Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Just echoing to cut yourself some slack, @QueenMarceline!! I think it took until like August or so to hit pan on something last year.

For products where pan is taking a while, there's some options. For creams, a usage tracker and goal can help instead of looking at volume progress. I only take pics every three months because otherwise I feel I'm not really making progress.

I think rather than trying to pan as quickly as possible, consistent use and keeping things up front is how to get through things. The spa day is such a good idea!! You got this!!

@haleyvvvv I've been doing a lot better this month and really enjoy the "pan geared" spa days I have been doing. Which reminds me, I'm due for one extra soon 🙂

@QueenMarceline, I like your idea of giving yourself a spa day - an excellent self care too, whether or not you’re working on a project pan. I think you’re doing great work on your panning projects. I wholeheartedly support cutting yourself some slack. We’re what? 6 weeks or so into the new year?!! Project pans take time and it’s about chipping away at it - a marathon not a sprint (says the girl who’s never come close to running a marathon 😂). 

@QueenMarceline, I like your idea of giving yourself a spa day - an excellent self care too, whether or not you’re working on a project pan. I think you’re doing great work on your panning projects. I wholeheartedly support cutting yourself some slack. We’re what? 6 weeks or so into the new year?!! Project pans take time and it’s about chipping away at it - a marathon not a sprint (says the girl who’s never come close to running a marathon 😂). 

@itsfi Haha, definitely 🙂 I guess I just expected to run through more in January especially because a lot of my products were near empties and I purposefully avoided adding on large makeup items such as eyeshadows or bronzers. 

Finishing an item IS making progress.  Also, when I have seemingly non progressive months it usually means in the next few months I’m going to have a lot.  Just throw some smaller items into your project you absolutely know you can finish so you have something to feel good about no matter what.  Spa day sounds awesome in any case!  @QueenMarceline 

@heartsmyface I think you hit it on the nail there, I've already panned two masks this month in February and my empties bin is overall growing at a high rate. Also just finished another small near-empty item so that makes 3 total from my project pan just this month and 4 items total off the project pan. I think after February or March I'll have to add on some more items to replace the ones I have gone through. As @Samtian suggested, I think I need to be less hard on myself 🙂 

@QueenMarceline You definitely need to give yourself some slack! Even finishing one item is a huge thing!! They can take a long time to pan something no matter how much product there is. Great idea on the spa day/rotation!

@Samtian You're absolutely right 🙂 I'm making some great progress this month thus far, thinking of doing another spa day rotation. It was actually super fun.

@QueenMarceline It sounds like it!

Spa Panning! That's a great idea @QueenMarceline 

@heavyhedon So happy to say, I panned one of the face masks on my panning list I made yesterday. It was one of my near empties but still feels great 🙂 Plus I used a ton of the other products in the panning bin.

Intro to February's Mini Pan:  🌹A Few of My Favorite Things💄

Can't resist another seasonal mini pan; the next two will run longer; but for my birthday month of February, I want to lay off all other panning/makeup goals and any other self-induced pressures and let myself use my most favorite makeup & beauty stuff.,  Some are old faves, a few new. I've tried to keep to one item per brand per category (mostly) and still ended up with something like 58 products! They will live in my daily makeup station from now. Feb.7th till March 8th. 

I just want to enjoy my most beloved items, getting to use each of them at least once during this time; so often, that precious stuff is neglected somehow. If I use anything here a few times then get over it, I might roll in one of the faves that didn't make first cut. Also, a few true faves that fit the themes are being reserved for the next two seasonal pans. 

Tracking uses will happen, but I'll keep the updates to one + the finale, at most. 

Picking the list was some work, and I realized that many items are favorites not just for their shade & functionality but also because they are so beautifully boxed & packaged and well designed to be a joy to use. That is why you are now going to see a barrage of pics! *Note, I realized it's not my favorite thing to have to struggle to find a brush in my stash, so I put away about half the face brushes I normally keep out, and now it's neater, easier, more fun. And even though it means opening a couple of new cleansing minis early, so be it, I want what I want, & those were added in too.

Spoiler
My Favethings 002.JPGAren't they pretty?Aren't they pretty?added my fave Ipsy makeup clutch and cleansing items tooadded my fave Ipsy makeup clutch and cleansing items too

Spoiler
Spoiler
In the boxIn the boxout-of-the-box beautifulout-of-the-box beautifulblush, highlights, concealers, powder, baseblush, highlights, concealers, powder, basecontainedcontainedcutenesscutenessthe colors! I changed up one shade in The Douce.the colors! I changed up one shade in The Douce.liners, mascara & lashes, oh myliners, mascara & lashes, oh myone more palette please--one more palette please--simple pleasure to usesimple pleasure to use
Spoiler

But wait, there's more! Also using the last gift my late sister Linda gave me, over 2 decades ago; a kitten mug to hold my liners, everyday eye brushes etc.. And then there's the lippies. 

Spoiler
Balm, gloss, lipsticksBalm, gloss, lipsticksThis is a staple of my collection that means so much to meThis is a staple of my collection that means so much to mefave view from my office window, my backyardfave view from my office window, my backyard

Spoiler

I really love that Bareminerals Cream Glaze, I've already used up the first one I bought, wish they would bring it back!

Here's the long list of the item names: 

Spoiler

LXMI Nilotica Goddess Glow Hydrating Illuminator (pink glowy all-purpose liquid)

Purlisse Radiant Glow illuminating BB Cream in Fair

Bareminerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream in Vanilla 02

Tish & Snooky’s Manic Panic NYC Cream/Powder Foundation in Goth White

Too Faced Born This Way Multi-Use Sculpting Concealer in Snow

Pixi by Petra Eye Bright Kit in No. 1 Fair/Medium

Too Faced Peach Perfect Mattifying Loose Setting Powder

Real Techniques Makeup Sponge for Powders

Sephora Winter Queen Face Palette

Dirty Little Secret Blush in Kitty Pink

Lorac Pro Powder Cheek Stain in Plum Passion

Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Fairy Flush

Ciate London Glow-To Illuminating Blush in In Too Deep

Benefit Dandelion Matte Radiance Highlighter in Shy Beam

Katherine Natural Cosmetics Natural All-Over Powder in Siena’s Highlight

mark. By Avon Soft Glow illuminator in All the Highlights

Sephora Golden Hour Highlighting Powder in Twilight

Bareminerals Ready Eyeshadow 4.0 in The Modern Icon

Love You First Stunning Eyeshadow Duo in Lilac & Blackberry

Sephora Winter Magic Eyeshadow Palette

Colourpop & Star Wars The Mandalorian Pressed Powder Palette in The Child

Juvia’s Place Eyeshadow Palette in The Douce

Dominique Cosmetics Eyeshadow Palette in Berries & Cream

Tarte Eye & Cheek Palette in Fall Feels

Sephora  X Craig & Karl Eyeshadow Duos (stack) in: Double Decker, Hue York, Bowery Blues, London Eye, and a pale blue shimmery single I added to the stack for extra 60s goodness.

Eyeko Liquid Eyeliner in Black Magic

Araceli Ojos Perfectos Liquid Eyeliner in Coffee

Tanais Liquid Kajal in Bengal Green

Ciate London Gel-Kohl Eyeliner Pencil in Black

Ardency Inn Punker Original Smoky Shadow in Black Smoke

Make Up For Ever Artist Color Pencil in Total Taupe

Sephora Eye Pencil To Go in Classic Taupe

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Desperation

Ardency Inn Modster Smooth Ride Supercharged Eyeliner in Grass

Forme Treatment Cosmetics Smearproof Eyeliner in Navy Blue 4

Clinique Quickliner for Eyes Intense in Intense Plum (matches SC London Eye!)

Chella Beauty Highlighter Pencil in Ivory Lace

Sally Girl Mini Eye Pencil in White (I think it may be called Scrilla, LOL, but not sure)

Pixi by Petra Endless Silky Eye pen in Opal Overcoat

Bareminerals Lasting Line Long-Wearing Eyeliner in Classic Cream

Red Cherry Eyelashes in Chloe

Uoma Drama bomb Extreme Volume Nourishing Mascara in Black

L’oreaL Voluminous Original Mascara in Cobalt Blue

Sinful Colors Diva Lash Color Mascara in Styl-Eyes

Sugar Cosmetics Arch Arrival Brow Definer in Taupe Tom

Skone Brow Wand Eyebrow Pencil in Chocolate

Benefit 24-Hr Brow Setter Invisible Shaping & Setting Gel for Brows

Avon Color Trend Lipliner in Neutral

Sephora Rouge Gel Lip Liner in 01 The Nudest

Rare Beauty Dewy Lip Balm in Thankful

Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Whip

Avon Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in Purple Hazed

Dominque Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick in Cozy

NYX Butter Gloss in Crème Brulee

Buxom Full-On Lip Polish in Samantha

Bareminerals Cream Glaze Lip Topcoat in Pearl Glaze

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser

Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm

Spoiler

Thanks for reading, and Happy February!

HBD, @heavyhedon!! Excited to see your progress on this!! There are some beautiful products in here (that SC powder is gorgeous)!! 

@haleyvvvv --thank you, I have some fun ideas for the next couple seasonal pans-- Spring is in the air (at least today). & If you like a sheeny, smooth glow of a highlight sometimes, those SC Golden Hour powders are all amazing-- I have three of the 4 shades. 

@heavyhedon That clutch is purrrty!

@Samtian -- and the back is soft and velvety smooth, too!

@heavyhedon ooh nice!

January Update, 🎄Colors of Christmas🎄 Finale!

Sorry so late, I have had a plumbing problem to fix and lots of shoveling. January was okay. So far, I've tried 

10 face/lip samples, used an inch of Elf Hydrating Water Essence, made some progress on the Elf Tone Correcting Powder in Cool and the Becca Perfector mini, and have used several base minis-- very close to using up the Lock Color foundation mini, and realizing I'm not that fond of it. The finish is kind of flat, drying, and the color has a little too much white in the base. Of the face/lip samples I've tried, I did enjoy Urban Decay's Balktalk lippy & the Dinoplatz Balm from Too Cool for School, Giorgio Armani's Fluid Sheer and I've decided I do like the effect of the Tatcha powder; although it looks very yellow in the pan, when applied it just perfects without adding color (on me).  Oh, I keep forgetting to use UD Primer Potion mini, I think I've used it twice? Gotta get on that. Lastly, making use of TF's Bellini from Sweet Peach, but no pan yet. 

Spoiler
I think this will be finished by year's endI think this will be finished by year's endUsing this easilyUsing this easilypan expanding slowlypan expanding slowlyBellini is under the green shade-- little dip?Bellini is under the green shade-- little dip?
10 samples, 11 if I count one I'm still using up10 samples, 11 if I count one I'm still using up

There's progress & more breakage on the Pixi Brow Palette-- that black shade doesn't want to stay put. I'm worried that fully repressing will destroy the texture, but I think I'm going to have to try. 

the black keeps crackingthe black keeps cracking

CoC Finale! My mini pan for Jan. is done. I hit hard usage goals on 9 products, but did not make 3 uses on 3-- the white Bite Beauty lipliner  and the Pixi cream rouge, due to a sudden plumbing issue (and I'm our home handyman), followed by heavy snows requiring lots of shoveling. The Avon fruity gloss burnt my lips second use, so I tossed it. I also was unable to finish up either the Deep Green or Burgundy L'oreal mascaras as hoped. After a use or two of burgundy I was focusing on the green steadily, and it is getting low. I made good use of TF's Pearl Candy shade from the White Chip palette, creating a definite dip, and that palette will make its way back in some other season this year. 

The small white shade at top/middleThe small white shade at top/middle

Farewell, Christmas colors! 

Fantastic progress, @heavyhedon!! 

TY, @haleyvvvv , it was fun to go ham on the red, green etc. 

1,327 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette