Lace Beauty just posted this on Facebook

I understand your frustration with our restock. Not everybody was able to snag Prism who wanted one, we were a small shop that just blew up overnight and are not prepared to sell the amount we would need to make everybody happy. We are taking the proper steps to mass produce this product... I made a choice to keep making them rather than stopping production completely while they are in the works. I care immensely for my customers, I always have... I want everyone to have one who wants one, so it is frustrating for me as well. All I can do, is what I can do. I will keep making them and restocking as much as possible. Thank you for your support.

Apparently, there are people on Ebay who want to buy one of these for over $1,000... Smiley Surprised

I've never seen anything quite like THAT before... 😞

Wow, I added to cart right as it went live, and it immediately said sold out in my basket. 😞

Same. 

@VioletLavender @JazaChai go back NOW! Says in stock!

OMG that was fast... it does say OOS when you checkout.

It will come back in stock.  It's an item she'll keep making so it will come back along with her other colors... I should have waited because there's a few more colors I want... oh well.

testing