Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: September 2021

Another month has come and gone.  Hopefully you were able to post your successes on the Monthly Favorites: September 2021 Edition! .  This thread is for the less memorable products and experiences...Because you can't have the good without the bad, right?  Post about what items didn't work for you, and why.  Hearing about the less than stellar can often be helpful for others, and cathartic for ourselves.

image-asset.jpeg

Re: Monthly Misses: September 2021

@lmasterThat's weird; do you have well water by any chance, or hard water with a lot of iron?  Or, I wonder if the coffee extract was made from green coffee beans, and that colored the scrubbing bits.  Regardless, gross.

@Ispend2much6 yep! Well water here, you think the water is making it turn colors?

@lmaster  Well water here also (we have so much in common! lol)  We have a water softener, but when it doesn't keep up and the iron gets in the water, I noticed that there is a bluish tint to certain things.  Like, when I rinse out my coffee mug, (I think it's because it reacts mostly with acidic substances) even my dry cuticle skin gets stained.  I don't dye my hair when we only have hard water because it literally makes my hair color change.

I am learning so much here, more than I ever anticipated @Ispend2much6 @lmaster 😂

@eshoe  Glad to be of service! 

Oh wow!! We've tested our water many times @Ispend2much6 to make sure the levels are safe and they were always excellent 🙏 but I do notice hard water, nothing that has changed my hair color though 

@lmasterWe have neighbors that don't use a softener, just straight well water, and they are fine.  It just depends on the depth of your well, etc. 

Just last night, our water was going through a cleaning cycle so the water was temporarily back to normal, and the water soaking my coffee cup was blue. 🙂

Well, I suppose then 

391C10C3-066C-4BCE-B8E8-19FC46C07119.gif

@Ispend2much6 @lmaster 

My kids would probably enjoy blue hair 😂 @Ispend2much6 @eshoe 

When we went into quarantine last March, my daughter and I dyed our hair pink and purple, @lmaster @Ispend2much6. We used semi-permanent color. Had I known it would last this long, I would have used permanent.

At least you had some fun!! @eshoe 

@lmaster   I thought about that possibility once I made my post.  Blue hair is fine, if you are intentionally making that happen!

@eshoe   Better blue coffee than blue hair! lol

True, @Ispend2much6!!

Oh my gosh!! @Ispend2much6 

@lmaster @Agree this was awful! It smelled like old burnt coffee! 

@Kim888 literally used it twice and that was pushing it 🙄

I have two misses for the month.  The first was Lancome Monsieur Big Mascara (I can never tag Lancome).  I bought it when it was 50% off at Ulta, and was super excited.  I knew as soon as I opened it that it wasn't for me.  The length of the wand was too short, and the brush was too chubby.  I also found the mascara to be too thick.  I tried it, but didn't put much of an effort in and immediately reached for my Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect.

My second was Revolution Skincare London 10% Glycolic Acid Glow Serum.  I didn't like the texture at all.  It reminded me a lot of The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum .  I felt like it made my skin tacky.  Also, my skin burned a little the next day.  I don't mind TO, as I use it at night.  But for the Revolution Skincare London to be tacky wasn't acceptable for me since I use it midday or early evening.  I guess I'll still be looking for a replacement for my Alpha Skin Care Essential Renewal Gel (10% glycolic acid) as it was discontinued.

greeneyedgirl107_0-1632789044055.jpeg

Thank you for the warning about Monsieur Big @greeneyedgirl107 . I still have a couple of tubes of it in my stash. Hoping for the best. BTW the Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect was a fail for me. It was extremely clumpy. I did rediscovered Lancôme Definicils High Definition Lengthening Mascara that I mentioned in my monthly favorites. 

@Loretta55 It's always so interesting to me how different mascaras work (or don't work!) for different people.  I've never has an Essence mascara be clumpy.  However, I will say that I think when I first started using it I got better results.

I tried the Lancome Definicils a while back and liked it well enough.  I just thought it worked as well as whatever drugstore I was using at the time.  I love mascara and would like to try new ones more just for fun, but the mini tubes are too awkward for me.  And here's a question I have for those on BIC on the know - are the wands/bristles in the minis essentially the same as in the full size?  I really have no idea.

And ya know what's caught my attention recently?  I don't think I've ever really seen much mention on BIC about Maybelline's Great Lash.  I remember hearing for like two decades about how popular it is.  The thing is, I really like the formula - just never the brushes.  I've tried it with three different brushes (one was the more or less original brush which I hated, one was a wider brush which I didn't care for, and one was one of those rubber-y brushes that I also can't stand and degraded quickly over time).  I know you can swap out brushes, but I never had the wherewithal for it.

Sorry to talk your ear off!

My eyelashes are long but light at the ends @greeneyedgirl107 . My lower eyelashes are light at the roots and at the bottom. I try to use a volumizing formula. I prefer a smaller brush also. 

14 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 446 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos7
  • image-asset.jpeg
  • download.jpe
  • greeneyedgirl107_0-1632789044055.jpeg
  • IMG_20210920_200955546.jpg
  • 20211002_184810~2.jpg
  • 391C10C3-066C-4BCE-B8E8-19FC46C07119.gif