Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Please help improve my make-up routine:)

Hey guys! 
So I have very pale and sensitive skin + acne/imperfections. Here’s a picture of my simple daily make-up to point out problems. 

1. Before I apply my make up I always do skin care routine, serums, finish it up with Chanel hydration cream. Then I apply a primer Nyx poreless, follow up with L’Oréal Full coverage concealer, Chanel Flawless Foundation and YVS matte powder. But here’s an interesting thing. Even tho I highly hydrate and smooth my skin I still have pores, weird dryness and particles on my skin when I’m done with my make up. Any suggestions how to get that velvety texture/improve my make up? 

2. Because my skin is so pale and sensitive I feel like even full coverage is not helping, cuz I can still see imperfections and redness, my black under eyes still visible even with concealer/foundation. And if I use mooore layers/baking it just makes it worse. Any suggestions how to get that even tone full coverage? 

thank you ❤️ 
every little opinion matters! 
Chanel and YVS stuff were gifts from my mom so I’d appreciate if you can give me more budget/medium priced product suggestions. 

0DCDA5BF-9310-4182-99FF-5684604F0941.jpeg

Re: Please help improve my make-up routine:)

A small suggestion to help with the dark undereye circles, try using a small amount of yellow color corrector underneath your concealer. It helps cancel out any purplish hues and brightens the area. You can get it in a stick which makes it super easy to apply.

@Roklobster hello and welcome to BIC!! I am very pale too with a few imperfections here and there. I suggest you to look into exfoliating products. Both in cream formulas and face tools. You will have the smoothest skin because exfoliators are used for remove impurities and dead/flaky skin bits from your face. I also have dark circles. I'm sorry to say, it's genetic. I used to layer many concealers all the time. I used the Estee Lauder advanced night repair eye cream (so, an expensive one).....nothing. Maybe I can suggest you to ask directly to a dermatologist if there is a specific product out there for heavy dark circles....As for affordable makeup, I like kiko milano! hope this helps!

Hi @Roklobster ! What's your current full skincare routine? You mentioned you use serums; which ones? Also, what's your usual skin type/behavior (besides sensitive)? Is your skin typically dry, and do you always have dry patches (before applying primer and makeup)? 

If your pores are normally visible (without makeup), you can't really hide or "shrink" them—and that's okay! Pores are a normal feature of skin that the beauty standards police has demonized. Depending on your skin type/behavior and current skincare routine, your pores might appear stretched larger than usual. Since you mentioned acne, I assume you already use a salicylic acid (BHA) product...? If so, how frequently do you use it? BHA is anti-inflammatory, but it can also be quite drying—especially for sensitive skin—if used too frequently. There's always a chance your dryness is being caused by one or more of your current skincare products. 

For dark undereyes, have you tried a color corrector? It can be a standalone product (Bobbi Brown makes many people's favorites), or simply a color correcting shade of concealer. Sometimes my color corrector is all I need to mask undereye darkness. Other times, I need to top it with a concealer closer to my skin tone. 

@WinglessOne 

Hello! Thank you for always responding to my posts! You’ve recommended Azelaic acid couples months ago which is helping a lot, thank you 🙂 

I use The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Anhydrous Solution Pore Clearing Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL #andThe Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL   

All these stuff made a huge difference and definitely keeps my acne in control. But as I said I just can’t find that skin texture/tone balance even though I regularly moisturize my skn. 

@Roklobster  Ah, I thought your name seemed familiar! I'm glad azelaic acid's helping your skin! 

Which Chanel cream do you use as a moisturizer? They make several. The couple I randomly looked at seem to rely on shea butter and dimethicone as moisturizing ingredients. Those are both goodies, but might not be moisturizing enough for some people's skin. 

Since BHA is an exfoliant (in addition to pore degunker), I'll caution against applying even more exfoliating products to your face for now. Without figuring out what's causing your dry patches, you could end up over-exfoliating by trying to remove flaky skin too frequently—which will cause more dry patches and skin barrier damage. I mean sure, you can try something like an AHA or gentler PHA exfoliant, or a manual exfoliation tool, and see if that helps. Just be careful, especially since you have sensitive skin. If you currently use that The Ordinary BHA serum 4-7 times a week, cut usage back to just 2-3 times a week and see how your skin responds, just to make sure it's not salicylic acid that's drying out your skin. 

One more question: when you say you have particles on your skin after applying makeup, do you mean pilling (little balls/"pills" of something on your skin)? 

@Roklobster I would suggest dermaplaning, once a month, that will also exfoliate your skin, and remove some dead skin cells. Hydrate, hydrate hydrate,, with serum, mist and setting spray

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos1
  • 0DCDA5BF-9310-4182-99FF-5684604F0941.jpeg
testing