Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

No-buy

I went way overboard with purchases this month (2 orders with Sephora last week alone).  So I decided to put myself on a "no-buy" for the entire month of July.  Has anyone successfully done this before?  I know I won't be able to read fashion and beauty blogs or open emails from my favorite stores, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: No-buy

I'm totally on board with this. You're right, the thing to do is not open emails from stores. When I'm really trying to limit myself, I just quickly delete them without letting myself read them and it helps a lot.

I've often thought how much fun it would be to have a part-time job at Sephora! The rule would be, I could only spend the amount I earned there, so if I wanted more stuff I'd have to work more hours. Wouldn't that be great? It would finance all my beauty purchases. The problem is, like prettyinpa, I have no more room for stuff. If it gets to the point where I have to box things up and put them in the attic, then it's time to stop buying!!!!!

I just found and read through this thread.  I am definitely going to have to go on a NO-BUY for the month of August.  I've already blown it too bad to start in July cause of all the darn sales going on and I can't pass up a bargain (even when I can't afford it).  So my June and July spending is one of the reasons I need to stop buying, plus we are going on vacation in August so I don't need to be spending money on things that I don't need cause vacations end up being so expensive anyway.  Right now I don't NEED anything (except I may have to break my no-buy rule whenever the UD Anniversary Eyeshadow Collection comes to Sephora, ha ha!).  Seriously, kalex, I understand the need to cut way back and I'm really going to give the no-buy a try in August.  I have been lazy about shopping my own stash and need to start doing that again anyway.
Smiley Happy

@prettyinpa:  I'm with you about working at Sephora!  I'd love to work there helping people choose makeup/skincare and doing makeovers and I'd be happy to do it for free, but then I couldn't buy all the makeup I'd want to buy as it came in stock so I'd need a paycheck afterall, ha ha.  If we both worked at Sephora, I could come help you organize your new makeup-room addition right after I got through building a makeup room onto my house, ha ha.
Smiley Happy

Tiff you are so right! I am going to go through my containers and see what's old is new again and what I forgot about! lol

@tenngal, did you try the Boscia No  Pores No Shine treatment yet? I was interested to hear that you bought it; I've been wondering if it's any good.

I'm doing very well with my no-buy. I was able to resist sale items at Urban Decay, the sale at Tarte, and I'm deleting emails from beauty.com without reading them so I can't be tempted. Before I started the no-buy, I got 4 orders from Sephora in a very short time period so there's nothing I could possibly need.

@daisy346:  Way to go on sticking to the No-Buy!  I've been doing the same thing as far as deleting e-mails from Urban Decay, Ulta, etc., so I won't even be tempted.  You asked about the Boscia No Pores No Shine Treatment and I wanted to let you know that I've only been using it for about 5 or 6 consecutive days so far.  As far as "immediate" results (upon application), I can't really see that it reduces the size of my pores but I do think that it may help a little with keeping oiliness at bay.  Since I've only been using it for such a short amount of time, I don't know what the long-term effect will be.  However, I'm going to keep using it in hopes that over time it will reduce pore size like it promises.  It does have a nice cooling sensation on my skin when I first apply it. 
Smiley Happy

@prettyinpa:  I've been deleting all of my e-mails from all beauty sites, including MAC, or I'm sure I'd be wanting the set you're wanting right now, too, ha ha.  Just use that willpower I know you've got and say no to the eyeshadow!
Smiley Happy

@tenngal-  I have been deleting the emails from beauty sites. A so called friend (maybe I should classify her as FrienemySmiley Mad) told me about this one because I have been complaining that I wish UD would make a grey NAKED palette. I don't think I can persuade her to give this to me for Labor Day, either.Smiley Sad

However, I may have a plan- maybe I can ask for this for Christmas and just have it put aside until then. Of course, then I would have to wait 3 additional months than if I just took a chance and waited to get it in October, now I am in a tizz. 

@prettyinpa: HAHAHHAH, I came by this thread to re-commit to my no-buy, only to discover that there is now a grey eyeshadow palette? I LOVE GREYS...WANT! Is it expensive? I must google this immediately...

...errr...google it and put it on my wish list, I mean...not my "go out immediately and buy" list...a list that does not exist anymore (kind of). Must not cave!

Lately, it's been sobering (and helpful) to think of the money I spend in terms of what else I could be doing with it. $100 at Sephora might not seem like a lot at the time, but really, that's 1/3 of a plane ticket I should be buying to go see family / friends across the country.

: )

@katie- So far I have been resisting, but it is oh-so-tempting.

The palette is from the MAC Me Over Collection and called Lady Grey and consists of cool light taupe mauve (matte), muted silver lilac (frost), light green grey (satin) and mid tone grey (velux pearl), $38. Plus there is a new Fluidline in charcoal with gold that I would love for fall. I haven't bought from MAC in ages since their recent collections haven't been that fascinating to me. But this one....

Ooh, Hubby just said he would buy it for me since I was so brave at the dermatologist today (it was pretty much nothing, but sounds scary) and because I have been whinging around the house about this palette and being on no-buy. Yipee!!!! He doesn't get why I am on a makeup diet because he figures I already have a ton of makeup, what's one more palette, and they haven't cascaded on him recently anyways, so what? I can wait on the Fluidline, they tend to be in stock for awhile anyways. 

Meantime, I am not opening any more emails from the Frienemy that sent me a picture of this palette, she is on the delete list like an ad from beauty companies!

This time not only am I "No-Buying," but I'm actually returning a former buy.  It's that darned Urban Decay Eyelash Curler that I had all the problems with and I've given it all the tries and failures that I'm willing to put up with.  So this time it's going back to the store and I'm not trying a replacement.  I thought the last one Sephora sent me was going to work OK.  Even though the top and bottom metal pieces didn't align perfectly straight on this one (as on one of the previous ones I tried), they aligned well enough that they would squeeze together and curl my lashes.  The only problem was (and it's a big one) is that after the third or fourth squeeze the pad would pop out.  I'd have to stop, insert the pad again and finish my lashes.  The pad always popped out whenever I "pumped" it to give my lashes that extra bit of curl, too.  I tried a different pad thinking maybe that pad was defective, but that didn't help.  I give up!!!  I love the whole concept of the opened-ended eyelash curler, but this one obviously needs to go back to the drawing board and be better constructed.  So anyway, I am not only "No-Buying" but returning.  I've been sticking to my "No Buy" commitment for a month now!!!

Smiley Happy

While my no-buy thing for make-up is going great, I'm now having another obsession: horse wear!!!!! I even got cowboy boots, even if I once swear I would never get some!!!!!!(At least, they're for the barn, not to wear to work or any place else!) I really think I'm a compulsive buyer, and I need help!!!!

171 Replies
Conversation Stats