Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2018 Challenge!

**11/30/18: The 2019 Challenge Thread is now live: 

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Updated 10/13/18: "

It's an all out panning blitz, aka USE IT ALL UP!  Finish up those lingering products, hit as much pan as you can, and declutter those things you simply aren't in to.  As @sparklekai noted, we need a fresh start to 2019.

Updated 8/2/18: Ten by 10/10 Challenge

Spoiler
We're more than half way done with 2018 which means it's time to reinvigorate our motivation to pan.  The rules are simple, pick 10 things that you would like to finish and let us know what they are (photos welcome). Remember this is about you and your collection. Pick what works for you and know that there are no right or wrong choices! 

Updated 5/31/18: New Mini Challenge

Spoiler

FOUR by July 4th Challenge:

We're adding a mini challenge to the mix.  Check your stash and pick at least 4 items that you would like to complete by July 4th.  Any product goes and you are more than welcome to pick items in your respective Project Pan.  This is a good chance to finish products that have lingered in your collection and it should provide some motivation to persist with other panning projects.  Let us know which items you aim to finish by July 4th and of course provide photos if possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Hey Everyone! As promised, here is our 2018 Panning Challenge Thread.  To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

I will be adding information from the 2017 thread over the next few days but to get us started please share the following:  

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please use this thread to: 

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a committment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particilar shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Need some ideas to help you along the way?  Here are a few:

Spoiler
  • Pan a look:  At the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday Recreate a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an “everyday” look by throwing a different color in your crease or on your lower lash line
  • Roll the dice: pick 2-3 of your most underused shades in your palette and create a look.

For those interested, the 2017 thread can be found here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/Pan-It-2017-Challenge/m-p/3604282#M317495

Happy Panning!

I finally finished my 2018 plan. Most of these I want to...

I finally finished my 2018 plan. Most of these I want to use up. They are some of my older products that I want to get out of my collection. The mini mascaras I will be deciding to keep or throw out. I'm going to wear each of these a week in January then decide if I want to keep them. I'm giving the tarte liquid highlighter and the BareMinerals lip balm until the end of Feb to use up. I'm going to try to hit pan on the BareMinerals ready palette (I'm not sure the actual name), the BareMinerals blush, and the tarte blush by the end of the year. I have more mini mascaras and lippies I'll probably rotate into the mix over the next few months as I finish things up. (I'll post close ups later when I can get the spoilers to work).

Anonymous Insider

Re: I finally finished my 2018 plan. Most of these I want to...

Wow!!  This is an impressive collection for project plan. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make during the year!  You go, @Lazybeautybeast!

Thanks @myinsidevoice! I tried to pick a few easy wins th...

Thanks @Anonymous! I tried to pick a few easy wins that I can finish by the end of January to keep my motivation up. I've been hoarding some mini lippies and mascaras that I know I don't care for, but they are just mixed in with other ones I do like so it is time to rediscover or declutter.

Re: Pan It! - 2018 Challenge!

I've finally hit pan on the dandelion blush from benefit and bybye pores powder(deluxe sample that came with my it cosmetics perk(from rewards bazaar) 

pan.jpg

Anonymous Insider

Woo hoo @mezzotown88! Great job on hitting pan!

@Anonymous Thanks! 

So curious! 

For or any product, how many uses does it take to hit pan and completely finish the product? 

Ive almost never hit pan, sans a couple of products which I used 5-7x a week for YEARSSS! 

You guys should check out the Beauty News channel on YouTube!

They destroy makeup (and sometimes put it back together, if possible) on their Makeup Breakup series, and they've also done the "how many swatches in a _____________ lipstick?" videos. I think they might have done a "how many swatches in a JS highlighter?" but they take requests, too.

@Fernleaf @pinyo

@k617 Oh YES! I saw them on the top trending once when they destroying some makeup and put it back together.  I'll have to watch more of their stuff! I would LOVE to see how many swatches for lipsticks!

@Fernleaf I watched their Fenty Mattemoiselle one and I think that one gave... 300+ swatches! Which works out to 150 applications if you have average-sized lips!

@pinyo I've thought the same thing with how long it takes to hit pan..

It's like trying to see: *How many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop*

tootsie-pop-owl.jpg

*crunch*

That’s so true @Fernleaf! I sound exactly like the owl!

RE: Pan It! - 2018 Challenge!

My Pan It Goals for 2018

1. Hit pan on at least 2 of the shades in the Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Blush Palette

2. Hit pan on at least 3 of the shades in the Marc Jacobs Lolita Palette

3. Finish my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

4. Finish off my Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer

5. Finish up my KVD Lock-It Foundation

Re: RE: Pan It! - 2018 Challenge!

@StyleLynn Good luck, that MJ palette is gorgeous.  Finishing an HG palette is a lot of work.

Thanks @darkiceis! I saw someone post somewhere about swirling the 3 colours together and lately I’ve been doing that and it’s working really well for me so far 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Beautiful products @StyleLynn!  Appreciate that you aim to use them - I can see myself getting stuck with just wanting to look at them and not use them.  Great progress on your Hourglass palette. 

Wow! You've already made some serious progress on that Hourglass palette!! @StyleLynn

I love that UD Gwen Stefani blush palette.  It is a good one to pan @StyleLynn

WOW you all have some pretty impressive goals for 2018.  

I am still evaluating my goals for 2018.  Without question I will do a One Month One Palette from at least January to October 3.  Also considering a longterm project.  For 2017 I used the Naked 2... I may continue on with that or get use out of another old palette for the year, we shall see.

Also, I will update the OP soon!

I have a couple of beauty goals this new year and I definitely want to use up some older products 😉

I will be working on:

Nars Blush in Orgasm - I like the shade on my skin but I'm constantly getting bored with my blush so I'm trying to downsize my blush collection. I'll work on this for a month before switching to a new blush.

Jordan Samuel Hydrating Skin Serum - I like this as a nice eye serum but I've had this for almost a year and I have more serums I want to try after using this one up. This also works as a face serum, so I'm going to give myself 2 months to finish up the serum.

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation - It's not a bad foundation, but it's too heavy and breaks down too easily, under sweaty conditions, for me to really enjoy on a daily basis. I'm giving myself 6 months to finish it.

ELF salicylic acid roller - I just want to either finish this product or make space in my collection.

Cover|Fx Translucent Setting Powder - I'm most of the way through the powder so I just want to finish it within 3 months.

ColourPop Ultra Glossy Lip in Super Cute - I'm so close to finishing a lip gloss that I want it to be done already! I'm hoping a month will be enough to finish it.

Lano lip treatment - This is a nice enough lip balm but it doesn't do enough for me so I want to use it up and get rid of it. I'll give myself 2 months to get rid of it. 🙂

IMG_20171230_1858428.jpg

1,875 Replies
testing