Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

I did use it a couple times,, but it was rough 😐 @heavyhedon 

🎄Colors of Christmas🎄 Update--

Last update before the finale of this meta-pan on Feb. 2nd.  

Have made usage goals +, on Urban Decay Naked Skin Highlighting Fluid Luminous (shimmery white), & Avon Glazewear Summer Sheers Lip Gloss in Sheer Envy (sheer green with multi-sparkle), and made 2/3 uses of the Avon Fruity Lip Juice in Pineapple. The first use was over a lipstick and I had no problems. The second time, I used it straight onto dry lips, and a few seconds later, my tender lips were starting to burn and hurt. Tossed it, it's at least five years old, maybe more, so fare thee well, Pineapple. 

Just have a few days left in this mini pan, but decided to roll in a couple more items anyhoo, each to be used three times, which means everyday from today to Feb. 2nd. 

First, yet another gloss, the Jouer Long-Wear Lip Topper in Skinny Dip, a molten glittery gold, and a shade from Pixi +Louise Roe's Cream Rouge Palette, for lips & cheeks-- I'm using the second shade from the left, second row from the bottom-- a nice bright red, 'natch, called LA Sunset. I have hardly used any of these yet, but the formula is good-- very pigmented but blends out to a glow easily, and builds nicely.  

Spoiler
Pretty shades!Pretty shades!Golden gleam of the glossGolden gleam of the gloss

Thanks for reading!

@heavyhedon Ooh that is really pretty!

@Samtian --yes, this gloss also smells like cupcakes. Always a plus.

@heavyhedon it smells like cupcakes?? 👀 Ima gonna have to look into that at some point. 😍 @Samtian 

@heavyhedon everything looks so pretty

@lmaster -- Yes, as always, I'm a sucker for nice clean lines or fancy packaging. 

Month-end update :

I’m chugging along with the Hourglass ambient lighting palette and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer. I feel like I can actually use up the Hourglass palette by next month or so and the bronzer before the end of the year.

Buuuuuut this Naked palette is killing me 😭😭😭 I’ve used it 90% of the times I’m wearing makeup - on its own, mixing it with other palettes, as other uses and I’m honestly not loving it. Ugh. I’m going to declutter and pick something else to replace it. 

A398A572-4782-4072-A381-E654899D0A0C.jpeg

EA7E9666-0CD5-4D5F-B97E-F0DBD6316B72.jpeg

B07F1E55-BE10-4635-AAB5-20D7D2F0C2A5.jpeg

E3CF9BA0-8022-45C6-8193-CB449CD0D784.jpeg

Amazing progress on those cheek products, @AznAngelLiz!! Sorry to hear the palette isn't working out, a good effort in a pan is usually a good indicator that it's time to pass along. 

@AznAngelLiz Ooh wow good job! 

Wow @AznAngelLiz, you're killing it with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette - that's not an easy one to pan - impressive. And the TF bronzer, too. You are doing an awesome job! 

I really appreciate that you've decided to declutter the UD Naked palette after putting in all the effort you did to try to make it work for you. There will be products that just don't work for us and I like your approach of moving past it and finding another item to pan. Will be keeping that in mind with some of the products that I trudge along after.

Sorry to hear it's that painful to use it @AznAngelLiz well... On to the next 😉

@AznAngelLiz Wow! Amazing progress there 🙂 you're doing great! Also, eyeshadow palettes are probably the most difficult items to pan (even if you do love the palette) so don't be too hard on yourself about the Naked palette. Honestly, I have so many palettes that have barely even been touched... which reminds me, I should do a palette no-buy for the rest of the year. 😁

@AznAngelLiz 

Kudos on the massive progress, and on your thorough use of that palette-- when you know you don't even like it anymore, that is a great lesson to take from your from panning! 

@AznAngelLiz Bravo on the Hourglass palette. It’s seriously hard when we are trying to pan something we don’t love. I try to mix up the love and not so love one. You can always declutte the palette. 

@AznAngelLiz Great panning progress!

A few changes to my panning project.

The Etude House Double Lasting Foundation was leaking stored sideways in my drawer so I’m focusing on it rather than the Innisfree cushion though both have been in my rotation.

The Jill Stuart and Benefit Bad Gal primers are finished and have been replaced with YSL Touche Éclat Blur Primer. 
The Yensa concealer was too yellow and the Dior was too dark and Pink so I combined them and added white base and am using them from the orange travel case:)  So far so good.  
I went through the one vial of perfume quickly so added three more.  I LOVE Not a Perfume and have somehow been able to wear it for years without actually buying it.  

C2B4905F-B561-4724-90DA-494AAC1535C5.jpeg

27B2C18C-4276-4E46-ACA1-F52FB87B346C.jpeg

@heartsmyface Ooh great progress!!

@heartsmyface Dang that was fast! I was just commenting on the Bad Gal primer a couple pages back and you're already done LOL

@AznAngelLiz  Ha yeah I went through it faster than I expected.  it did pill a little but I really liked the way it brightened and added glow to my complexion.  I absolutely hate the delivery though. It’s still something I would buy again if I came across it, but the tube with holes is unnecessary and I’d repackage it again for more convenient use.

@heartsmyface great job!! Always find myself mixing and matching 😆

Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg