Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

So I thought I was alone in this, but apparently many of you did too!

We know we're not supposed to pick. We know it can lead to scars and infections.  We know it hurts.  But we can't help it.

I'm starting this thread so that anyone who suffers with picking can have a safe space and judgement-free zone.  Please feel free to share whatever you need. 

Be warned: some things written here may seem "gross."   Please don't judge or tell us how gross they are.  We got that already, and that's not the point of this thread. 

xoxo,

Lauren

Re: PICKING SUPPORT GROUP

At first I thought this thread was about how to pick the right support group! haha. 

I've done so much damage to my skin by picking at acne or trying to use an extractor to get stuff out of clogged pores.  It's horrible how often it ends up in a really huge inflamed monster that doesn't go away for a couple weeks! When the extractor works, it's great, but when it _doesn't_ work (more often than not), it's really really bad.  

I've been trying to stop lately and haven't touched the extractor in a while.  I think the picking is an expression of frustration at how bad my skin looks and how when I run my fingers over it, I can feel all sorts of yucky bumps and stuff.

@drrragon I agree with the extractor. I couldnt have put it in better words myself - "When the extractor works, it's great, but when it doesn't work (more often than not), it's really really bad."

When it doesnt work I think it makes the pimple go deeper or it agitates the skin unnecessarily.  

I'm late to this thread but I have two cysts/whiteheads on my cheek right below my orbital bone, right next to each other...I am trying SO hard to stay away from them, because I know I need to just let them go away on their own and not pick so I don't scar!

These is my first big breakout in a couple months, so that's not bad.  I used to have a couple on my cheeks or chin at all times.

And this reminds me of something I read in Glamour a few months ago that made me laugh.  This is not a direct quote, but some "famous" makeup artist said "don't put foundation or concealer on your cheeks.  NO ONE breaks out on their cheeks!"  I'm like, come to my house, lady!!!

I pick my boyfriend's back when a zit shows up. He absolutely hates it but I get SO FRUSTRATED when he doesn't let me. 

Wow. I am not the only one who obsesses over a zit. All zits that I get, are eventually popped. And each time, I make it worse, which means I don't leave the house until my "self surgery" as my wife says, makes it go away. NEVER DOES. I cannot learn this. 

Like I said in the other thread, I'm bad about picking at the bottom of my feet.  If the skin just looks rough/dry and not actually peeling, I start picking anyway.  I also use a designated pair of nail clippers to get started on picking the dry skin if I can't get it started with just my nails.  I know some people use razor blade to remove a thin layer of dry skin, and I have done that in the past.  However, there were times it went too deep.  It did not feel good at all, and that spot would start bleeding.  I haven't used a razor blade to pick in a long time, though, thank goodness.  Clippers are a different story, though.

I've started looking into and using foot care products.  I've tried the exfoliating moisture mask thing from Avon, and it is quite nice!  I put in an order for an Avon foot care set to my neighbor who sells Avon, so I am eager to give it a try once it comes in.

If you're in the market for new sheets... look into the sheex brand. They are soft, sweat wicking & so comfortable, but if you have dry feet they get stuck to them. I'm so diligent now on putting cream on my feet every night before bed. It has seriously helped with my foot skin picking. The worst is when i get a blister or callus from running. 

Whoa! I've never heard of these til now. I like my bed COLD at night, I sleep better when it feels like an igloo. Are these sheets super duper soft as well?  I noticed there is a cotton option on the sheex website, but not sure which is softer. Which kind do you have?

The original one, performance sheet, never tired the cotton. You can get them at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Yes, they are soft, it's hard to describe the material, it's like if jersey cotton, satin, & under armor all mated & had a baby, that's what it would FEEL like. 

Thanks for the info, I'll be making my way there to check em out after work!

I hadn't heard of them either.  I will have to check them out at Bed Bath and Beyond, especially since a coupon came in the other day lol.

I do the same thing, Kimmi.

I have a thing about not wanting any dead skin- so I pick at edges until I bleed.

Have you tried any foot products to try to slowly stop picking?  I can't remember what all is in the Foot Works kit I ordered.

So it's been like 5 days since i have picked at my face!! And it looks sooooo much better!!! My crazy breakout is going away. And i did everything i could to resist the urge!! Even if it meant picking at my nail polish!!

@arielaaaaaaaa  that is awesome!! nice work. seriously I can usually go only 3 days without picking something.

Thanks @roxystar4! 

I'm actually doing a little better too! I kept reading in this thread about how much better everyone's faces look when they don't pop/pick and it is keeping me motivated to stop!

Ahh looking at this thread helps!! I did pop one pimple but it was legit ready to come out. I did not want that huge bump on my face when i was going out to dinner! But other than that i was totally good! I hope everyone who participated in this thread finds a way to stop their bad habit!! It's so worth it!

My biggest problem is trying to squeeze out blackheads... which then turn into legit zits a day or two later because I irritated my skin so much. I am incredibly guilty about using a needle (yeah, crazy me) to try to get little blackheads or bumps out.

I have the same problem with the black heads on my nose! I squeeze them out and then the next day and see pimples start forming, but nothing i've used helps with my black heads, so they need to come out every once in awhile!

Girrrrlll, you know that the only place a needle belongs is in someone ELSE'S skin!  ha ha

Hahaha, so true! Except when I'm letting nursing and med student stick em in me for practice Smiley Very Happy

derm rotation any one?  or urgent care cyst draining- ick!

Good for you!  Isn't it amazing how it's WORTH IT to leave things alone to have so much more confidence and so much more time when you're not having to spackle things up.  So wished I'd done this years ago!

Highlighted

Congrats on your week of no pick'n!

I used an enzyme peel then squeezed my nose last night to watch all the black heads come out. I feel bad for cheating the no pick'n support, oh well maybe next time. 

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • DDFAcneTreatment1.jpg