Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Here’s an update on my ND 5-Pan. Not a ton of progress but I’m excited by the depth of the dip in that gold shade. 

147C3512-A8C2-4FA6-AF7F-301C667413B5.jpeg

832A0275-F5B9-49C2-8320-749E74AA25D3.jpeg

Okay looking at these together makes me feel like I made more progress than initially believed. I need to get back into the habit of applying at least eyeshadow daily so I can finish this by the end of the year. Next goal is hitting pan on that gold shade by mid August 👀 

@ElleElleG  Oh wow, yeah you’ve made amazing progress!  The before photos are very reassuring:).  Do you add other colors to your looks or have you been wearing mostly neutral eyes all

summer? 

@ElleElleG Wow! Great progress!

@ElleElleG -- nice work! I have been struggling too, it's been beastly hot & humid lately, and a flick of mascara and some balm is all I feel up for, but pushing to have fun making up sometimes anyway. 

@ElleElleG Ooh I see the nice progress!

@ElleElleG, when I first read your comment about "not a ton of progress" and looked at the photos, I kept thinking "what am I missing?!" because I thought your photos showed significant progress. 😄 I think that really goes to show how helpful it is to have pictures of panning efforts - to document and to motivate. There's been a number of occasions when I feel like I'm just plugging away at a snail's pace and not getting too far along, but then I compare photos and sometimes I see that I'm doing better than I thought. I'm excited to see you get closer and closer to pan on that gold shade! Just a matter of time. 👍

@Nahnom Fantastic progress

@Nahnom -- that's a big dip in the corrector, good luck with the blush stick. 

Great choices for your project pan @Nahnom! Look at that dip in the CT; you’ve definitely been making some significant progress. It looks like you could hit pan on it this year and full pan / finish it by early next. Awesome work! 

What would make the color on the Milk lip and cream blush more likable? Is it too dark? Not dark enough? Just curious to see if there might be a way for you to mix another product with it to create a color you like more and maybe transfer it into a jar or vessel that works better for you. 

@itsfi ...

I haven't used any stick foundation or blush or well, anything in quite a while, but you reminded me of a "hack" I learned from a fellow model some time ago. 

Warning: it does require messing up 5he back or palm of your hand. She would take the dark, stubborn stick and first hold it clenches in her hands to warm it a bit. Then she applied a very small amt of moisturizer on back of her hand and rubbed the stick over it until she had the desired amount. She explained that the moisture and the heat helped make texture more creamy and smooth. Then she would take a wedge and tap it in the cream and then tap, blend on her cheeks.

One fashion show she was running very late and hadn't brought her show case. As we were finishing up she asked if I had lipstick as all she had was the light pinky pearl she'd been wearing. Well, the few I had with me were farely dark and on the berry/purple side. She did almost 5he same thing but mixed in a bit of her shade to soften my colors! It was amazing! 

Gah, guess who locked themselves out of their account 🙃

Anyways, I owe you all an update ASAP

Oh no @ElleElleG! 😱 Hope it gets resolved without too much hassle. Excited to see your updates. 😃 

June extras & 😎Nude Summer🍹Update 1:

Doing quite dreadfully on my samples section of the year-long pan; I keep forgetting to pull out my pan box, is why. Going to change that now.

As for the other items, I'm working on a way to make the ELF cool powder compact more useful, I'll be turning it into a loose powder this week. And my ELF Hydrating Water Essence is doing well, I'm still on target for finishing that this year at least. Here's pics, same level, just marked anew in the second pic: 

eye looks nude mono1 001.JPGeye looks nude mono1 002.JPG

Now, for 😎Nude Summer🍹--

Worked my way through 1-3 uses each of the first group, including an extra palette or two I added in by accident:

Super Shock Eyeshadow, Hanky Panky 1

Maybelline Color Tattoo Leather, Creamy Beige 1

Jelly PongPong Duo, Electric1

Pacifica Hemp-Infused Quad, Quartzes 1

ELF, Need It Nude 1

Milani, Soft & Sultry 3

Sephora Winter Magic 2

Huda, Mercury Retrograde 3

Juvia’s Place, Warrior II 4

Pixi Fresh Face Blush, Ginger Blossom 4

ELF Beautifully Bare Palette, Fresh & Flawless 3

Avon True Color Blush, Earthen Rose 4

Item Contour Cheek Money, Vibez 2

Essence Pure Nude Highlighter, Popping Champagne 1

Colourpop, Calypso 2

Natasha Denona Matte Lipstick, Amarosa 3

Burt’s Bees Lipstick, Suede Splash 1

Mellow Cosmetics Lipstick, Chocolate 1

Mellow Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick, Tehran 2

Tarteist Lip Paint, Hella 1

Nars Tinted Lip Balm, Laguna 2

Becca Lip Gloss, Topaz x Gilt 2

-------------------------

Context Nail Lacquer, Body Talk 2

--------------

Here's Group 2: 

Spoiler
Most of the goodies!Most of the goodies!SC mini Nougat, very sweet shadesSC mini Nougat, very sweet shades

I want to use them all 1-4 times, and I'll keep using Kitty Pink till it's fini! You can see these are mostly deeper nudes, which would look fantastic against my non-existent tan.

The goodies by name: 

Sephora Collection Mini, Nougat

Dominque Cosmetics, Latte  

Colourpop, Making Mauves

Benefit, Hot Tea & Nude Beach

Bareminerals, Renew

Dirty Little Secrets, Kitty Pink (so close to done, I want to finish it!)

Clinique Cheek Pop, Nude Pop

NYX Sweet Cheeks, Taupe

Ciate Bamboo Bronzer, Palm Island

Mark by Avon, All the Highlights

-----------------------------------------

Too Faced Lipstick, Overexposed

Ciate Velvet Cloud Lip Powder, Blissful

Elf Balm Tint, Nude

NYX Lipstick, 1999

Mellow Cosmetics Lipstick, Nude

That's all, thanks for reading!

I agree with @itsfi I love your themes! Looks like the Sephora one is close to pan!

@Samtian -- Thanks so much. I think 2 of those SC shades have a dip, but the texture is that kind of shimmer that makes it hard to really know where it is, y'know?

@heavyhedon Mmm hmm!

@heavyhedon, you come up with the best themes! Makes panning and seeing your panning progress so much fun! 

Those palettes are beautiful! 😍

Thank you @itsfi! I really love all these palettes, and they're great for Fall too. I've been re-watching The X-Files, which put me in quite a mood for 90's shades of lipstick and eyeshadow, so this theme is playing into all that inspo now. 

@ElleElleG Hi, does this pan challenge start only at the start of the year (i.e. starts in Jan and ends in Dec 2022)? Or can one start a pan challenge anytime during the year? I have a product or two that I am working on panning with the end goal being before the period after opening (i.e. 12 months after opening). 

Thanks in advance for your reply. 😊

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg