Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: September 2021

Another month has come and gone.  Hopefully you were able to post your successes on the Monthly Favorites: September 2021 Edition! .  This thread is for the less memorable products and experiences...Because you can't have the good without the bad, right?  Post about what items didn't work for you, and why.  Hearing about the less than stellar can often be helpful for others, and cathartic for ourselves.

image-asset.jpeg

Re: Monthly Misses: September 2021

One miss which was sooooo promising at first.

5916AFCD-34B7-488E-8DE1-99BA0D660768.jpeg

Spoiler
I love the shade (a sparkly medium-dark brown). But the SEPHORA COLLECTION Long Lasting Eyeliner High Precision Brush 01 Black in this Chocolate Bronze shade applies unevenly and wears off with the slightest smudge. The handle feels awkward in my hand for some reason, making it difficult to apply. I originally planned to pick up a couple of backups as this was a sale item, but it appears to be discontinued. It is a bristle brush, which I prefer to a felt-tip, but  perhaps the bristles are just a tad too short (or long?), making application difficult. I would love to find this shade elsewhere, so begins the hunt.

A few misses for September. The first is this Mediheal mask. 

20211002_184810~2.jpgI was expecting this mask to be amazing, I've really enjoyed most Mediheal masks I've tried but this one was terrible. I love hydrogels, but this one felt like it absorbed moisture from my skin rather than add any. There was a ton of serum in the package, but the mask didn't seem to hold it well. Very disappointing. 

The second miss is more of a concept. I was holding off on a mask I really wanted to try. I tend to save my faves or things I really want to try. When I went to use it, the cap was broken and it had dried out a bit. 😭. I need to get better about using the products I'm excited about, because things go bad and my stash is ever expanding. So hoarding faves is my miss. 

Ughhhh hate that feeling! @haleyvvvv 

@haleyvvvv   I know what you mean.  I unexpectedly had some treasured lipsticks go bad, way before they were used up.

I had two misses, which both threw me off.

E.l.f.'s acne putty primer gave me cystic acne, but it did it insidiously.  I used it twice, but not concurrent.  Loved it.  So of course, I went full every day, and started breaking out.  Why would I think it is the acne primer?!? Especially, given the fact I've used a different primer with SA before without a problem.   It's either the concentration or another ingredient, but my skin does not like it.  I was getting to post a pic of it for the favorites thread, but when I went to shower, it dawned on me that it was breaking me out.

Also, the cover Fx cleanser is meh, which I was super excited about.  It's good for a light cleanse at the gym, but that's about it.  I still have to use a wipe or makeup remover cloth or something.  Also, as soon as you dispense it, it starts to dissolve.  I've never been so confused by a cleanser.

@danielledanielle  I hope you heal quickly; cystic acne can be painful.

Oh boo about the primer, @danielledanielle!! That's good to know, I'm definitely not going to use mine now!! Sorry about these products!! 

@haleyvvvv , you could be fine, I just know it didn't work for me

Melt Cosmetics Brunet Eyeshadow Palette Big miss for me. I’d originally skipped it and then bought it on impulse on sale. Unfortunately I bought it from Beauty Bay and can’t return it. The colors barely show up, look powdery, or aren’t flattering. I’d rather put up with the finicky Melt Cosmetics Mary Jane Eyeshadow Palette but come out with a better look.

Oh bummer, @makeitup305 😕

@makeitup305 Aww that sucks so much.  Their shadows are usually really good.

I had just a couple of small misses this month:

I can't tag just the one scent but the 54 Thrones African Beauty Butter Collection Deluxe Tin in the Moroccan Blue Tansy scent (received in my Sephoria bag) was a no-go for me.  I HATED the scent and it felt so greasy on my skin that I found myself wanting to wash it off immediately.

rms beauty Straight Up Volumizing Peptide Mascara 0.34 oz/ 10 ml did absolutely nothing for my lashes.  It sort of tinted them but didn't make my lashes look any longer or thicker.  One coat, four coats, they both looked the same.  The only positive: it's a mascara that won't ever look clumpy because it definitely doesn't build on itself! 😂

@CookieGirl1 same!!!! I can't handle the 54 butter scent omg what were they thinking!??

@lmaster it smells...rancid.

@CookieGirl1 I was wondering if it actually did go rancid

@CookieGirl1 I feel your pain on the butter. That scent is just too medicinal for me.

@eshoe I WANTED to like it so badly 😞

@CookieGirl1 , I liked the scent but did not care for the consistency.

@danielledanielle I know that some people really like the formula but it just wasn't for me.

I felt like the 54 Thrones African Body Butter reminded me of scented vasoline @CookieGirl1 . Not a good feeling but maybe during the dread of winter I may appreciate it more. Thank you very much for the heads up on the mascara.

77 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 446 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos7
  • image-asset.jpeg
  • download.jpe
  • greeneyedgirl107_0-1632789044055.jpeg
  • IMG_20210920_200955546.jpg
  • 20211002_184810~2.jpg
  • 391C10C3-066C-4BCE-B8E8-19FC46C07119.gif