Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾 Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

@PenelopeBT the peachy blush is ysl radiant blush in 9 and the mauvey one is tarina tarantino Neapolitan lane!  

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.50.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.51.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.51.15 AM.png

Yall I did it! I finished my Elf golden Bronzer!!! To be completly honest i really miss having it in my collection and i told myself i can repurchase it next year when im done more bronzers. 

I also have made good progress on my Mac lipsticks and i think i should be able to finish them by the end of the year. 

I decided to repress my Cover FX Foundation sticks into a pan since i mixed them together every day and i wanted to see if there was a lot more product inside. Spoiler alert: theres so much more inside the tube. 

I finally hit pan in my Nars duo, theres pan in the highlight and in the corner of the blush. 

My Smashbox palette is going to make it into next year, i haven't been wearing much highligh and when i have its becca or the nars.

Speaking of which, my Becca highlight is coming along nicely but it will probably last me till im 70.

My Bang Beauty blush is showing minor use since ive been focusing on my nars duo. 

I have also included a few products i have used up.

Cake dry shampoo

Pantine rescue shots (3 only pictured 1)

My daily vitamins that i kept forgetting to take

A flipping Becca Hydro Set powder that i received in my boxy charm last month... it doesnt last long and it freaks me out when i use it so i made it a goal to finish it. 

A sample of saturday skin. 

And i thought id include that i hit major pan on my Inglot face powder. 

Im super proud of my progress this month and im so excited to see how everyone else is doing!

Great job finishing the bronzer @PaulinaAP and great overall progress! 

Great job on the elf. Kudos for not repurchasing it and shopping your stash.

August and September Update 😁😁

July 2019July 2019

August 2019August 2019

September 2019September 2019

Steady progress with the Mega Pro 3 though my motivation is waning a bit. I have to pull in other palettes to get a full look. Goals for this month are to finish Crepe and Sequoia and get some use out of Violet Grey and Walnut. 

Stick with it, you can do it. I’ve been using the same palette for three years and finishing is going to be so rewarding 

Thanks @howconnie , doing my best.  It's got to go no later than December 31st.

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

1 month update: Finally finished a few of my long term project pan items: ABH Brow Powder Duo in Blonde, Smashbox Brow Taupe (used as an eyeshadow), Lancome Long Time No Shine powder in Translucent, KVD Lock-it setting powder mini in Translucent, Lancome Cils Booster XL, Mac False Lashes Mascara, Tarte colored clay tinted brow gel in grey, and My Burberry purfume mini. Of all of these, the only ones I will repurchase are Lancome Cils Booster and Mac False Lashes, but I’m still looking for a better mascara as there is some raccoon eye throughout the day. Also pictured are my sad pans aka skincare pans. I won’t be repurchasing any of these. I’m rotating in new eyeshadows for the next couple of months to take a break from my project pan shadows. I included a few new project pan items (also pictured). Hoping to make some progress on my mini Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder, my Essence brow pencil in Blonde, and my ABH Fair Contour Cream Kit shade Shadow (my least favorite of the contour shades due to its warmth). Happy panning!

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

I run out of my Urban Decay Primer Potions so quickly and they're an essential for keeping my eyeshadow in place since I have oily eyelids. I feel like I'm always purchasing a new one. lol <333

RE: Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

I wish mine would run out as quickly as yours! I’ve had this guy for years and I use it daily. I’ve found the Too Faced version works better for me but won’t let myself get it until I finish my primer potion!

My favourite lipstick got discontinued, so I'm refusing to let it go until there's absolutely nothing left! MAC lip glaze in Hot Tahiti. My quest for a dupe is ongoing. This seriously goes with everything, I'm so crushed.

@CheekyKeek This used to be one of my favorite colors! Sad to see it go!

Best,
Rebecca

I realize it's more expensive, but have you checked out Temptalia's dupe list? Pat McGrath Flesh 3 looks close on my phone. So does ColourPop A Go Go (on sale until the end of tonight). @CheekyKeek 

Hi all, I hope you don't mind me popping in here. I tried this challenge a (long) while ago, but life got in the way and I completely gave up. At the time, I wanted to pan a specific shade from my Naked Heat palette (which I used to loathe) and I think that's why I never stuck with it... I'd like to try again, but this time with something that I actually use quite often.

Petroleum Jelly & Blistex Raspberry Lemonade Blast +SPF15Petroleum Jelly & Blistex Raspberry Lemonade Blast +SPF15Starting Photo: September 1st, 2019Starting Photo: September 1st, 2019Starting Photo: September 1st, 2019Starting Photo: September 1st, 2019

I'll post updates weekly for the first 2 weeks, then the final update on the last day of the month, so I don't give up like I did before. 😣

RE: Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Updated photos below... Blistex has already loosened and fallen out. I couldn't find anywhere more convenient to put it, so it's staying there for now. Little to no progress on the Petroleum Jelly.

Time to start searching for a new lip balm... Will miss the flavor, but not the feeling!Time to start searching for a new lip balm... Will miss the flavor, but not the feeling!

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Geez where did August go?? I don’t want summer to end! This was a big month for powering through lip and hair products, and for destashing some things that Aren’t Going To Work. I’m looking forward to September because 1) college football and 2) I’ve got quite a few things that are Almost Done 😁 August 2019 Empties: -Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Auburn 0.085 g/0.003 oz -Lancôme Cils Booster XL Super-enhancing Mascara Base 2.07 ml/0.07 fl oz -Clinique Moisture Surge Hydrating Supercharged Concentrate 15 ml/0.5 fl oz -Sephora Rouge Cream Lipstick in R04 The Red 1 g/0.035 oz -destashed: EOS Crystal Lip Balm in Vanilla Orchid 0.25 oz (dries out my lips so badly that they crack in the corners after only a few times; there’s probably 50% or less left) -Katy Perry’s Indi eau de parfum 30 ml/1.0 fl oz -Alba Botanica Hawaiian Moisture Cream In Smoothing Jasmine & Vitamin E 85 g/3 oz -Verb Sea Spray 72 ml/2.4 fl oz -GLAMGLOW SuperCleanse Clearing Cream-to-Foam Cleanser 15 g/0.5 oz -destashed: Body Fantasies Signature Fragrance Body Spray in Cotton Candy 15 g/0.5 oz (chokingly sugary sweet disappears completely five minutes after it sprays out like a fighter jet’s engines starting; not worth trying to use it up) -destashed: Sephora Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red 1.3 ml/0.04 fl oz (got a nice big red zit right on my lip after using this particular sample for the first time—ain’t nobody got time for products that break them out) -Laneige Water Sleeping Mask 10 ml/0.3 fl oz -Fresh Soy Face Cleanser 20 ml/0.6 fl oz -Bath & Body Works Ultra Shea Body Cream in Warm Vanilla Sugar 70 g/2.5 oz -Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo 33 ml/21 g/0.75 oz -Tarte Tarteist Lip Paint in Birthday Suit 1 ml/0.034 fl oz -Crabtree & Evelyn Facial Soap in Verbena and Lavender 29 g/1 oz -Primera Alpine Berry Water Cream foil 1 ml/0.03 fl oz

Wow 2 powder waffle pans this month in Becca Be A Light Palette!

I’m Panning this one too. Great progress 

With August ending this weekend, I thought I'd make my final request for a blush color since process of elimination will then select the last one for me. 😉

I appreciate all the help I've received from so many BIC members for joining me on my blush journey: @GG84  - Authentic for January, @GG84 - Skillful for February, @eshoe - Angelic for March, @ElleElleG - Exhilarating for April and both @sparklekai and @christyrc for the inspiration to use Paaarty for May, @heartsmyface - Fortunate for June, a combo of @SpaceLlama and @heartsmyface - Extraordinary for July, and @emaisgr8 for starting the unanimous vote for Dainty for August.

A little detail about the shades I have:

Spoiler

Blush Update 2019-08.PNG

Tarte holiday blush bazaar top circle (at 12 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Highlight - Whimsical - X Not Included X

-Angelic (peachy pink) – X March X

-Fortunate (pink melon) - X June X

-Skillful (pink berry) – X February X

-Exhilarating (fuschia) - X April X

Second circle (at 1 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Endless (pink raspberry)

-Dainty (melon) - X August X

-Extraordinary (shimmering coral) - X July X

-Highlight - Worthy - X Not Included X

-Authentic (plummy rose) - X January X

-Tarte blush - Paaarty (nude) - X May X

-Bare Minerals Secret (mauve)

Dainty seemed to have a bit of shimmer though I don't know that it was supposed to. Maybe something from Extraordinary got on it, maybe it was leftover on my brush despite washing? Either way, I was able to make the color to my liking without blinding glitter so that was good. It was a nice color. So what's next - Endless in the Tarte palette or the Bare Minerals one? Thanks again! It's been so fun and motivating using each of my blushes throughout the year and I can't believe there's only 2 to go!

RE: Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

@ShortErica I agree with @howconnie Stick with the Tarte and try Endless. It will be a great transition into fall!

Stick with Tarte, the brown will be great for fall

1 Reply
testing