Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾 Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

That makes sense. Plus then I can put my palette away and clear some counter space temporarily. Thanks @howconnie!

Agreeing with @howconnie 's suggestion @ShortErica 

Great work on these, @ShortErica. Love seeing the creativity👍🏼 

Thanks @eshoe! I'm curious what I'll do when I dont restrict myself to only one anymore. Will I gravitate to a few shades or change it up daily? Time will tell.

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 9.26.13 PM.png

I used up my nude by nature primer but my smashbox primer went bad so not as much progress as id like. That being said I did also use up the MUFE mini HD pressed powder and i kind of miss it, it was very blurring. My Elf bronzer is slowly showing more and more progress and i repressed it today since the middle portion was quite thin. The becca highlight will take me eternity and i did not touch either of the blushes. 

Great job, keep plugging away, panning is so liberating 

@PaulinaAP Awesome job! I know that feeling when you have not used something up and it goes bad! It hurts 🙂

Best,
Rebecca

guess who's back?! 😛

work, school and the kids left me very overwhelmed!! toddlers and teenagers are exhausting!!!  huge shout out to  for her real life assistance without you i would have lost my mind in my course!!!!!!

during that time i continued working on things and even took pics but couldn't seem to get it together to update.  and then i was going to update several months worth of progress, got overwhelmed and ran away!  so i've decided to update what i finished and where i am now.  there are missing progress pics but well they're in folders that im not even opening!

what i've finished this year

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.00.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.00.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.01.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.02.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.02.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.02.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.02.53 AM.png

what i'm currently panning

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.03.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.04.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.04.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.05.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.05.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.05.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.06.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.13.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.14.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.14.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.14.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.15.19 AM.png

Wow 😮 I’m impressed all that pan and those Empties 😯. So now that I’ve got my truth and Panning inspired feelings out there. How do you do it? Do you wear makeup everyday? Do a day look and night looks? How did you get through all that lipstick? Was that an empty blush? How did that happen and how long did it take?

I'm impressed by your progress. I can't even remember the last time I hit pan on any my products. I have the bad habit of using an eyeshadow two or three times and then moving onto another shade lol 

@sparklekai WOW! You hit pan on so many items while being so busy! Great job!

Best,
Rebecca

Wow you are killing it @sparklekai ! 👏👏👏

Oh my gosh i aspire to pan as much as you do! Keep up the good work!

I am happy to report the Urban Decay Electric palette will remain in the collection because I so enjoyed splattering my eyes with all of the colors during July. I didn't pan any of the colors, but I did unexpectedly hit pan on my NARS blush. This is definitely going to be added to my 20 products to finish in 2020! 

My palette for August is the Urban Decay Heat Palette because I'm embracing the bronzed goddess look this month. This is a recent palette purchase, so I doubt it will be put in the declutter pile, but the brush that comes with it is TRASH, so that can go.

Hitting pan on a blush is quite a feat. Bravo for your hard work.

OMG, it really is @howconnie. I've had that blush for years, and it took me this long just to hit pan. It's going to take me FOREVER to finish that thing. LOL

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

July was a good month for foils and deluxe sizes! Hoping to knock out a few things in August/September, and keep hitting the lip products hard so by this time next year (or the end of next year) i have fewer than ten lip color products! July 2019 Empties: -Bite Beauty Lip Crayon in Glacé 0.89 g/0.031 oz -Burt’s Bees Renewal Refining Cleanser 170.1 g/6 oz (this stuff smells HORRIBLE) -Pretty Vulgar Faux Reals Extreme Volume Mascara in Black Swan 3.5 ml/0.12 fl Oz -Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer 60 ml/2 fl Oz (used to refill my 1 fl oz pump bottle) -Yes To Superblueberries Facial Cleansing Wipes 30 count -Clinique Moisture Surge 72-hour Auto-replenishing Hydrator foil 1 ml/0.03 oz -Klorane Anti-pollution Detox Shampoo with Aquatic Mint foil 7 ml/0.2 fl oz -Klorane Anti-pollution Protective Conditioner with Aquatic Mint foil 7 ml/0.2 fl oz -Bite Beauty Agave Sugar Lip Scrub foil 0.5 g/0.018 Oz -Sephora Collection Mud Mask Purifying & Mattifying foil 3 ml/0.1 fl oz -Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep conditioning mask foil 11.8 ml/0.4 oz -Calgon Skin Nourishing Body Cream in Parisian Charm 226 g/8 oz -Drybar Detox Original Dry Shampoo 22 g/0.8 oz Mineral Fusion Face Soap 29 g/1 oz -First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Water Cream 9.6 g/0.34 oz -Sephora Cream Lip Stain in 40 Pink Tea 1.3 ml/0.04 fl oz -First Aid Beauty Hello FAB Coconut Micellar Makeup Melter 28.3 g/1 oz

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Good job on the lip products 

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

@KeriCherryDee Such a good idea to cut the bottom of the tube! I have never thought of that and hate wasting the product at the bottom!

Best,
Rebecca

Tomorrow, Tomorrow - there'll be a new blush tomorrow. It's only a day away!

So please help me pick! Thanks to all the BIC members who have helped with prior selections: @GG84  - Authentic for January, @GG84 - Skillful for February, @eshoe - Angelic for March, @ElleElleG - Exhilarating for April and both @sparklekai and @christyrc for the inspiration to use Paaarty for May, @heartsmyface - Fortunate for June and a combo of @SpaceLlama and @heartsmyface - Extraordinary for July.

A little detail about the shades I have:

Spoiler

Blush Update 2019-07.PNG

Tarte holiday blush bazaar top circle (at 12 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Highlight - Whimsical - X Not Included X

-Angelic (peachy pink) – X March X

-Fortunate (pink melon) - X June X

-Skillful (pink berry) – X February X

-Exhilarating (fuschia) - X April X

Second circle (at 1 o'clock) then rotating clockwise:

-Endless (pink raspberry)

-Dainty (melon)

-Extraordinary (shimmering coral) - X July X

-Highlight - Worthy - X Not Included X

-Authentic (plummy rose) - X January X

-Tarte blush - Paaarty (nude) - X May X

-Bare Minerals Secret (mauve)

Wow, these past two months were actually quite disappointing. The blush was just fine but it didn't meet my expectations. I wanted Fortunate to be more orange/peach and it appeared quite pink on my skin. I was worried about the shimmer in Extraordinary because I'm more of a natural/leaning matte type of girl. With too much color the shimmer went POW! in the sun. If you like that, this would be great but just not for me. I'll likely use both in the future but wouldn't gravitate toward them if you catch my drift.

Only August, September and October left. What should I wear for the last "summer" month?

RE: Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Hi @ShortErica sorry I’m late to the party! I definitely vote for Dainty!
1 Reply
testing