cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

2021 Challenge located here: Pan It! - 2021 Challenge 🏆

It's time for a new decade, and a new Project Pan!

Before we dive into the details, I want to thank each and every one of you for joining me in another year of panning.  I cannot believe that this thread marks the 4th year of this challenge and how much it has grown over the years.  It's been a joy to witness so many of you participate and encourage others along the way.  For those of you thinking, "there's no way I can do that," think again!  We've all said that at one time or another, and some of the biggest skeptics have grown to take panning by storm.  Thank you all for your never ending inspiration 😘. Cheers to a new decade 🥂-Elle

Image result for hello 2020

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

@Samtian  Awesome!! I’ve been doing the same with face cleansers. I have them all on my sink counter to remind me!

@ather That is a smart idea!

@Samtian 

Would love to know how you're liking the Buxom one!

@RAWRitsRED Oh I really love it. I'm super bummed because it's discontinued. 

My progress through July:

Origins, Kerastase and StackedSkincareOrigins, Kerastase and StackedSkincare

Spoiler
Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Honey Mask to Purify and Nourish
Goal: Use up by end of November (9 months from when I first included it as part of my project pan)
Status Update (8.1.2020): The struggle with maskne is real. As a result, I reached for this mask so much more frequently than I have in the past, which is the main reason this one is DONE! It worked very well for my skin to include it as part of my weekly routine as well as a spot treatment. I need to finish up a couple more jars of open wash-off masks but this one will likely be repurchased during the fall sale. 

Kerastase Nutritive 8H Magic Night Serum
Goal: Finish bottle by end of August, which would be 6 months from when I included this as part of my project pan. The bottle was 75% full when I started.
Status Update (8.1.2020): I think I may actually get through this product in a few weeks. Motivated.

StackedSkincare Hydrating Lip Peel
Goal: Use 2-3x per week until the end of September and decide whether to keep or get rid of it.
Status Update (8.1.2020): I don't need to wait until September to know how I feel about this as a lip peel. Of all the exfoliating lip products I have, this one's been the albatross around my neck. Halfway through July, I decided to remove the roller ball and use a lip brush to apply this onto my lips, let it dry down and then slather either Lanolips or Aquaphor over my lips. This seems to have made the bitter chemical taste that I can't seem to escape more tolerable. I feel bad about tossing the product so I'm going to keep with it this month, but I'm repurposing this on my elbows and/or the soles of my feet. Stay tuned to see how this experiment goes . . . 

Butter London, Primark, and Sephora CollectionButter London, Primark, and Sephora Collection

Spoiler
Butter London Horse Power Nail Fertilizer
Goal: Use up by end of the year and decide whether or not to repurchase
Status Update (8.1.2020): Including this in my project pan has helped me use it as intended, though some weeks are better than others - it's helped to keep it next to my computer. I'm making progress and it looks like I should be able to use up the bottle by year end if I keep up with it. The best part is that my nails are looking and feeling healthier and stronger. Yay!

Primark PS Sleeping Beauty Overnight Nail Mask
Goal: Use up by end of the year
Status Update (8.1.2020): This smells wonderful, is easy to apply and dries down fast so it's fairly effortless to use. I don't use it as frequently as the Butter London as the progress shows. It may be just a bit of a stretch to get through this one by year end, but I will try.

Sephora Collection Coconut Water Hydrating Spray
Goal: Use up by Labor Day
Status Update (8.1.2020): I'm not sure my initial goal to use this up by Labor Day is going to come to fruition. The mist isn't bad; smells nice and the mist itself is pretty good. I have a handful of mists that I rotate through and this one seems to get overlooked. I'll extend my goal to finishing it up by the end of the year and think about ways to motivate myself to reach for it more and/or ways to re-purpose it. I'm open to any suggestions you lovelies may have.

Natasha DenonaNatasha Denona

Spoiler
Natasha Denona Biba Eye Shadow Palette
Goals
  • Long-Term: Initially, it was to hit pan on one of these shadows, which I did with a few shadows. I'm interested in seeing how much of the Tusk shadow I'll get through by year end. My long-term goal is to put every one of these shadows to use by the end of the year, such that there's noticeable usage with each shadow.
  • Short-Term: My current short-term goal is to hit pan either Freckle or Tone before the official start of fall. Doesn't look like it'll happen, but we'll see how far I get. 🙂
Status Update (8.1.2020): I've slacked on my eye makeup in July, so not a lot of progress. Will try to do better in August!

Tarte Blush Paarty
Goal: I initially gave myself until June (and extended it to the start of fall) to get into habit of using blush again on a more regular basis; and to see how I like this color/formula
Status Update (8.1.2020)If this blush were a person or pet, I'd feel awful for how I've neglected it. 🙁 I don't think I even glanced in its direction in July. I mean, I didn't even pick it up to take a photo of how little progress I've made. Sigh. Do better, Fi!

@itsfi  I love how you set goals to use everything up!!  I definitely should as well.  I haven’t used much eyeshadow in July either. 

@ather, I’m finding that for some, many, products, I need to set a goal or I’ll get easily distracted and move on to something else. Even short term goals are helpful, especially to get me started if I’m just not use to reaching for a product - aiming for 2 - 3x times per week is a lot easier to manage for a month and is less daunting for me than saying I’ll form a habit of using a product by the end of the month. 

@itsfi 

I love how you always use the eyeshadow palette from the corner!  I never thought it'd look so aesthetically pleasing!

Thank you @RAWRitsRED! 🤗  I wish I could say I knew or had an idea it would photo well, but no. 😆 For whatever reason, I start in the corner with my eye shadows or most eye shadow palettes. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Occasionally,  it’ll be the inner corners, like with a quad. Weird, huh?! 😝😂 

@itsfi Great idea!

@itsfi  Oh haha that's so cool!  I'm used to seeing people start from the center of the eyeshadow!

RE: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

Just a few things as we head into August! The GLAMGLOW cleanser is honestly one of my favorite skincare products I’ve ever used, and it came in a subscription box—so happy it was a full size because I would gladly repurchase in the future! I did get the new Herbivore cleanser though. Also I’m down to lip products that I really really enjoy; I think pinks are my true color but Amulet was still great! July 2020 Empties: -Peter Thomas Roth Hungarian Thermal Water Mineral-rich Atomic Heat Mask 7.5 ml/0.25 fl oz -Christophe Robin Hydrating Shampoo with Aloe Vera foil 12 ml/0.41 fl oz -Tatcha The Rice Polish Calming Foaming Enzyme Powder foil 1 g/0.04 oz -destashed: Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Amulet - Metallized 3.25 ml/0.11 oz (approx 85% finished, it’s been a good run but it’s a bit dark for my taste even though it’s a flattering color) -GLAMGLOW Gentlebubble Daily Conditioning Cleanser 150 ml/5 oz

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

@KeriCherryDee  Awesome job!

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

So impressed with how you’ve done with UD Amulet @KeriCherryDee! 🌟 Do you think adding a gloss or another lip color to lighten Amulet would give you a color that’s more suitable to your lip shade preferences? 

RE: Re: RE: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

@itsfi thanks! You’re doing great with all your goals too! Amulet has a warmth/brownness to it that I think would get muddied if I mixed it with a different color, plus the metallic finish is tricky. It’s been fun and I’ve got three lip products now that I really really really enjoy, so I’m happy letting it go before it’s 100% used

Re: RE: Re: RE: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

Oooh, what new lip products 💄 are you loving @KeriCherryDee? 😍😍😍 Sorry if you’ve answered that already. 

IMG_3974.jpg    above - These are my empties/declutter items from the last update. Most everything is an empty except for the Physician's Formula concealer, Ulta Dual Ended Eyeshadow, and the Ulta face primer. The face primer was a free deluxe sample with faulty packaging, so I never got to use it because the applicator and all of the contents popped out when I tried to use it. I am decluttering the concealer because it started to mold after 2 months on the sponge applicator. As for the eyeshadow duo, it didn't show up super well nor was the application great. It faded within the hour with a primer. Everything else was great and would definitely consider repurchasing, except for the powder. And that's because I largely don't use powder any more to set my makeup.

IMG_3976.jpg   Above - These are the products I'm working on. I enjoy the color and texture of the Kaja blush, but I'm not a fan of the stamp applicator and how that bulks up the packaging. I'm trying to use up as much as I can before the Sept. expiry date. I also had to depot the Milk Makeup Bronzer because it wouldn't twist up.

@Kaylabr  Great job getting through so much!! 

Thank you, @ather!

Wow; you’re doing great @Kaylabr👍🏼 Those are some fab products you’re working on! 😍 What is the lippie in the second photo, between the Tarte liner and the Fenty lip shine? 

@itsfi Thank you so much! I've been really enjoying working through everything and finding new ways to use and combine products. It's the Colourpop Cream Blush Stick in Roosevelt. I haven't tried to use it as a lipstick yet, but now that you mention it I think it would be great for that as well!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos189
  • December 2019
  • I am going to join for 2020 these are my products. I also have a lot of perfume samples I want to use up.
  • Snapseed.jpg
  • 80962039_490329748286306_3239451337519267840_n.jpg
  • 20200102_233040.jpg
testing