Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

@itsfi -- that's too bad about the lipstick, I've had that happen to me several times too. It's cool to see all these products disappearing month by month. 

@heavyhedon, I was bummed since I was looking forward to using the lipstick more. Definitely a reminder to not let products I've opened to sit for too long. I've been using it as motivation for my other makeup and for being more mindful of purchases. 

@itsfi Great work!

Thank you @Samtian! As you said, it’s a slow and steady pace, but it will pay off! 👍🏼 

Nice progress on everything @itsfi. The innisfree especially! I haven’t been following, but I am curious where Spot from Biba has run off to.

@eshoe, it had a tragic accident. I rarely use black eyeshadow so it’s fine though still sad.

Ah, ok, thank you @itsfi. They seem to be plentiful, yes. 

Looks like you're making good progress, @itsfi 🙂

@CookieGirl1, thank you. Just chipping away at things. I’ve been surprised at some of the products that seem to be moving faster or as well as the ones moving slower than I thought they would. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Ouch @itsfi, glad you identified the culprit and didn't force yourself to keep using that Doll Hospytal lipstick! Is it weird to enjoy finding products that no longer work for you and just letting them go instead of forcing yourself to continue using it to "get your money's worth"?

@ElleElleG, that is exactly it! Project Pan has been more than just a fun way to not just use my products and work through them but  to assess whether something really should be among the beauty products that I have (and that latter part spills into other areas, not just beauty products). 

When I first started project pan a couple of years ago, I was so determined to work through a product, maybe stubbornly determined. It feels so much better now that I can just let go and move on and not, as you so perfectly put it, “force myself to continue to use it to get my money’s worth.” Thank you! You, the panners, and the project pan threads have played a significant role in making that possible. For me, Project Pan is and has been as much about using what I have as it is a good lesson / reminder about being more thoughtful about the initial purchase. ♥️ 

I noticed a dip in this beauty! I have been working on the three shades in the first row this month for my brow bone project. I have also used those and the GVXE quad for my work days. I think this one is going to stay left out and used on work days more often. 

Bones Dip April 1.jpgBones Dip April 2.jpg

@Samtian -- the dip is visible to me too. 

@heavyhedon I'm excited to watch it grow!

Cheers to the dips, may you see pan in your near future @Samtian 

@ElleElleG Thank you! I can't wait!

Ohhh yes, yes, yes @Samtian🙌 That first noticeable dip is such a great feeling! I was so excited when I saw your post and photo - even more excited to see that dip grow! 😎

@itsfi Thank you!! Slow but steady and I'll win the race. 

Yes you will @Samtian! 👊🏼 

At the start I said I wouldn't bombard the thread with like a hundred photos haha, but I'd share when I have used everything in a photo. I'm happy to report I have my first completed one! It's just bath bombs but still I'm excited. 

Bath Bombs 2 After.jpg

Yay for more baths having bombed, @Samtian 

Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg