Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2018 Challenge!

**11/30/18: The 2019 Challenge Thread is now live: 

Pan It! - 2019 Challenge!

Updated 10/13/18: "

It's an all out panning blitz, aka USE IT ALL UP!  Finish up those lingering products, hit as much pan as you can, and declutter those things you simply aren't in to.  As @sparklekai noted, we need a fresh start to 2019.

Updated 8/2/18: Ten by 10/10 Challenge

Spoiler
We're more than half way done with 2018 which means it's time to reinvigorate our motivation to pan.  The rules are simple, pick 10 things that you would like to finish and let us know what they are (photos welcome). Remember this is about you and your collection. Pick what works for you and know that there are no right or wrong choices! 

Updated 5/31/18: New Mini Challenge

Spoiler

FOUR by July 4th Challenge:

We're adding a mini challenge to the mix.  Check your stash and pick at least 4 items that you would like to complete by July 4th.  Any product goes and you are more than welcome to pick items in your respective Project Pan.  This is a good chance to finish products that have lingered in your collection and it should provide some motivation to persist with other panning projects.  Let us know which items you aim to finish by July 4th and of course provide photos if possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Hey Everyone! As promised, here is our 2018 Panning Challenge Thread.  To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

I will be adding information from the 2017 thread over the next few days but to get us started please share the following:  

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please use this thread to: 

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a committment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particilar shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Need some ideas to help you along the way?  Here are a few:

Spoiler
  • Pan a look:  At the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday Recreate a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an “everyday” look by throwing a different color in your crease or on your lower lash line
  • Roll the dice: pick 2-3 of your most underused shades in your palette and create a look.

For those interested, the 2017 thread can be found here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/Pan-It-2017-Challenge/m-p/3604282#M317495

Happy Panning!

Re: Pan It! - 2018 Challenge!

That's a great idea @ElleElleG! I'll give it a try.

You’ve got a good starting point on both!

Thanks @scott1201!

Okie I have way too many makeup but these I think I can finish during 2018 😉C4941CC2-2AC0-43A8-9F4D-5AC09D1252CA.jpeg

I hit pan on the highlighter in Nars One Night Stand palette today. I’m so excited 😀

Wow, you've used a ton of that bronzer in that palette! 

I don't think I can ever finish a container of Guerlain balls 😄

@k617, If i can finish that Guerlain jar this year.  It'll be 6 yrs.  I bought it in 2012 (i think) 😉

Wow you already have some stellar progress @blackkitty2014 !!

Anonymous Insider

Such luxe items @blackkitty2014!  You're doing a great job and I know you will hit pan on these products next year! 

I love your high-end items you are motivated to hit pan on, @blackkitty2014!  I tend to buy a lot of high-end and not want to finish them for some reason, so instead I just look at them and come up with items and just not touch them. 

Lots of lovelies in there @blackkitty2014

Thx you @CC3616@Fernleaf, @Anonymous, @ElleElleG.  Most of my stuffs are highend (shamefully admit it) 😉 so my reasonale is if i have to pay $$$$ for them, i'd better make sure i enjoy them and used them up.  In 2017, i gave away many midrange products mostly used once or twice and used up a whole lots of samples.  This year 2018 is all about hitting pan 😉 and i'm excited!!!

I've been a long time lurker of this thread throughout 2017 and I've decided to join for 2018! Perfectly, this fits in with one of my resolutions to use more eyeshadow and participate in BIC.

For background, I'm really good at using up all my skincare, haircare, and daily easy makeup (mascara, eyebrow, tinted moisturizer, face powder(s), lip gloss etc) but struggle to use the "fancier" things that aren't already in my daily routine. 

First, re: my Makeup Resolution. I want to use eyeshadow at least 3x a week. Currently, I have the Tartlette in Bloom palette (which I love) but I just don't use it often enough. This is also my only eyeshadow palette. I really want a warm toned palette (looooooooove the NARS Wanted) but I'm not going to let myself buy it unless I prove to myself I'll use it. I'd like to just show *USE* in this palette by end of year.

Second, NARS Creamy Concealer. This is sad, I know (it's also baby travel sized) but I just don't use concealer as often as I should. I have, thankfully, pretty happy skin but I should use this for under my eyes... which are not as happy... I'd like to use this up by August.

Third, Becca Moonstone. This was my first *fancy* purchase from Sephora back in 2015 when I discovered Jaclyn Hill and needed glow in my life. Obviously already showing pan, but I'd like to have 75% completion by EOY.

Lastly, my OG Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit from Holiday 2015. Man, I love this guy and use everyday. There is some serious wear on the top three shades and I think it's possible to hit pan by EOY. I LOVE Hourglass powders and mostly want to use this up more so I can let myself break into the Holiday 2016, which I was lucky enough to redeem this year in the Rewards Bazaar.

Tarte Tartlette in BloomTarte Tartlette in BloomNARS Creamy ConcealerNARS Creamy ConcealerBecca MoonstoneBecca MoonstoneHourglass OG PaletteHourglass OG Palette

Glad to have you with us @scott1201 !!  Great selections, I can't wait to see your progress!

The Hourglass palette is SO pretty!  I've heard that you can get a lot of use out of them and I would definitely use it every day if I owned it, too!  Good luck on your project, @scott1201!

I have two clay masks that I really want to try and finis...

I have two clay masks that I really want to try and finish by at least the end of February. Both of them have quite a bit of use left in them but they really NEED to be used! I think the only reason that I still have them both is because I really like them and just haven't wanted to completely use them up, but it's time...

Re: I have two clay masks that I really want to try and finis...

Are these the masks by L'Oreal?  I am also a huge fan of these.  The orange one is my favorite.  I was surprised at how much I like them and I actually think they work better than some more expensive masks I have.  Good luck panning these!! 🙂

Re: I have two clay masks that I really want to try and finis...

i'm doing a couple of project pans this year.

• mvp project pan (created by @canoexmakeup on instagram) - my goal is to use 9 higher end products before the november 2018 sephora sale
  • lip service (created by @BeautyNBaseball and @makeupjunky80 on instagram) - my goal is to use up as many lip products as possible - i'm starting with 2 in each lip category and then i'll roll in others as i finish them up
  • lets get naked pan that palette 2018(created by @BeautyNBaseball and @makeupjunky80 on instagram) - my goal is to pan the naked 2 and the naked basics
  • and a random 2018 project pan (i started a thread on it on sunday  community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2018-project-pan/m-p/3595776#M317287) -my goal is to focus on 18 products at a time selected by pulling the numbers from random.org and matching to the numbers on my inventory.  as i finish a product i'll roll another one in

My goal will be to finish off the two shades I've been working on this year.

@Samtian you have made great products on those!  Glad to hear you will continue working on them.

Anonymous Insider

Yes, @Samtian!  Just have to keep chipping away at it.  Saw the pics from the 2017 pan it! challenge thread and you've been making good progress and that will continue next year!

Not necessarily a “pan”, but I finally finished the full size of the Becca Backlight Priming Filter (I wish I took a picture of the empty glass bottle before I recycled it). It lasted about 9-10 months with daily use (give or take using a couple sample size products). I have an excess of primer samples (including the Sephora Favorites primer set). My goal is to use ALL primers and setting sprays completely before buying anything new. I should be set for over a year.

I regularly pan Pur’s 4 in 1 powder foundation. I use it to set liquid foundation and I can go through an entire pan in 3-4 months with daily use. 

testing