Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, welcome to YEAR 6 of the Pan It Challenge!

ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif

**Join us in the 2024 thread available here: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Re: Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

@caitbird  You have an impressive goal.  I’m always looking for a new concealer, glad you like it. 

@Cissy63  thank you! I didn't love this one when I first tried it, I think bc I was more used to something more liquid with a dose foot applicator or the like, so the user experience was a bit of an adjustment for me. But it has really grown on me to where now it's the main concealer I use.

@caitbird whoa, I'm impressed by your ambition!  Hope you end up enjoying the Hourglass Veil™ Translucent Setting Powder - Talc Free Translucent more as you go; it's actually one of my favorites 🙂

What fun photos, @caitbird - and quite an exciting project to embark on! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Glossier concealer; I have been curious about that one.

@eshoe  thank you! Glad you found my rambling helpful haha 😅

I just see plenty of valuable info, @caitbird 😄

@caitbird Welcome! I'm so glad you found this thread. I'm excited seeing all your projects, and I can't wait to see updates!

@Samtian  thank you 💜 I think it will be a fun project to work on!

@caitbird -- I think your skincare goals are very well within reach, and your makeup goals will mostly be pretty easy to do, too. It's hard to use up a full blush, but liquids are easiest for sure.

Personally I like to set aside a specific day of the week, like Monday Pan-day, when I will use panning project stuff before other makeup, it helps get that weekly use in. The Wahala II palette is sooo pretty, and love those red lippies.

One more tip: using a cream you don't love on your feet instead is great for the feet and keeps the scent away from your nose pretty well. Welcome to the challenge! Looking forward to your updates.

@heavyhedon  thank you! 😊 And thank you for the tips, I will definitely have to try those!

These are great goals @caitbird I hope you have fun with your pan project!

Oooh so many nice products to use and try out! I can't wait to hear what you think about all the glow recipie products, I am really curious about the new cleanser and the strawberry serum ‌🙂‌ 

Good luck! ‌🍀‌ 

@CynthieLu  thank you! I think it will be a fun project haha!

I like all the glow recipe products so far, although I'm not sure I like the scent of the cleanser that much - it's not awful, just maybe not my favorite. I really like the toner & serums especially so far.

@caitbird  this is such an exciting project! Looking forward to seeing you work through these items - looks like youve got a great mix of things you need to work through because you dont like them, items you enjoy using (the key to any pan project is not sticking just to things you dont love, otherwise it starts to feel like a chore!). i love how ambitious this is, i'm sure youll be able to work through more than you anticipate!

@cianni  thank you! I tried to pick a good variety of items and goals to keep things interesting. I might have been a little overly ambitious 😅 but this is my first time doing this challenge so I figure I will see how I do and I can always make adjustments for next year.

@caitbird ohh exciting!! I have to agree with you on the strawberry body lotion!! I hated it so much it was torture trying to use it up 🙄 good luck on your items!! 🙌

@lmaster  thank you! Yeah I really hoped I would like that body lotion but it's just...not for me 😔

You are all in for the pan it! challenge @caitbird! Love it.💓 One of the (many) things I love about this challenge is that it's about you working through your products and you can always adjust along the way to press pause on panning a particular product, or swapping one in for another one, or ... what suits you and your routine, lifestyle, skincare needs, etc. You've set clear goals and have a gorgeous variety of beauties to work on. You've got this! Super happy that you're joining in the challenge; excited to see your progress and hear about what you learn along the way! 

@itsfi  thank you so much! I tried to pick a good variety of products & goals (although I might have been a little over ambitious 😅) to keep things interesting. I'm excited to be joining this challenge and I think it will be fun to work on it throughout the year!

Helloooo everyone! I took a break from active panning for about two years now (or maybe three—after all, time is a human construct). I was in a good place with my products and I was able to work through things in a relatively steady pace. This year, however, I need to work on my body moisturizers! And some skincare items that I am going to have to use on my body because they don’t jive with my face and/or scalp. I probably won’t have super regular updates but I think it will be neat to see where I’m at by the end of the year. My goal is to have everything on this list DONE! I have come to find that my face, scalp, hands, and feet are quite picky about moisturizers but I can use just about anything on my legs and body—I just have to remember to use it daily LOL.

1. Frankenlotion: an amalgamation of a bunch of almost-used-but-still-has-some-left bottles in one convenient pump-top bottle. Components include Dr. Teal’s Eucalyptus & Spearmint, Fresh Body Lotion Hesperides Grapefruit, Soapbox Hand Lotion Deep Moisture Coconut Milk & Sandalwood (the actual bottle), BBW Body Lotion Waikiki Coconut, and First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration. I may end up continually using this pump-top bottle for everything because I consistently use the same number of pumps after most showers and it’s the same color as my glass hand soap bottle.

2. Lush Pink Peppermint Foot Lotion (expiration date is this April). I should probably work on this first since it has an actual expiration date. I would like this more if it didn’t have a very slight chalkiness.

3. 16-oz/1-pound tubs of Eucerin and CeraVe. Both of these are unused and I’m lumping them together because a) they’re both ginormous and b) they were both bought for my fiancé in like 2019 or 2020 and he hasn’t used them. I genuinely forgot they were in our house until I was putting something in his nightstand drawer.

4. A smallish tub of O’Keefe’s. Another one that gives my hands and feet the heebie-jeebies when I use it on those areas. On the legs it will eventually go.

5. BBW Body Lotion in Saltwater Breeze and Pure Wonder. The first is unused and the second is a tiny bit used. The Body Lotions from BBW don’t work as well for me as the Ultra Shea Body Creams do.

6. Set of full-sized Belif products that all contain hyaluronic acid, which I have found causes hairline/scalp irritation and flaking if I use them on my face: Aqua Bomb Hydrating Toner, Hungarian Water Essence, Milky Hydra Balancing Moisturizer, and Witch Hazel Herbal Extract Toner. These will probably be the last things that I work on because they’re technically the newest (aka summer 2022).

Honorable mentions: fragrances and samples. I get nervous about perfumes spritzes potentially staining my clothing. I much prefer rollerballs, although I tend to use them in warm weather when I can wear lighter clothing that doesn’t cover up my wrists/elbows. So my fragrances mostly sit unused and looking pretty. I also have a decent number of haircare samples that need to get used eventually. I will not kid myself into “This will be perfect for travel” because I am the poster child for being a homebody and not going anywhere. So far though, what I have in these categories takes up minuscule space and has not reached the point of being overwhelming or flat-out old yet.

Happy panning all, and best of luck in 2023!

@KeriCherryDee  Hi.  It’s going to be fun to see how it goes!

@KeriCherryDee Welcome back to the panning world! Great choices to work through! Sorry about the belif. They had some of my hg products until they stopped making them. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos367
  • ElleElleG_1-1672620471899.gif
  • 323719377_6362579213781693_6958070562248061353_n.jpg
  • 322838578_690758889456917_9136126654248884607_n.jpg
  • 322919583_558458072853999_1877845244737797897_n.jpg
  • 322980736_897123491718555_2385469364407629826_n.jpg
  • 322947343_1809401399419856_8586879920881013385_n.jpg
  • 322929963_2926471330819239_1629557705035522297_n.jpg
  • 322947066_697877798529069_6114966065287832166_n.jpg
  • 323545088_5899156633440909_8404832218144887405_n.jpg