Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

*12/15/19 - The 2020 thread is now live: Pan It! - 2020 Challenge!

👋🏾👋🏾👋🏾 Hi All!

Can y'all believe 2019 is literally knocking on the door??  Given its proximity it's high time we get the 2019 Panning Challenge Rolling.

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

May pan be ever in your favor!

Here's some more for Pan It

Here's some more for Pan It

RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

I’m so excited to join this Challenge! I’ve picked 10 items that I want to finish by the end of 2019. Some of them will be done the first four weeks, but I think I’ll do better if I don’t push myself tooooo hard 🤣. Listedin order of what I suspect will pan first: 1: MAC lipstick in Syrup (R). It’s my favorite color but it sucks to have to use a brush. Not purse friendly so it doesn’t get used. I can try harder. 2. MAC eyeshadow in Yogurt. Also a favorite but I want to explore new things so I need to finish it. 3. NARS lipgloss in Hot Sand. Got it in a holiday set. IMO it needs to be blended with other colors to look right on me. Hence, the slow pace. 4. Bite lippie in Glace. I think it was the Sephora BDay gift? I can do better. It’s a good color for me. 5. Unknown concealer. Hopefully, by the time I finish it, the Charlotte Tilbury concealer will be back in stock. I really wanna try that! 6. MAC lipstick in Syrup (L). Too stubby to be in purse but I can try harder! 7. Tarte blush in Paaaaarty. Another Sephora maybe a Play! Deluxe sample? Something like that. 8. NARS lippie unknown color. 9. Kevin Murphy Killer Curls. I bought it and then Killer Waves came out, which is more appropriate for my waves. It I won’t buy Killer Waves until I finish Killer Curls. 10. Hoola bronzer. It will be last bc bronzer never dies. P.S. I want to finish all of these, and not just hit pan. P.S. #2 there are backups of #s 1 and 2 so don’t be surprised if I pan those multiple times lololol.

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Welcome @christyrc !!

Adding items that will be out quickly is a great way to continue morale!!

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

@christyrc LOL that blush, bite lip crayon and bronzer are in my pan list for this year too 😂 the blush was part of a bday gift, as was the bite lip. And the nars lippie I believe is in the color Do Me Baby. I have two DS of those too hahaha, I wore it today! 

RE: Re: RE: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

@cianni this is our year! In 2019 we will pan it!

Re: Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Ok I'm in. I have to go through all my products and pick out some but I'm going to try my best to finish items I have opened before moving on to the next thing. 

Alright I’ve organized everything into three categories: brand new/less than 5 uses, approx half full, and less than half full. This ended up being a little more ambitious than I thought, so I would be happy to make it through everything that is half full or less, and the full sizes will be bonus!

FullFull

Half fullHalf full

Less than half fullLess than half full

I’d love to know how long it takes to finish that Laneige Lip Mask, @cianni! That jar is a decent size and a little goes a long way.

LMAO I recently had similar thoughts about how long it would take to use those @eshoe

Thanks for being our guinea pig @cianni 😉

@eshoe I suspect it’ll be hanging on until November hahaha 😂 we’ll see!

Alright, despite sort of failing miserably on the 10 by 10/10, I'm going to try to do 19 in (20)19. And here they are (sorry for not actually including anything with actual pans):

All the bebes togetherAll the bebes together

Spoiler
MUFE Lipstick
Clinique Chubby Stick Highligher (DS)
V&R Flowerbomb
Skyn Iceland Eye Cream
Shea Moisturizer Facial Moisturizer
DE Lala Retro
Algenist mask
Super Goop SPF mist
Utla SPF mist
Living Proof Restore Perfecting Spray
Christophe Robin hair salt scrub
Ulta body sugar scrub
Living Proof Restore Mask
Ouidad shampoo
Ouidad conditioner
Boscia mask
Herbivore mask (DS)
Tony Moly lip balm
mascara samples

All the brand new productsAll the brand new products

Partially consumed productsPartially consumed products

Close ups of the opened/partially used items

Spoiler
IMG_20181206_161404.jpgIMG_20181206_161501.jpg

Spoiler

It's hard to tell how much I've used on the opaque containers, but I would guess less than a 1/4-1/3 on all of them. I think a few of these things are going to be easy, but some of them might be kind of difficult. I'm mostly worried about getting through the shampoo & conditioner since I wash my hair like once a week. This is the first time I've ever purchased liter sized ones and man, they last forever!

Also, just as a clarification, I'm counting the mini mascaras as one item because I am notoriously bad for keeping mascaras way past their prime. I have sooo many mascaras from years of subscription boxes, so this is a way to get through them in a timely manner. I'm hoping to keep on track of using one every two months.

I have also decided to try to go through my eye shadow palettes in a deliberate way. I have almost 60, I think. So my goal is to use each palette at least once before cycling through them again. I definitely have a tendency to use the same 5-10 palettes all the time, so I'm hoping this way, I will actually go through what I have. I think once I have used a palette, I will allow myself to use it as a secondary/accent palette, but each day I should use a new one for the majority of the look. Fingers crossed, I can stick with it!

Ha, there's no such thing as failing miserably @snoflakefaerie 😉

No worries about not having a product in a pan, you know I'm all for people making this work for them!  Love your inclusion of hair products, from a former hair product hoarder I admire your desire to finish some up!

You're going to kick this 19 in 2019, and 2019, in the rear! 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

Do you like the LP restore mask @snoflakefaerie? it's my favorite! 

@CC3616 sorry I just saw this. I do like the living proof hair mask, I just don't wash or even wet my hair often, so I need to make it a priority to use it probably every time I wash my hair in order to use it up before it goes bad! It's a huge tub!

I wash my hair once a week too @snoflakefaerie, and I agree about it taking forever to get through one bottle of shampoo. I actually started buying the travel size just so it doesn't feel like it's taking forever to finish the bottle. Best of luck with your Challenge! 

It takes me forever to go through a bottle of shampoo since I wash my hair only twice a week but I do use conditioner every day. I buy a regular size shampoo and a large size conditioner. However, I have too much of both right now so I should probably also "pan" those as well. 

That’s such a great idea to buy travel sizes, @sephoraaddict918. It’s better to spend $2-3 more for a smaller size than to toss $29 worth of expired product🙄 I wash my hair 2-3 times a week normally and with a bob and thinner hair, it takes me forever to get through a bottle of anything. Thanks for the tip😉

Always glad to share a beauty tip @eshoe!! 

I was hesitant to include so many palettes until I read @Samtian’s rotation idea. 6F8B9932-008E-4104-A07A-257DEEC6B215.jpeg

4E38934E-81DE-4C68-9822-4FF535F4D5AE.jpeg

E0B72FDF-B39A-4419-B3D7-1462E16EDF7D.jpeg

4ECDA56F-ED06-4DDD-A5CF-8CF1CC92D857.jpeg

9D289D46-D25F-4EAA-BC8E-4A8AD8455AB9.jpeg

777F2860-7666-41EC-95AC-D605BAA821DC.jpeg

Spoiler
The ND palette is so beautiful, and I want to explore more looks with it. My goal is to use one pan a day, working it into my makeup application. The NARSissist has hardly been touched. I don’t really like how any of the shades look on me🙄. I love the Tartlette in bloom that’s been panned in the second column, but it’s so chalky. I would LOVE to find dupe for it!

The Tarte gel liners I use almost everyday but they aren’t that smooth and don’t apply the greatest. I have only tried one other brand’s (Nars) liner pots, and would like to find something in a pot that applies better. 

The MJ O!Mega DS, I just haven’t figured out how to make bronzer work for me. I need to learn how to apply it before deciding what to do with this. The bronzer in the Hourglass Edit 4 goes in like a dream, it’s so subtle, I don’t even have to know what I’m doing!

The Cle Cushion Highlighter is beautiful but touch too gold for me. I think I’m about 1/2 way through it, and might use it for shoulders/décolleté in the summer. About 1/2 way through the Stila Wanderlust as well, it’s easily my favorite of all the Glitter Glows I own.

I originally had an Inglot palette included but decluttered that as well as the smashbox lip palette.

The Bite is part of this year’s Birthday gift, and it’s coming up again, so I need to use this up before it hits 1 year!

A ton of eyeshadow progress already @eshoe !  I'm excited to see/hear your thoughts one the palettes once you've stuck with the same one(s) for a period of time, particularly the ND palette.

It’s messy, that’s for sure @ElleElleG😂 This is a great challenge to get me motivated to work on this one.

3 Replies
testing