Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Thx you @heavyhedon . 🌹

@blackkitty2014 Ooh that 116 is gorgeous! 

@Samtian @Chanel Dream 116 is pretty and very comfortable too. It is easy to pan it 😘

@blackkitty2014  Great destash!

Thx you @ather . I’m pretty proud of myself. The 2 SC took me forever to finish but the 2 Chanel ones are easier 😘

Those were beautiful shades @blackkitty2014 ! Time to give some love to newer ones!

Thx you @Saradestin . I have couple new ones coming 😘

@blackkitty2014 Great job! Bye bye lippies. Gone but never forgotten, lol.

Thx you @QueenMarceline 

Hi fellow panners! Was it just me or did July come and go like that??!! The month was filled with some ups and downs when it came to panning, but overall, things are going pretty well.

7.31.2022 Update.jpg

Monthly Summary: 2 more products done! Progress continues on most of my project pan products but there are a small handful that need to to really start picking up the pace if there's going to be any significant progress made on them. Let's hope my plans to "kill 2 birds with one stone" with a few of them will work.

July All-Stars are the Farmacy Very Cherry Bright 15% Clean Vitamin C Serum with Acerola Cherry 1.0 oz/ 30 mL and Floral Street Sunflower Pop Eau De Parfum Travel Spray 0.34 oz/ 10 mL (gratis). I like the Farmacy serum but I've been happy with using a moisturizer that contains vitamin C so I don't think I'll be picking up any lone vitamin C product anytime soon. The Sunflower Pop perfume, on the other hand, will be repurchased - in the full size. It's liquid sunshine in a bottle - a fragrance full of joy and cheer.

New Strategies are afoot with some products that are moving way too slowly, if they can be said to be even moving. Ack! My plan for a few of these items is to combine them to see if that will get some more usage out of them. Here are the ones up for coupledom:

• Hourglass Highlighter Stick (Champagne Flash) + Kiehl's Creme de Corps = new glowy, sparkly body lotion

• Sephora Collection Cream Blush + innisfree Lip Sleeping Mask (Green Tea) = new tinted lip balm. The innisfree isn't the problem; I actually think I could get through that by the end of September if I used it every night, but this way, I can get some use out of the cream blush.

• Kosas powder - it's not bad, I'm just reaching for other setting powders or setting sprays more on the days I wear a full face of makeup. My new plan is to turn some of this product into a loose powder and use it for baking, with the idea that this will give me a chance to try a new technique (I imagine baking isn't on trend anymore but it's all good; it's more about me learning something new and working my way through that powder.

That's all for July's update. Hoping to see more progress and maybe even another pan next month! 😊

@itsfi  I love your action plan! Using the cream blush for tinted balms is genius!! I also think by setting clear goals it helps you get the results you need!! I love it! 

Thank you @ather. Unless something breaks me out or there's some other lingering issue with a product, I like to try to repurpose it if I can. You know me and lip balms, so I figure if I can't make a product work for me as a coverted lip balm (and it's something that can be turned into a lip balm), it might not be meant to be. 🤣 I did it with powder eyeshadow last year, including with one from this ND palette as well. I learned about that from either a blog or YT video and I thought, "why not cream blush?" It's actually been going pretty well so far. 🤞

Yeah, goals are good; I can always adjust as necessary but having something in mind to work on is helpful for me. Panning 22 items in a year was definitely a stretch goal and it's not looking like I'll be able to check off all 22, but that's alright. Hoping to make some good progress on most of my products.

@itsfi  I think any amount is better then none!! I’m sure you will still finish off strong!!! 

That’s great @itsfi ! I am so slow at using my products that hitting pan is so rare! 

@Saradestin, this is the third year I’ve have ND Biba as part of my project pan. The first year these were pretty much the only shadows I used and I used them at least 5 days every week. It’s definitely been an eye opener for how long it takes to use up a palette. 👀 

It takes an eternity @itsfi! 😅 That is what I really think when I consider expensive products, that they are normally worth it because I will have product forever!

Yes @Saradestin! So true. 👊🏼 I’ve changed my purchasing habits (or strategy 😂) 🛍 through the years, for the better.  My time working on panning projects have really helped to shape that. 

@itsfi Wow, amazing job on that eyeshadow palette. ❤️

@QueenMarceline, thank you. This is year 3 of this palette being part of a project pan. Hoping to hit full pan this year.

@itsfi You're doing amazing! 🙂 I totally believe in you, you've come so far already on that palette.

@QueenMarceline, thank you for your encouragement. Project pan gave me something to focus on during the lockdown, watching @ElleElleG’s discipline and work through her own palettes was so inspiring, and the folks on the thread were incredibly kind and supportive. 🥰

Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette
  • The chosen ones