Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: September 2022

Another month has passed, and a new season has started.  Looking back, hopefully it was filled with plenty of favorites, and only a few misses (and mehs!).  This is the place to share what just didn't work out for you.

beauty-products-and-makeup-on-black-background.jpg

Re: Monthly Misses: September 2022

My miss this month was the Necessaire sunscreen. It is heavy, hard to blend, and the white cast is bad. Luckily it was a GWP so I wasn’t out any money.FC137A84-2DD6-49E7-AC94-21548E201DA7.jpeg

I love Drunk Elephant Silkamino ™ Mega-Moisturizing Shampoo 8.4 oz / 240 mL for its performance and the heavenly vanilla scent. 

The Drunk Elephant Sili Whipped Body Lotion is supposed to have the same scent, but its scent is strongly of plastic and chemicals.  It's strong enough that I won't use it, even if the formula is good.

sili whipped body lotion.jpg

I think it is very exceptional for the beauty of women they can have it ..

First Aid Beauty 10% Vitamin C Brightening Serum 1.7 oz / 50 mL was a no-go for me.  I was super excited for it, because it came in an AIRTIGHT package.  So many antioxidant products don't, and I just have no use for them.  The bottle seemed like really cheap plastic which would probably break on me in the future.  The product squirted out way too much, and some of it wound up on the bottle.  I think FAB knows about this issue, since they specifically sd in the instructions to hold the bottle at a 45 degree angle.  The most disappointing thing was the product itself.  I found it hard to spread.  This was such a missed opportunity.  I own three other FAB products that I use routinely, so I'm not used to being dissatisfied by this brand.

Years and years ago I stocked up on Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum.  I finally used up my last bottle, and when I bought a new one I found the formula had changed.  When I had last checked years ago the packaging changed, but the formula remained the same.  SO, sometime after it they changed the formula and I missed it (shame on me!).  Anyhow, the current version is too thick which makes it difficult to spread.  I've used it twice and once it performed about the same, and once it was sub-par.  Either way, I'm now stuck trying to find a replacement for a product I've used for over a decade and was a HG.

My first attempt at a replacement was Sally Beauty Generic Value Products Smoothing Serum as they make a knock-off.  The results just weren't up to snuff.  I'm also leery of their formulation claims, as they say it's based off of the ingredient list from 2010 but I personally doubt it.  

So, if anyone knows of a good dupe for Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, please tag me.  A silicone serum is an important product for me.  For reference, I have thick, wavy, frizz-prone hair that is dry.  (I am aware of John Frieda's Frizz Ease, and I use that on my ends but haven't tried it on my lengths for decades.)

@greeneyedgirl107 Thanks for your thoughts on the FAB serum. I enjoy FAB products a lot, and was interested in trying their new vit c but it might be worth skipping! 

@alexasteph You certainly might want to skip it, but you could also try it in-store and see for yourself.  You never know - you personally might like it.  I was so excited for this when I saw it in an Ulta catalog - I had to do a double-take!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 40 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos3
  • beauty-products-and-makeup-on-black-background.jpg
  • FC137A84-2DD6-49E7-AC94-21548E201DA7.jpeg
  • sili whipped body lotion.jpg
testing