Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Beauty Confidential

No-buy

I went way overboard with purchases this month (2 orders with Sephora last week alone).  So I decided to put myself on a "no-buy" for the entire month of July.  Has anyone successfully done this before?  I know I won't be able to read fashion and beauty blogs or open emails from my favorite stores, but any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: No-buy

Hellllllllllll no to the December No Buy. I've been on back to back no buys for months, and the holidays are coming up AND I'm starting to run out of things.

But good for you!!! *standing ovation*

I'm with sephoramusthave on the no to December no buy! This month I already got NAKED 2, a Tarte blush/bronzer duo kit, and have to spend my $20 gift card yet. The no-buy from the middle of September to the end of October nearly killed me, I ended up spending way more when I was done than if I had just been able to shop all along. I think the deprivation set me into starvation mode and I wasn't able to go into a Sephora or Ulta without dropping a bunch of money. I did end up returning a bunch of stuff (Sephora Eye pencil that made my eyes itch, but only the purple one, the green one is fine), 2 eyelash curlers (UD one kept falling apart and the Tarte one pulled out my lashesSmiley Mad), a Buxom Lip pencil that was defective and a MUFE lipstick that the makeup artist talked me into and since I was in a hurry, didn't check out thoroughly, it was a strange color in natural light). 

Plus I tend to shop for gifts for other people and end up with stuff that was too cute to pass up for myself, so I'll just not even try. Maybe next year....

Dont get me wrong, I love the no buys sometimes because lord knows that I have too much stuff that I dont actually need right now BUT the point of me doing the no buys the last few months was so that I could save up for December and now thats its here y'all best get outta my way. I've already bought over 30 beauty items (posted them all in the hauls thread) for gifts and for myself AND I have that $15 Sephora giftcard thats about to expire in less than a week and I am NOT letting that thing go to waste.

But I'm supporting the people that choose to do a no buy this month, y'all rock!

@sephoramusthave- Go big shopping or go home!  LOL  I'm with you there!

I'd go through your history and look at the purchases you've made and look at your points history if possible. Are you using everything? Did you send back the items you didn't end up liking? People often underestimate how much they spend and it's been proven in numerous studies regarding health, diet, finances etc. that tracking is one of the best ways to counteract this.

I'd add up the $ spent on makeup and if you can't track that w/Sephora's history, try counting w/points and adding up the # of point perks you have. It will give you a realistic idea of your expenses. You can try to imagine other things you could have spent the money on or how many hours of work it required to accumulate that much money.

Before I make a purchase and get caught up in how much I want it, I try to ask myself:

• Do I really need it (almost always, the answer is no)
  • Will I actually use it? (Good question for clothes - esp if I don't have good things to match it with or I start having to imagine buying more things just to wear the initial article of clothing. Another good question for expensive clothes: Is this piece quality/can I see myself wearing this in 2 years? 5 years? 7 years?)
  • Is it worth the $?

Often when I reason through the decision, I'll realize that I'm just fine w/o buying anything and walk away easily Smiley Happy

I'm so with you on the no-buy thing!! I've spend way too much money in June... I can't afford anything before at least august!!!

@ charlotte: what a good idea!! I used that "technique"a few times during the past year and it can really work!!

@ pocketvenus: I think I don't even want to know how much I've spend this last year on make-up and skincare!! I've already know it's way over my original budget, hehehehe!!!

Its DEF possible but be prepared for sudden withdraws Smiley Very Happy Haha, just kidding. I've done it before and it isn't TOO bad. Just look at your make up collection and really think about if there is anything that will run out by the end of the month that you really can't function with out. Such as your eye primer or daily foundation. But not your 'sorta my favorite bronzer that lives in the back of my drawer that i would love to restock even though I only use it every once and awhile' type of thing. 

@kalex. No-buy is definitely hard for me as well, but it can also be fun if you challenge yourself. There was this thread I found where you Shop your own Stash that really helped me stick to my No-Buy rule. If you look through blogs and magazines and really want something, see if you're able to shop through your own stash and find something comparable. I find that this really helps and also keeps you busy.

Good Luck! I'm 100% sure you can keep to your No-Buy rule. Smiley Wink

Thanks ladies! Smiley Happy

Serendipity - I'm definitely going to keep swapping!  Spending $2 on shipping to get something "new" is so much cheaper than buying new and hoarding stuff I'm not even using.  Fingers crossed on another TSB!

Mermade - So basically I won't be able to talk to you for the entire month of July then?  Smiley Happy

Charlotte - The notebook is a great idea!  I bet I'll have forgotten most of the things I wrote in there by the end of the month.

Waterbaby - Yay!  You should consider swapping on MUA.

Pocketvenus - I'm going to write those questions on a card and put it with my debit card in my wallet.  I think  I'll add, "Do I already have something just like this?"  I've noticed I tend to buy the same style/shades over and over.

Ohhenri - Are you with me and waterbaby?  Smiley Happy 

Victorian - Withdrawls are almost a certainty.  Smiley Sad

Tiffany - I forgot about that thread!  Let's revive it!

@kalex: We can still TALK!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy--Just not about make-up!!!

After my next 2 polish hauls ( I have them planned,) I'm going on a no -buy, too!

Shop ypur own stash part two is a GREAT idea!!!!

What gets me through these times of saving vs. spending? Going through everything I have already, and organizing It all. Sifting through and giving away or throwing away items I'm not all that happy about. Giving away items that are just sitting there taking up space makes me feel so much better. Plus knowing that Items I've been hoarding are being appreciated by others to me is such a good feeling it takes the place of the rush of the immediate satisfaction that I get when I buy stuff. The trick is not to do it all at once. Start with makeup move to clothes and other items slowly.

I'm with you on the no-buy! I NEED to enforce this no-buy for the rest of July / August because, quite frankly, there is nothing that I "need" and I seriously need to be more aware of how I spend my money, since there are other things I need to accomplish, savings-wise (travel, etc.). It adds up to a staggering amount! Eee. That said, I have to commit to a no-buy period, and to "shop my own stash" and I am saying it here to hold myself accountable.

This is going to be difficult with all of the fall collections coming out...but we can do it, right?

: )

Well since I missed the Shu Uemura promotion for the free portable eye liner brush, no need to grab anything there.  Drat though cause I love that brush but there is no way to buy it in the US anymore.  And the selection of their new campaign is disappointing in comparison to their other global sites (already out of stock and I feel bad for anyone looking at pink shades of blush).  Temptation adverted.  I have a feeling that I will not see any good promotions around my birthday.  Smiley Indifferent  (the regional product block wall is to my no buy advantage)

I thought about the Guerlain palette but then I decided since it was not limited edition that I could wait around fall when those will be nice colors to wear (and when I have saved properly).  At this point, I can wait for fall.  Trying to enjoy the rest of summer and perhaps something fun within the next month or two.  I've also been meaning to donate some clothes and items because some of it I just dread or do not feel like wearing anymore. 

At this point, it's mostly refilling things when they run out.  And I am looking more for a nice colorful lightweight scarf.  No luck yet.  Otherwise, no buy for me as well. 

So this weekend I went through my swap and TSB cupboard to get rid of some extra packing materials and to neaten up. O. M.G. When I saw HOW MANY padded mailers and boxes I had under there I decided it was time to jump on the no buy bandwagon. I actually DELETED the UD friends and family sale email TWICE!!! It's like they have to send it again if they notice you didn't shop to make SURE you go shopping!!! Those of you that know how much I love UD know what a challenge that was. Eventhough I don't 'need" anything, I know I would have easily found things to buy in the site ESPECIALLY with 25% off on top of it!!!!

I am deleting many emails "site" unseen now so that I don't end up  on Hoarders with katie!!!! LOL!

@lovely1reigns: You're absolutely right -- I think that is exactly what I need to do! Half the time I find things that I rediscover (and that subsequently get put back into rotation).

kalex wrote:

Thanks ladies! Smiley Happy

Pocketvenus - I'm going to write those questions on a card and put it with my debit card in my wallet.  I think  I'll add, "Do I already have something just like this?"  I've noticed I tend to buy the same style/shades over and over.

Lol, that's a good one to add! I definitely gravitate back to the same palettes.

@tiffanybt: I think if I worked for Sephora, I would end up on Hoarders. No, seriously. I don't know how you do it!

: )

@katie-  Yep, I totally agree with you about working at Sephora!  I would love to be able to try out all the new products and be able to help people create different looks or improve their makeup technique, but Sephora would never have to pay me a paycheck.  I would just spend it all right there on payday!  Plus I would have to build an addition onto the house, I can barely fit all my makeup in my closet, even with swapping on MUA and doing a periodic tidy up/throw out.

Though if I got an addition built, maybe tenngal could come up and visit me and katimae and help us organize. If she had 2 stops to make, it might be worth the drive!

I'm totally on board with this. You're right, the thing to do is not open emails from stores. When I'm really trying to limit myself, I just quickly delete them without letting myself read them and it helps a lot.

I've often thought how much fun it would be to have a part-time job at Sephora! The rule would be, I could only spend the amount I earned there, so if I wanted more stuff I'd have to work more hours. Wouldn't that be great? It would finance all my beauty purchases. The problem is, like prettyinpa, I have no more room for stuff. If it gets to the point where I have to box things up and put them in the attic, then it's time to stop buying!!!!!

I just found and read through this thread.  I am definitely going to have to go on a NO-BUY for the month of August.  I've already blown it too bad to start in July cause of all the darn sales going on and I can't pass up a bargain (even when I can't afford it).  So my June and July spending is one of the reasons I need to stop buying, plus we are going on vacation in August so I don't need to be spending money on things that I don't need cause vacations end up being so expensive anyway.  Right now I don't NEED anything (except I may have to break my no-buy rule whenever the UD Anniversary Eyeshadow Collection comes to Sephora, ha ha!).  Seriously, kalex, I understand the need to cut way back and I'm really going to give the no-buy a try in August.  I have been lazy about shopping my own stash and need to start doing that again anyway.
Smiley Happy

@prettyinpa:  I'm with you about working at Sephora!  I'd love to work there helping people choose makeup/skincare and doing makeovers and I'd be happy to do it for free, but then I couldn't buy all the makeup I'd want to buy as it came in stock so I'd need a paycheck afterall, ha ha.  If we both worked at Sephora, I could come help you organize your new makeup-room addition right after I got through building a makeup room onto my house, ha ha.
Smiley Happy

Tiff you are so right! I am going to go through my containers and see what's old is new again and what I forgot about! lol

1 Reply
Conversation Stats