Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

@itsfi Thank you! Thankfully this one spilled out a lot one day haha so I don't have too much to work on. 

@Samtian, it’s progress and it counts. This is one of those times where our special gift for fumbling things works for our advantage. 😆 

@itsfi Haha yep! Which reminds me, the other night at work I had a pail full of powder potatoes, I was on a third floor, that pail went flying out of my hands and crashed onto the second floor and sent powder everywhere! It ended up working out because the pail got bent and fit into an area we could really use it at. 

Hahaha! This made me lol @Samtian! I keep picturing it happening in slow motion, like a scene from a movie. That’s so funny that the damaged pail ends up being the perfect fit. 😂 

@itsfi I'm just glad no one was around and hopefully no one saw it on camera haha. 

I’ve been running an offline pan project, but I’m gonna be taking it to the thread now too!

Goals

- finish 25 makeup products 

- finish 1 fragrance product (these are the hardest for me usually)

- finish 75 products 

bonus: hit one pan in each of my palettes 

in past years, I’ve panned: 78 items in 2019 (started in April 2019), 126 items in 2020 and only 59 in 2021. In 2020, I had a lot of minis and samplers that I went through. By 2021, those were used up, and because of my low/no buy, I had accumulated less minis and deluxe samples. 

In 2022 to date, I’ve panned 26 items, including 10 makeup items! I’m mostly going through FS, which is why it’s taking longer. Somehow my Minis are the ones lingering the longest this time around!

here’s what I’m focusing on for the summer:

image.jpg

 progress definitely has been made on the SDJ, LM highlighter, TF peach blur, bite lip mask, fenty gloss and laneige mask! The palette I’m going to be focusing on in June is the UD naked cyber. I’ve had it for 6-7 months and I’m determined to make it work for me, and give it a fair Shot

Wow, floored by your goals and success, @cianni , and I'll be watching the progress of the Peach Blur closely-- I have one too, and kinda scared of trying to use it up, but it's getting to that age, you know?

@heavyhedon Thank you! I find I only really got into the peach blur once I was forced to because of how long i had had it! I realized I wasn’t using it properly, which is why it was hanging around so long. I’ve been using it in a few ways: to set my primer (it doesn’t really leave too much tint, and anything it does is neutralized by my foundation), on top of foundation that I bought before realizing my undertone (makes it a little pinker/a better match), as a blush primer for peachy blushes, and to help set the under eye because the pink tone color corrects. Ive seen people use blush and pink toned powders for their under eye lately, so Ive been trying to mimic that technique with products I already had. Hope this helps you work through yours too ☺️

@cianni --Interesting! I found it worked best as a finishing touch for me, actually, and I was BUMMED at how it looked on my undereye area, just didn't help there at all; I'm too pale, it showed up strongly peachy, but maybe I'll try using without any concealer underneath, so it's more explicitly corrective.  Thanks for the ideas, it can't hurt for me to put some effort into finding wider uses.

@heavyhedon It might be a nice wash of color on the lids too! It doesn’t work for my skin tone, but if you’re on the paler side it might look cute!

@cianni That's a good idea! Probably wouldn't be the worst eye base in the world either, now I think about it. 

Tags:

Wow @cianni! That's awesome that you've hit pan on 10 makeup items this year! 🙌  Impressive!! 😍 Love your perspective on the UD Naked Cyber palette. Giving a product a fair shot is an excellent way to know whether it makes sense to keep working through it or moving on to something else.

@itsfi It’s all about perspective! The pan project is fun for me because it forces me to get a little creative with how I use products. I’ve been using some of the cyber shades as blush toppers and highlights! Jury is still out on how I like it as an eyeshadow palette though 🤔

Great job!! And wonderful goals @cianni 

@cianni Wow! I can't wait to watch the progress, glad you brought it online!

image.jpg

Closer view of the June starting points!

April update, so late! 

Well, my Early Spring is Peachy-Keen mini-pan went well. With an exhaustive list of peach blushes to use each day till they were all used, and other peachy makeup to use daily, I ended up using every single blusher twice or more, and every peachy makeup item at least once. It was fun, and nice to not have to think beyond that for color. I paired the peachy eye palettes with a basic one to fill in, the Morphe Everyday Chic, and that was so easy to use I didn't bother to switch it out at all. 

As for my year 'round stuff, there's progress on a few items but nothing noticeable except for the ELF Hydrating Water Essence, which has been used daily at least once. Here's the latest level: amarosa 001.JPG

My base product sampling has not yielded any empties, but we're close.  Ironically, I've finished two mini and one full size face powders I didn't have in any project. Silly me. 

I did have ideas for a shorter seasonal thing for May but decided to take May off extra panning. 

June will start a new one though-- stay tuned!

@heavyhedon, love your seasonal pan project and I love your names for them - makes panning even more fun! You're doing splendidly with that elf toner. It's so great and encouraging to see what progress comes from daily use. Slow and steady really is an excellent formula. 

Ha! Love it that you've hit pan on other products as well. I've found that since I started with panning projects that it really helps me work through all my other items as well, which is amazing!

@itsfi -- TY! I'm feeling like the Elf essence is perfectly on target to be finished by the end of the year if not a bit sooner. Then, I guess I'll have to switch back to May Coop's Raw Sauce again, if it's still available anywhere.

@heavyhedon, I rarely get to a TJ Maxx or Marshall's anymore as the ones (or maybe it was just one) in the city have closed, but I recall seeing both elf skincare products, including that toner, and the May Coop Raw Sauce there on occasion; the latter has popped up during the holiday season - same formula but in special holiday packaging.

@itsfi -- ooh, thanks for the tip.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg