Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Hi @Nahnom 👋🏾👋🏾 the challenge starts whenever you're ready to jump in 😉. There are no hard rules on how long your project has to run and you're allowed to change your mind along the way. As long as you're pushing yourself to get use out of an item or two (or 20), you're welcome to share here. I look forward to seeing your item and journey!

@Nahnom Can't wait to see what you have!

@Nahnom -- I'll second what @itsfi said, and motion carries! I'm sure you can adapt this to your own timeline. Welcome to the panning pool! 🌊

Hi @Nahnom, going to gently sneak in here and say join us! The more the merrier and it would be so much fun to see and hear about your pan projects.@ElleElleG can speak more to it, but I think that you can start panning and posting here anytime. Goals don't have to be for year end either. Some of us have panning projects that go on for years, and others have put together fun seasonal pan projects for themselves as well.

Thanks to @itsfi for the reminder to post an update haha.  This is Bones at the end of June. 

Bones End of June.jpg

@Samtian -- excellent! That is good pan and a deep dip.

@heavyhedon Thank you!!!

Ahhhh yeeaaahhh! 🙌🏼 Love seeing more and more of that pan @Samtian! 😍  Fabulous job!

@itsfi Thank you! It's fun to watch!

I'm a little late with my June update. Can you believe we're in the last half of the year already? How did that happpen so quickly?!!! 😮 My mid-point check-in will be a lengthier one since it includes an update on all my project pan items for 2022. 
6.30.2022 Pan 1a.jpg

Monthly Summary: For the most part, we're moving along at a good clip, with a few items really making significant strides and a handful that need to make some marked improvement quickly if I'm going to even come close to meeting the goal(s) I set out for them. Here are the details, with comments in spoilers. 
6.30.2022 Pan 1b.jpg
Spoiler
I'm a little more than half way through the Kiehl's Creme de Corps body lotion. I like having some variety in my lotions which can make it hard to keep this one top of mind, but I've found a system that has been working, for the most part - I give myself a lot of latitude with what body lotion I use in the mornings but make this Kiehl's one my go-to in the evenings. Placing it on my nightstand makes it even easier to reach for it.

Also on that nightstand are the innisfree Lip Sleeping Mask with Green Tea and the essie Apricot Nail & Cuticle Hydrator Oil. Panning these two items will be a question of when, not if, and that makes me happy.
6.30.2022 Pan 1c.jpg
Spoiler
I look to be on track for finishing up the amika Triple Rx Hair Mask by the end of the year. The same, however, cannot be said about the Sephora Collection Cleansing Scalp Scrub, but that's actually okay since my goal for this scrub was not so much to finish the tub as it was to put it to regular use. My scalp tends to be oilier in the summer months so that goal may be somewhat fulfilled since I'll probably be using this more often over the next few months. 
6.30.2022 Pan 1d.jpg
Spoiler
Look! We are soooooo close to finishing the Farmacy Very Cherry Bright Vitamin C serum. Sooooo close. Maybe by the end of this week if I put it to use everyday! The Trader Joe's Grapefruit Sugar Scrub and the Tom Ford Soleil Glow Foundation are in the same camp as the Sephora Collection scalp scrub in that both will see even more use over the next few months. 
6.30.2022 Pan 2.jpg
Spoiler
My progress on these two progress could be summed up best with a quote from Charles Dickens - "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times." lol. Floral Street Sunflower Pop Eau de Parfum is liquid sunshine. I carry this rollerball in my handbag and give myself a spritz when I need a pick me up. It smells like happiness and cheer, and I'm sure I'll finish it off well before the end of July.

The Hourglass Varnish Flash Highlighting Stick (Champagne Flash), on the other hand, doesn't seem to be making much noticeable progress. My goal was to put it to more regular use; I haven't really done that as much as I would have liked during the first half of the year, so I'll have to pick up the pace as we move into the last half. 
6.30.2022 Pan 3.jpg
Spoiler
The three items are the poster children for "slow and steady". Continuing to see a little more pan each month with the Tarte Paaarty blush - a far cry from where we stood with this one a few years ago.

We're inching along (surprisingly) with the belif moisturizing eye bomb. I find that using it as an all over moisturizer every so often has been good for making my way through this jar, and also for moisturizing my skin.

It doesn't look like it, but there is progress being made with the Westman Atelier Lip Suede - Les Nudes - at the moment, it looks like it's a race between the top and bottom shades for hitting pan first, which took me by surprise as my knee jerk reaction would be to pick that third shade as the frontrunner. Stay tuned. 
6.30.2022 Pan 4a.jpg
Spoiler
Progress on this set is really about extremes - it's either great progress or what progress? Eeek! The "needs improvement" crew includes the Sephora Collection Clean cream blush palette, which I like but cannot for the life of me get myself to reach for more than once or twice per month despite my best efforts. I'm going to have to come up with a better strategy to get some more use out of this item. Wondering how these would wear as lipstick or lip gloss. Hmmm... 🤔 Will play around with that idea this month.

Let’s start with the needs improvement crew first. Kosas Cloud Set Baked Setting & Smoothing Talc-Free Vegan Powder has been used maybe half a dozen times this year. Eek! I think I need to just use it as my solo setting powder for a month and see how that works out. I feel like I’ve suggested that to myself a couple of times already and didn’t follow through. Gonna try to stick to it this time. 🤞🏼

I’ve reached for the SC blush palette and the Chanel lip liner more often than the Kosas powder but still not as much as I should be or would like to be, so I’m adding those two items to the small handful of products I’m planning to give some special attention to in July.
6.30.2022 Pan 4c.jpg
Spoiler
Now for the good news. Where to start?

First we have the shadows from Natasha Denona Biba Eye Shadow Palette which I transferred to a smaller palette, for the time being. I get nervous traveling with the full size and this allows me to be mobile with it.👍🏼 My 2022 goal was to full pan 3 shadows and hit pan on a new one. The bottom row here will be my focus for the full pans. At the moment, Seed or Coco seem like they’ll be my best chances for a new pan. I’m hoping a front runner will makes itself known among these two over the next couple of months. 🤞🏼
6.30.2022 Pan 4b.jpg
Spoiler
The surprise of the month was the Guerlain lip balm. I didn’t think I was as far along as I was, and was happily surprised when this happened. 😍 I’ve been using a lip brush to work my way through the last little bit. Even with incorporating other lip balms to my routine, there’s still a really good chance this’ll be finished before Labor Day weekend. I’m excited!

And now, drum roll please … Touch in Sol No Poreblem Primer is D-O-N-E! Yessss!! This is one I would repurchase, but I want to first work my way through a couple of DS primers similar to this one.
There you have it, fellow panners! One down for the year! 🎉 It feels like I’m generally in good shape with many of my project pan products heading into this latter half of 2022. Looking at the progress at the half-way point, it looks like most of these items will be finished close to the end of the year, though I'm hopeful that we see more full pan items before the fall season arrives, with a few as early as the end of July or August. 

What an update. @itsfi -- if the devil is in the details, you are on fire here!

Wicked good pan on that palette. Congrats on the No PoreBlem and especially on the Guerlain lippy--  proof that everyone needs a lip brush sometimes. There's so much here, I want to discuss every little thing but I'll spare you that, LOL. I'm having similar issues with my panning powder, only mine is really just too light right now to use anywhere but under my eyes; I'm thinking of making it into a loose powder instead of a compact for better texture. That way I can also mix a little with a darker pigment to use all summer, too.

That scent sounds wonderful. When I was a teen, Avon had a sunflower scent I loved, and I missed that for years.

Thank you @heavyhedon! 😁 I had thought about breaking up the post into a few different posts but ended up just keeping it all together and trying to be brief with my write up on how things going with each of the items. 

Oh goodness, discuss away. You have such great ideas with panning, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Out of curiosity, with your pressed powder, if you were to convert it to a loose powder, would you do that with the entire product or just a portion of it? After I read that, it got me thinking about that Kosas powder and whether that might be something that could work for me. 

I'm also thinking about making my own lip gloss of sorts with some of the SC cream blushes and the innisfree lip mask. My lip brush would see more use too if I did this. lol. Maybe I'll give it a try for the rest of the month. Thanks so much for kick-starting these ideas.  

Great idea on the cream blushes! Coconut oil is great for that as well, but defeats the goal of ending the lip mask! Lol 

@immommaosoirish, oh, excellent idea about the coconut oil; thank you. There's plenty of cream blush to use up 😂 and I will give it a try with coconut oil to see which I like more, though I have a feeling I'll like both. 

@itsfi -- Well, previously used up the "warm" version of that same ELF powder compact this way a few years ago. It got smashed, so I ground it up fine and added a little cool brown shade to it so I had a powder for when I was, haha, tan. Used it up fast that way, when it might have sat collecting dust otherwise, as it really didn't work as face powder for me before.

But I might portion this out to separate containers-- one straight up for using under the eyes year 'round, another with added warmth, and maybe keep some for the next idea that hits me. I have many little containers handy.

"I have many little containers handy." lol @heavyhedon! It's funny how they accumulate so quickly too, isn't it? There's just something about mini containers. 🛍

@itsfi I was really mad at you for a second, I was like where did that palette come from?!?! She's been hiding that all along?! Until read about it later haha. Congrats on the primer!!

Hahaha! 😆 There’s no way I would hide a project pan product from you or our panning pals, @Samtian! Y’all are my support system in this; 📣 I wouldn’t haven’t gotten half as far as I have if I didn’t have the pan it! challenge! I’ll put the shadows back in the regular ND Biba palette again at some point; having them all here has been helpful when I just want to grab a palette on my way out the door, to do a quick eye look when I get to work, before my day starts. 

@itsfi That's a really smart and convenient idea!

I'm so excited to finally hit pan on my Tarte highlighter!!!

IMG_20220703_170205523.jpg

 it's a little baby in the pic, but I've used it again and now I'm even more excited 🤣

I see the pan! No easy task with any Tarte product, @lmaster . 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette