Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

22 in 2022, love it so much, @itsfi!! What a great collection of products!! 

Thank you @haleyvvvv! 😃 It’ll be good to work though these, or to figure out which to declutter. 

@itsfi Wonderful selection of products and I love how you separated them into different goal categories.  That Amkia hair mask is my favourite as well.  Nothing else ever quite comes as close to perfect for me.  I have to check if I have any more left... I too may have hoarded a few.... lol.  I'm super curious about the SC cream blush and how quickly that moves along.  Do you have a shade you think you'll aim for yet?

Thank you @missjeanie! 🤗 I’m all on board the “no hoarding” train; whether I can stay on it all year, well, that’s a different story. 😂

For the cream blush, my plan is use the palette in my rotation of makeup for 3 months to see which shade I naturally gravitate towards most - that’ll end up being the one I will target for panning. I used a similar approach with Biba when I first put it up for panning. It gets me into the habit of reaching for and using the palette without so much pressure to work on one shade so early on. 

@itsfi Go big or go home 😂 I totally have faith that you can do it! 

@AznAngelLiz, haha! Thank you! 😃 I’m a smidge nervous with having all these to work on, but baby steps! 😂  Some of these should probably have been put to more use long before this. I’m hoping project pan will help me reach for a few them more frequently and maybe even get into a routine with using them. 🤞🏼 Project pan, here we come! 😊 

Wow! Great goals! You got this! @itsfi 💪💪💪

Thank you @sister13! 😃 Putting it out here will hopefully motivate me more to work on a few of these things more consistently. 

Woohoo, 22 in '22, that's bold & beautiful @itsfi . I like your panning style! Looking forward to watching you knock back this lot.

Awww, thank you @heavyhedon🤗 Not gonna lie, I'm scared. 😬 I kept thinking "you really shouldn't have waited until now to do this, Fi - it would have been a lot easier if to pan 5 products in 2005 - hahaha!). Eh, I'll give it a good try and see how it goes. At worst, I'll have some products that need to be decluttered or re-homed - that wouldn't be so bad. 😉 

@itsfi hahahaha 5 in 2005 that made me laugh. 

@itsfi  Great product choices! Can’t wait to see your progress!

Thank you @BluePaisley🤗 I'm hoping this will give me the structure I need to stay the course but also allow for some flexibility to use other things without getting too distracted and to focus on some other items during the year. 

Good luck Panners! I will post my obligatory message: I’ve only ever hit pan on one item in my life, which is a MAC face powder that I still find in an old purse from time to time, so I never really have any panning goals. I am always amazed and in awe at @ElleElleG‘s panning prowess, along with the rest of you! 

However, I have definitely been better this year about trying/trying again, and decluttering/binning/giving away, things that I don’t love or don’t work for me.

I hope to continue that trend in 2022! Good luck and have fun! 

Thanks @sister13 💕 Decluttering/passing items on is so hard, I've been putting off going through my lipsticks for ages and what better time than now? Even though I know several are no longer wearable (and I rarely wear anything now with masking) I'm like ehhhh maybe next week 🙃

And yes, I bet all of us have way more lipstick than is reasonable for living in pandemic times! Who could ever have imagined this. @ElleElleG 

True @sister13 !

I have at least gotten better at least of discerning if something really isn’t working for me to declutter it. But otherwise, anything I like is basically staying with me forever unless is goes visually off! @ElleElleG 

Ah yes letting go of something that doesn't work is a tad easier (sometimes 😅). Visual and some smells, I had one lip product (blanking on the name) that I started to smell despite it being closed @sister13 now that one I tossed super quick.

"powder I still find in an old purse from time to time"

I had a good laugh when I read that @sister13! It's all too real. I try to go through and clear out a few handbags every so often and whenever I do I can probably put together a full face of makeup with all the products that come out from pockets, the bottom of the bag, etc. 😂

Oh yes! Me too! I am constantly thinking (clearly erroneously) that I will have a perfectly organized small travel bag with all the mini essentials. However, I am also constantly finding myself without the ONE dang thing I need on the rare occasion I need it. Like, one day, I took my husbands car and somehow left the house without mascara, despite having two minis in my own car. I had work pictures that day, so I had to stop at Walgreens (where I waited for 7 minutes and it didn’t open on time as the manager was MIA, according to the  did show up). Then went to Out of the way Target, where I got to cash wrap and had forgotten my wallet, had to run back out to the car and back in. I was seriously so annoyed at myself because basically all my hurrying was a completely false economy. 

The cashier at Target said her dad used to say “the hurrier you are, the slower you’ll go” or something like that. Ugh, the struggle is real. @itsfi 

On another note, I kept trying to buy another Studio Skin powder like the longest-living magical powder that I have hit pan on, but all the others have gotten annoyingly hard-panned and tossed. @itsfi 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette