Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿพ Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you arenโ€™t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, Iโ€™m certain youโ€™ll see some changes ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades youโ€™re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of othersโ€™ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Donโ€™t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  Itโ€™s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be funโ€ฆ.if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you donโ€™t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

@ElleElleGThanks! Yep they usually do get neglected. Even though some of them are my favorites! Forgotten...favorites...

so this year i'm trying to focus on my oldest products while still rotating in a few things.  as some of you know i'm a tad obsessive and my inventory is colour coded based on what year items were purchased, so you'll see that i've separated stuff into colours below.  i want to get some use out of the older products before i have to pay for their funeral.  i've decided at the end of every 3 months i'm going to decide if i'm going to keep working on something, take a break from it or declutter the bugger! 

purple (2015)

starting with 14 items 

working on 6Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.58.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.59.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.59.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.59.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.01.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.02.08 PM.png

pink (2016)

starting with 143 items 

working on 15Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.58.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.59.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.00.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.00.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.01.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.01.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.01.39 PM.png

yellow (2017)

starting with 182 items 

working on 7Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.58.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.58.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 5.59.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.00.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.00.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.00.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 6.01.05 PM.png

Seriously you all blowing me out the water with the items you're planning to work on!

Love you've preplanned a re-evaluation period so you can declutter as you go (if needed) as opposed to hoarding until the end of the year @sparklekai

i figured having a bunch would keep me from getting board quickly @ElleElleG...hopefully that works!!!!  i will say that we're only on day 8 of the new year and i already have 2 items that are already on the chopping block...i'm giving them this month but if they don't shape up they're shipping out! 

Already?!? Well if they aren't living up to expectations then bye-bye, on to the next @sparklekai

IMG_4427.jpeg

@ElleElleG see those swatches?  no? ME EITHER!!! that was 5 brush swatches!!!

Related image

okay that's truly terrible @sparklekai

@sparklekai I have that same blush and sample of the TF milk chocolate soleil in my pan plan too ๐Ÿ˜‚ now that you put years on them, seems kinda scary Iโ€™ve held on for so long and theyโ€™re still as full as they are!! 

@cianni colour coding was my mat leave project and really is an eye opener!  glad to have a buddy on these babies...especially that blush! i feel like its going to take forever!

@sparklekaiThat is such a good idea keeping track of the years. I always have stuff I can't remember how old it is.

I love seeing your updates regarding the pan it challenge! It inspires me to also finish items that are already on their way out and shopping my stash. I'm excited to see your progress as you update us. ๐Ÿ™‚ @sparklekai

thanks @HelenBT!  it took me a long time to get past my hoarding mentality and actually start using products!  they're all just so pretty and shiny things get me every time.  

It took me 4 days of hard thinking to decide that I wasn't going to stray too far from my 2018 goals and keep some of the current momentum going for 2019. Also added some old projects and items that I want gone to use them, as well as categories I don't focus on to help motivate me! It's easy to add something in I know I'll pan, but I wanted a challenge to use things up. Some of these will be quick and others might take the whole year. 

goals to finish blue and pan green itemsgoals to finish blue and pan green items

blue=finish - green=pan

Top left clockwise

• Kenra styling putty. It's possible I've had this jar for 5 years. I use it in waves and recently have been using it more. It is close to gone but a tiny bit goes a long way and I have a backup that I don't want to store for another two years.
  • Herbivore rose spray. Another thing I use in waves. I have grabbed for it more since I put it in the pan blitz and it's hammer time!
  • Hourglass strobe light. I really didn't realize how far I'd come on this until I had it open next to a nearly new hourglass bronzer. I'm not far from pan! The teensy sliver of baby pan edge in the corner doesn't count, I want it all! Seeing hourglass pans is so satisfying and this is my year. Not using any other highlight until this is gone except to travel with an all in one palette.
  • Viseart Theory Nuance. This was my four day hold-up.. Do I include or not? My internal conflict- I LOVE THIS SO MUCH (it's about what it sounds like) and I am pretty much dead set right now that for my wedding either I will do my makeup or someone else, but with this romantic beaut of a palette included. So I wanted to baby it. But it's not a LE and currently stocked online, so there's no reason I can't love this one and keep exploring with it now. So I wish to hit pan on it this year and grab a backup to keep around for the big day when pan time comes near. Wedding is 5/20 so I'm sure I'll find about 204710 more looks I have to have between now and then anyways ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Natasha Denona blush and glow. Love the blush. I had similar feelings with this as above, but I have a backup of it I received in the secret santa so I'm going to keep loving it and play away knowing that there's more. Hoping to pan it this year. I'm a little less than halfway through currently. 
  • LORAC POTC palette. Carry over from  2018. I want to finish bold spirit (panned) and pan caribbean 
  • Becca backlight priming filter. I started 2018 with this in my project also and then got hot and cold with it, but I'm committing to using and finishing this year. 
  • 3 mini lippies. I rarely add lip products into my project because I'm really terrible at using them up, which is why I want to use them up. I'm starting with bite verbena, bite rhubarb, and MUFE 43. The bite colors are pretty natural and easy to wear. The MUFE is a red shade which might be more challenging for me. I'll look funny in just lipstick on no makeup/sweats days around the house ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • LORAC pro 3. Also a carry over from 2018. It's an easy everyday palette for me. This is definitely the least challenging item for me in comparison, but I want to keep the momentum going! There's about a dozen shades left in it I want to finish/pan and also want to explore the other shades I don't reach for. I'm excited to use this down and make room to explore other things in my collection.
  • Magnetic palette. I want to focus back on the tarte park ave princess bronzer. It's easy for me to use the one in the LORAC POTC palette because it's open and in front of me most days, but I want to keep focusing on reaching for this and using it down. 

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

You crushed it in 2018 @CC3616 so 2019 better be quaking in its boots; can't wait to watch your progress!

In the interest of being a better adult, saving some money, and truly appreciating the really great stuff I already have, I am dipping my toe into this thread! @ElleElleG, keep me strong!

I am starting by rediscovering my Naked Basics palette. I've had it for sometime and have some decent dips into W.O.S and starting with Naked 2. So I am committed to this palette for the month of January (with add-ins from other palettes for look variation) and will report back.

Starting pictures:

20190101_135546.jpg20190101_135556.jpg

Image result for squeal gif

@NotCrocker . so so so happy to have you with us!  Btw, thanks for making me choke while reading that "being a better adult" part, HA!

You definitely have some promising dips going, and bringing in other palettes will definitely relieve some of the monotony that comes with smaller palettes.  Can't wait to watch your progress!! (BTW, try putting your brush in roughly the same area each time you use it to help you unveil that pan)

that's a good idea to use that all month long along with...

that's a good idea to use that all month long along with some other palettes ๐Ÿ˜‰@NotCrocker

Good luck @NotCrocker!! I am excited to see how your palette looks at the end of the month! My palette for January is the TOO FACED - The Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

@NotCrocker That was one of the hardest palettes for me to work on because I rarely do a matte only look. I did it a couple years ago and ended up decluttering it! Bravo to you, Excited to see your progress.

I was SOOO excited this morning while I was using my Chocolate Bar Palette! Let the panning begin!!!!! 

We're days away from 2019 ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฏ!!

801 Replies
Photos463
  • Lorac Mega Pro 3
  • ABH Master Palette by Mario
  • ABH Modern Renaissance
  • Urban Decay Naked
  • Urban Decay Naked
  • Too Faced Chocolate Bar
  • Too Faced Chocolate Bar
  • Tarte Tartelette
  • Tarte Tartelette
  • 20181108_222823.jpg